What's next?

Arcan

Hi Christin,

Being glad to see you're not alone is a common sentiment when folks first arrive here, then that often gives way to "glad I found out how to get some relief!".  :)

Please stay with us here and I'll be looking forward to reports of both your mom and yourself finding significant relief. :)

In the meantime, today, assuming you don't immediately have your O2, you could always try the harmless "put your nose up to the blasting car air conditioner vent and deeply breathe the freezing air" trick at onset of an attack. This will abort an attack for some of us some of the time, as can extremely vigorous exercise - as in sprint all out 'til you drop.

And feel free to bring your ice pack to the car with you.  :D You could even have some ice cubes in your mouth onthe cluster side.  8-)

Keep in touch.  Let us know how it's going.

Will do! Though I doubt (and hope) that I won't have any exciting news to report 'till next cycle, perhaps longer if I plan a trip to Amsterdam one of these days (I'm from Belgium) ;)

But I'll try and stick around to remain up to date and ask some more questions.

Too bad I can't try the licorice though, I sure could a use a little pick-me-up :P

Thanks again for your help, it's good to know I won't have to go through all this alone.

Hi Arcan, glad you found us!

Hi everyone!  I was diagnosed with having cluster headaches 6 years ago.  The doctor thought it was stange because I was a 20-something year old female having this killer pain behind my right eye.  My cluster period lasted about 6 weeks and then vanished until this year.  About 2 months ago, my 18 month old son started waking up every hour (he went through a bout of seperation anxiety...) and because of this, I was not getting much sleep.  Anyway, I started getting headaches again, they were painful, but I was in denial that they were the same as 6 years ago. 

About 2 weeks ago, my mom started getting the same kind of headaches.  She went to the doctors and was diagnosed with having cluster headaches as well.  We think it is strange that we are both having a cluster period at the same time.  My headaches are not always so bad, I only get them at 2am, and not every night anymore.  However, I always feel like my face/eye area is sore, and so is my scalp.  I am afraid to go to sleep because I fear getting one of those eye splitting, painful ones, so I stay awake as long as I can and just pray that I don't get one tonight.  I guess I just wanted to know how others deal with the pain and the fear that comes with it.  I take 2 advil before bed since pain meds do NOTHING for the pain once it is already there.  All I can do is go downstairs, get the icepack, and pace around the room.  I pray, I whimper, I promise God that I will do anything if He just takes away the pain...  Just glad to see I am not alone!

Have you tried Melatonin? It helps a lot of people get through the night WITHOUT hits... It helped me. I stopped it after I started busting though.

Mystina