ClusterBusters

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. manishkpratap

Simple Technique to Abort Headaches Right at Onset!

For those interested, few research papers that discuss how pressure under axilla (armpit) changes breath flow. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f47c/f0c9f3820eef41093d9815b9515cdb884eef.pdf https://www.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/jappl.1970.28.2.162 https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/971d/f7658038c42ad218da06b9887217385e4a23.pdf A more informal description of the technique - https://soranews24.com/2017/11/13/stuffy-nose-ruining-your-day-this-handy-japanese-lifehack-will-clear-your-sinuses-instantly/ I would say easier done than said in this case. Your can try it right away. Your nostril may not be blocked/runny right now, but still, on account of the normal nasal cycle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle), one of the nostril will be "dominant". You can apply pressure under that armpit and notice a reversal in dominance. It happens in under a minute. The best way would be to lie down on sideways if you can, say at home. That way you don't need to apply pressure the armpit. I suggested this alternate method for situations where you cannot. There are no hard and fast rules, the point is to pay attention to the affected nostril, ensure that it stays dominant, flow of breath isn't impaired. As soon as you sense it getting blocked/runny, do it again. Personally, I do it for about a minute every 5-10 minutes, till I am certain that the ache has fully subsided, which takes anywhere from 40-50 minutes.
  3. Freud

This cured me- hopefully will help others

Telling most people here to give up caffeine isn’t an option. They rely on energy drinks and shots to help abort a CH. it doesn’t work for me but helps a lot of people here.
  4. After reading of the Beer to avoid I found this in our wine cellar! Here's to a pain free evening to all! Jeff
  5. I don't. Of course I'm using Oxygen and Imitrex. But when I used Oxygen alone I usually needed 10-15 minutes of 15lpm to abort an attack. Now it's usually 2-5min of 10lpm. When I'm far from my O2 tank (or forget to replace it in time) I always have Imitrex on me, and it usually works fine. But even the mighty Imitrex works better if you do a simple thing like putting pressure on your eye orbit, or gently pressure the maxilla area of the face (which inhibit parasympathetic activity to some degree). Or put a popsicle (because there's no ice pack in sight) on the base of your scull (just where they give you the GON shots to the greater occipital nerve).
  6. Yesterday
  7. Freud

@SHG do share how do you abort most of your hits in 2-5min other than oxygen or triptans? I’m very curious.
  8. Semantics are important. It makes a difference when you call CH a disorder instead of a disease, and it make huge difference if you think in terms of causes and cures instead of triggers and treatments. As for special abortive methods and Technics - I have quite a few of them myself. I had CH for over 20 years before I was properly diagnosed (in some point I already knew, but doctors had proved themselves so useless that I didn't even try to seek help with them). So I had a lot of time to come up with all kinds of methods, many of which I'm sure all veterans here already know. I also learned a lot about triggers, and managed to be PF for several years - but this always comes to an end sooner or later. From my experience, most methods lose effectiveness with time. This can be explained in several ways, but it's a fact that many clusterheads report "cures" which do work for some time and than just don't. Other methods remain useful, but aren't enough when the CH gets worse, which it usually does. Personally, I always try a few tricks before reaching for the Imitrex shot, and I abort over 90% of my attacks in 2-5 minutes. But in the long run, it's a good idea to concentrate more on prevention, and keep the abortives for breakthrough-attacks. It's best to realize that BEFORE you get to a point where you have 30-40 hits a week.
  9. ClusterSwarm

What have you got to lose? Try it . Major point is to start cutting out the caffeine right away then cut down on the histamine rich foods.
  10. Brain on fire

Thanks, we like 1st hand reports. Great! Got any statistics for us? Research?
  11. ClusterSwarm

This is working for a bunch of people
  12. ClusterSwarm

a guy named eagle on cluster headaches.com
  13. Freud

“And we can actually focus on the technique rather than getting lost in semantics.” Not for nothing but, saying you found a “cure” for CH isn’t “semantics” when you haven’t cured yourself or others. Unfortunately I reread your edit and the whole thread, may be you would have a better reception at http://Clusterheadachs.com Do you even know what busting is or tried it? Back to your thread, what exactly does pushing on your arm pit do? With a fist, a finger, there is a lot of territory under there. How long do we hold pressure for. Does tickling help too? Edit: let’s be clear tickling the arm pit.
  14. Brain on fire

1st restricted thread I've ever seen. Can we ask where the armpit comes into play?
  15. Oh and I can’t say enough about the others recommendations about getting high flow oxygen set up. It should be prescribed at 15-25LPM via a nonrebreather mask or the cluster opti mask. If you don’t have oxygen. Do some reading here. It would also be a good idea to click on the blue button at the top of the page and read as much as you can. If you have questions about oxygen or busting ask away...
  16. Just a hunch but the errections are probably nothing. Being in medicine all be it far away from reproductive sex/ urology ( I’m a heart and lung surgery PA) I have never heard of an errection being a sign/ symptom of something bad going on. On the topic of busting/ using mushrooms. It is important to do at least 3 doses 5 days apart when trying to abort a cycle. It usually doesn’t completely abort a cycle w one dose. How much did he take. Is he using sumatriptan? It must be stopped for 5 days prior as it can block the mushrooms from working. Sometimes it takes more than 3 doses. Everyone is different and every cycle can react different as explained in Moxi’s rule about CH. hope this helps and you guys find relief soon brian
  17. Brain on fire

Please source. Thanks.
  18. MoxieGirl

My CHer fiancé wakes up with CH & erection?

