Workplace Portable O2 Canister issues.

Bailey

Hello,  

I am in the US and I need some resources to provide to my HR Department regarding use of Portable Oxygen Equipment. 

During my last cluster cycle, my HR required me to get FLMA and allowed me to store my oxygen at work but required that I, a male, use one of the breastfeeding rooms and leave the portable tank there and get a key from HR to use it.  As I was receiving awkward looks from colleagues when accessing one of the two the private room, I did not find this the best place for me and might make some female coworkers uncomfortable.  Thankfully most of my headaches are at night and I went into remission soon after. 

Flash forward 3.5 years and a new cluster cycle, there is a new HR team.  I again filed FMLA and was approved.  I inquired about bringing in a portable 02 canister (in roller cradle) and told them the history and they said the same setup would likely be used.  I suggested alternative treatment areas (not the breastfeeding room), and they stated that I would need to have property management mount it to a wall in a suitable area because if it falls over it could travel up to 40 mph and is a fire hazard. 

Thankfully, again, my headaches are mostly occurring at 3am (yay me) and I have been able to rely on sumatriptan auto-inject for any daily reoccurrences.  I am also only in office 2 days a week and 3 at home, but the thought running out of the shots does give me some anxiety as I have a limited monthly supply.  I asked my HR Department if I could just leave the o2 in my car in the parking garage and am awaiting response.  I checked with the O2 provider, and they said it was acceptable to leave the tank in my car since it was underground but wouldn't write any sort of approval letter for my HR Department.  I guess I don't understand how my o2 tank, in its cradle, with regulator is not safe, but an underground garage full of cars with gas tanks somehow is less dangerous.

It is just very frustrating that I am following all the steps, but it is difficult to bring my prescribed o2 canister to work without resistance.  I suggested that HR have a written policy on how to handle future oxygen patients access care while in the office.  I only need the o2 situationally, but what about a person that needs it every day.  If you have any helpful resources, it is appreciated.

... took an e-tank to work in a cart for 25 yrs.... colleagues considered it "jon's dog". private office so none of the issues you are dealing with. also had tank in car... so that sounds like YOUR best option. doubt anybody is gonna write you an approval letter.... everybody is concerned with liability and lawsuits. however, an approach that is not personally confrontational may be through your state Labor and Industries (or similar) who can describe the "reasonable accommodations" an employer must make for worker with "disabilities" (may need docs letter for that). i'm thinking of how an employee with COPD or other lung issue must be accommodated w/o isolation in a "special room". the safety issue could be valid depending on type of business... but i really doubt would be in most cases. heck, our engineers had oxygen, acetylene, and tons of ammonia to deal with... one more tiny tank was just amusing.  a retail or non industrial setting, or even segregated industrial void of open flame is incredibly safe (especially in a specifically designed holding cart). part of the argument i would have made but didn't need to was "i perform all my duties and more... if you just allow me an occasional few minutes to deal with this you will be retaining a valuable employee"... or something similar....

.... so glad you at least HAVE the O2, that is a BIG deal for some..... sorry for the hassle in using....

Edited by jon019
  • Like 2

I had a D tank in a nylon carry bag that I took to work every day while in cycle for years. I shared an office with 2 others who knew what the deal was, and they were on board. One day I got a visit from the "safety department" and was told in no uncertain terms I could NOT bring "that tank" into the building anymore. I tried every angle and the best I could do was "go to the medical department and use theirs". Never mind that they were a literal 10 minute walk from my office. A director 2 levels up heard about the whole affair and took up my cause. The answer was still no and that pissed her off to huge degree.

Long story short.....she told me to go to my car ANYTIME I needed O2 (only a couple minutes away) and if anyone said anything negative about me doing that, I should refer them to her.  I never heard a word after that.  

Some people think O2 tanks are just short of tactical nukes. It's hard to get around that sometimes. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

...wow...if Racer couldn't get this to work w/o hassle, i despair!!. we got enough to deal with w/o well intentioned ignorance depriving us of a remarkably effective abortive, that for many makes possible a job, career, even sane life....

...one other thought besides state employment agencies...i cannot imagine that the major O2 suppliers (like Lincare, Air Gas, etc) do not have some sort of insight, advice, procedure to assist their customers out in the real world. i know the advent of the incredibly compact concentrators now make this kind of problem nearly moot.....but for most of us with CH that's not an option. i'd call around ...starting at corporate level....

• Like 2