total newbie

SusRe

Total newbie here, just had my first cluster headache 5 days ago. At least that's what my dr "thinks" it sounds like. I did get am MRI and it came back good with only sinusitis showing . I've had cold from hell at the exact same time...could there be any correlation between having a sinus infection and the onset of the cluster? Dr prescribed rizatriptan which didn't help at all. I feel like my headaches build until they get to a certain point and then explode and are pretty continuous. My left eye is droopy and watery, only had one very short aura at the onset of the first headache and am not sensitive to light. Right now Advil Dual or Acetaminophen helps the most but of course I have to take them about every 5 hours around the clock which puts me at over double the recommended daily dosage. I have to wonder if Covid has played a factor as I had a terrible bout close to a year ago and all sorts of weird things keep happening. I hope to get in to see my primary Monday but I feel lost and would love any advice offered. Thanks so much for any insight on this hellish thing!

1 hour ago, SusRe said:

correlation between having a sinus infection and the onset of the cluster?

Not sure if there is a correlation with the "onset".. Seems to me that you get it or you don't... (genetics unfortunately do play a roll) , unfortunate event either way indeed. During the effort to control the bunny.. YES there is what I believe to be  a correlation. If your system gets drowned/depleted due to any infection/virus it is my personal belief that the door gets opened due to depletion of of the immune system and inability to respond properly. I say this because I was diagnosed with a chronic sinusitis nearly 12 years prior to the onset of CH. I have had several attacks after being sick and after sever bouts of allergies that have opened the stage for the cluster bunny to preform. The meds you mention putting a damper on the pain are not indicative of CH. I'm not saying you do not have it... 

1 hour ago, SusRe said:

Right now Advil Dual or Acetaminophen helps the most but of course I have to take them about every 5 hours 

The above is pixy dust to a Cluster Head.. Does noda .. Absolutely will not touch anything but shadows "if your lucky"  To me.. this sounds like "migraine with aura" dreadful for sure and I've been wrong many, many times ! I pray you do not have CH and that a decent Dr. can sort this mess out for you!

• Like 2

I'd agree with @BoscoPiko. To me it sounds more like migraine. Not sure why a doctor would diagnose cluster headache after only one attack. I would think they would want to hear of a cluster pattern before making that diagnosis. 

As noted, ibuprofen/ acetaminophen don't help for cluster headaches.

Not to downplay migraine, as they are also very painful. But, to me, it doesn't sound like cluster (which is good news).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BoscoPiko said:

Not sure if there is a correlation with the "onset".. Seems to me that you get it or you don't... (genetics unfortunately do play a roll) , unfortunate event either way indeed. During the effort to control the bunny.. YES there is what I believe to be  a correlation. If your system gets drowned/depleted due to any infection/virus it is my personal belief that the door gets opened due to depletion of of the immune system and inability to respond properly. I say this because I was diagnosed with a chronic sinusitis nearly 12 years prior to the onset of CH. I have had several attacks after being sick and after sever bouts of allergies that have opened the stage for the cluster bunny to preform. The meds you mention putting a damper on the pain are not indicative of CH. I'm not saying you do not have it... 

The above is pixy dust to a Cluster Head.. Does noda .. Absolutely will not touch anything but shadows "if your lucky"  To me.. this sounds like "migraine with aura" dreadful for sure and I've been wrong many, many times ! I pray you do not have CH and that a decent Dr. can sort this mess out for you!

8 minutes ago, Darren said:

I'd agree with @BoscoPiko. To me it sounds more like migraine. Not sure why a doctor would diagnose cluster headache after only one attack. I would think they would want to hear of a cluster pattern before making that diagnosis. 

As noted, ibuprofen/ acetaminophen don't help for cluster headaches.

Not to downplay migraine, as they are also very painful. But, to me, it doesn't sound like cluster (which is good news).

Just now, SusRe said:

to be honest it could've been more than one headache or a continuous one or a headache that went away and then came back. The day I was in to see here she gave me a painkilling shot also and I was fine most of the day until evening when the pain started intensifying by evening, The OTC helps the pain and am able to function to a certain extent until it gets stronger and then basically explodes. I guess the Dr is looking at it being a cluster because i's in the  in the same spot behind my left eye and the droopiness and the eye watering and no auras or light sensitivity. Can other migraines present like that?  I'm just hoping to hang on until Monday and see what else she says or has something to try or can send me to someone more knowledge. Thanks you for taking the time to help.

If it is migraine, you would think that the rizatriptan (Maxalt) would help, since that's what it's for.  It NOT a cluster headache medication (or at least not a first-line CH med).  Not saying it isn't migraine, of course, just observing.  

I will jump to my usual possible diagnosis (NOT a doctor) of some form of hemicrania.  The eye droopiness and watering are symptoms of hemicrania, and the continual pain with occasional explosions could fit, too.  Hemicranias are typically resistant to triptans (although it's possible that the "painkilling shot" that helped you was a triptan, and as I've said, rizatriptan pills typically don't help CH in any event, so that isn't much of a test).  Here is some information about one form of hemicrania: https://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/hemicrania-continua-symptoms-treatment   Another is paroxysmal hemicrania, which you can look up.  A "good" thing about hemicrania is that there is a highly reliable preventive, Indomethacin.

There isn't enough info right now to do anything but guess and be sure all the options are being considered.  I am just providing this information so you can be sure you and your doctor is considering/aware of all the options.  For all I know, it could in fact be sinus-related and/or Covid-related.

You might want to look over this file, just in case -- https://clusterbusters.org/forums/topic/6213-basic-non-busting-information/ -- and maybe you'd want to try some strong coffee or an "energy shot" such as 5-Hour Energy, since those typically help reduce CH pain.

Doctor oddities appear much too often: In this case, diagnosing CH (that's a good thing, if she is correct) and then prescribing a migraine medication that is explicitly not for cluster headaches (https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/rizatriptan-oral-route/description/drg-20065868#:~:text=Rizatriptan is used to treat,group of medicines called triptans.).  If this painful situation continues for you (I hope/we all hope it doesn't), you're likely to get the best diagnosis and treatment at a headache center. 

• Like 3