Hi Be123, I always have a lot of respect for partners of clusterheads. Well done for being there for him and coming here. MoxieGirl's first rule of clusters: No two clusterheads are the same, and just as soon as you figure yours out, it changes. FunTimes and CHf have already given some great advice. I used to think the worst time to get a cluster was when I was driving. But then I got one during sex, and that's worse. Getting fitter and eating better is always good advice. I've recently started a Low Carb/High Fat diet with Intermitted Fasting, and it is changing my life and having a positive impact on my headaches. Let me know if you want more info. Slapbacks, although not fun, are a good sign. An erection during a night time attack, I think this is the first I've heard of it. But probably isn't outside the realms of normal. A brain scan is always a good idea and should be one of the first things a good neurologist would do right away when diagnosed. There are probably three possibilities. 1. There is something more serious going on that is causing the clusters and erection combination. Unlikely as he's had clusters for years and the erections are new. 2. Clusters are running as normal (disregarding the changes in clusters as this too is normal) and something more serious is causing the erections and the timing is just coincidence. Not sure what that would be, but query Dr Google. 3. Clusters are as normal and erections are a new twist and not serious. I didn't often get clusters while I slept, most of mine were daytime attacks. But when I did, it was always, or almost always, associated with REM sleep. And men quite often get erections during REM sleep. Maybe in the past he didn't get clusters during REM and was woken up from deep sleep. But maybe now he isn't sleeping as deeply, or the change in clusters have synched them up with REM sleep and thus also with erections. I was a MoxieBoy before I became a MoxieGirl, so know more about nighttime erections than one might suspect on the surface. Mox
  19. Thanks CHf, usually there is a reason results were not included in a published study. Not saying this study is one of them but if it stops working at all after 3 weeks & the side-effects get ugly... Put on your pharma executive shoes for a sec... Would you include it & still market the drug successfully?
  20. Brain on fire

Does Psilocybin really work?

Yes, it does.
  21. Brain on fire

Newbie here from Iowa

Hi Jeler, apologies for chiming in late. You came to the right place. Welcome.
  22. CHfather

Be123, as FunTimes says, your fiancé should not be relying only on psilo (if he is), and he should have oxygen (if he doesn't). Some things I've learned over the years are discussed in this file: https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/6213-basic-non-busting-information/ Down toward the end of that file, there is this short paragraph, which could possibly be relevant to your situation: "Some people have reported that sex stops their attacks. Other people have been amazed that it’s even possible to consider sex during an attack." Overall, related to a different question you asked, I don't think there is evidence that general exercise helps directly with CH. Of course, it can affect overall mood and probably psychological resilience. As with all things CH, there are different experiences. Some people find that vigorous activity can make an attack less severe after the attack has started, but many people don't find that it helps; some people find that vigorous exercise can bring on an attack when they're not having one, others have attributed a decrease in attacks to exercising vigorously. So he'd have to find out where he fits in all those two-sided possibilities.
  23. FunTimes

If he has never had a head scan it would be worth looking into. No harm in ruling out tumors, aneurysm or any other head condition. As far as the clusters being different in this cycle that is totally normal. They will change all the time, some with each cycle and for chronics like I am they change almost monthly. One month I will get them in the mornings the next they are over night. What type of abortive does he have? Oxygen would be the most important thing and firs on my list to get.
  24. Hello, I have been learning more about CH as my fiancé of 5 years has had CH since he was 16. He is 40 now. He learned a few years ago about psilocybin. For him, it caused his headaches to go away and come back in two year cycles. So since we’ve been together, he’s had a cycle in 2015, 2017 (both in the fall) and now is going through a cycle. He took psilocybin and has had slapbacks. He says this cycle feels differently because he has had more attacks and now he’s waking up several times with headaches and an erection. Even though erections are normal in the morning for him, he’s never had a CH too. He’s worried he might have a tumor or onset of an aneurysm. He doesn’t exercise a lot either and I wonder if exercise helps? He’s planning on trying another dose to see if the attacks will stop. We thought we would post here to see if others have experienced this...he is concerned. I am thankful for cluster busters.
  25. Last week
  26. Rod H

Newbie here from Iowa

I hear ya. The number that I usually pay attention to lowering is the kip scale when in cycle. The rest can wait til the hell is over and I'm a painfree functioning adult again.
  27. Jeler

Newbie here from Iowa

Rod H Thanks for the information. Working at maintaining my Blood Pressure currently and afraid and Energy Drink might be inclined to raise my numbers! Jeff
  28. xBoss

Does Psilocybin really work?

Yes, it works.
  1. Load more activity