Interesting convo

kat_92

I was recently on another CH page that I am part of, and I read a very interesting comment from a user. They claimed, it is better worth it to try sumatriptan before trying any kinds of shrooms or lsd. And I commented stating that overuse of suma can cause rebounds, longer cycles, and even chronic cases. He seemed to disagree. Thoughts? 

15 hours ago, kat_92 said:

Thoughts? 

... yeah.... he's wrong!

.... crap like that is what makes FB such a dangerous minefield for clusterheads... mixed in with that absolutely essential care, compassion and vital info is stuff like this that does a disservice.... especially to the folks new to CH and those w/o the time, desire, ability, means or motivation to go in depth. i mean no disparagement to the many good folk on the many sites... and i'm there too.... but the info is just so scattershot and unreliable it's scary.... with much difficulty checking the bona fides of the poster or researching a topic....

... the pioneers of busting figured a better way.... the info is right here.... and the Yales and Harvards of the world are finally getting on board....

.... if the anecdotal reports from thousands of clusterheads on the dangers and consequences of overuse (even "proper" use) of triptans isn't enough.... it's right in the medical literature and on the dang label/insert of the script!

Edited by jon019
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, jon019 said:

..yeah....he's wrong!  

Got to love a straight shooter:) I completely agree with @jon019 on this one. 

11 hours ago, kat_92 said:

They claimed, it is better worth it to try sumatriptan before trying any kinds of shrooms or lsd.

This bit just makes me wonder about the influence being interjected on this individual. Seems that it could be a Dr. that disagrees with alternative medicine or even a family member that is unsettled by the thought of medicating with alternative (non-pharma) meds. Either way, my personal experience with triptans was awful. Sure, I got a good 20 to 30 minutes or so of reprieve from the use of the nasal sumatriptan and sometimes with maxalt as well. In the end what sealed the deal with me on triptans was a slowly ramping up cycle where I had believed my neuro that said I  absolutely must take the medication at the slightest hint of an attack (I believe this to be true for migraine not so much CH). About a year ago, I did just that and experienced the looongest, worst hit filled cycle of my entire CH career!  I hadn't understood the way my CH worked at the time and thought even one spike meant the end of the world as I knew it. Turns out that sometimes I get random spikes then nothing for months after. Since ditching the triptans (knock on wood) I have never experienced anything of that sort again. Do I still keep a few nasal sprays in my purse.. Yep I sure do because if I'm in a critical client meeting where I could stand to loos a project for the company I could use 30 minutes to buy me a close and am willing to suffer to keep the ball rolling at the firm. Anyhow I felt compelled to respond to this as my experience with triptans was so bad that I have road out many a hit without them for the simple fact that I knew in the end I would be better off for it.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, BoscoPiko said:

because if I'm in a critical client meeting where I could stand to loos a project for the company I could use 30 minutes to buy me a close and am willing to suffer to keep the ball rolling at the firm.

... this made me smile cuz i been there... once was lead on a critical sales presentation to some very important clients.... was seated between company President and VP having to prove myself to them too. a hit started right when i did, and quickly got to an 8...there was NO out, i just had to keep going for 45 mins. when the tears started leaking hit side i turned my head so they wouldn't see. might have been the bravest thing i ever did in my life..... and i have no recall of anything i said.... but i made the damn sale! they might have wondered why after the handshakes i ran out of the room tho......:huh:

.. thanks for sharing... triptans have their place... i never go anywhere w/o a Zomig ns..... but only as a last resort abort for years now. too many of us know exactly what you experienced.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jon019 said:

...yeah....he's wrong!  

As someone who somehow hasn't had any bad experiences with countless injected doses of imitrex, I still agree with Jon'n Bosco, whom I may now refer to collectively as JoBo. :D

Same regarding this:

6 hours ago, jon019 said:

....crap like that is what makes FB such a dangerous minefield for clusterheads...the info is just so scattershot and unreliable it's scary...

I do thank my lucky stars I was able to find my way to this community/forum and embed here before FB groups were a thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Bejeeber said:

JoBo. :D

Ok Jeeb.. This bit reminded me of pulling a shaunjeeber!:lol:

41 minutes ago, jon019 said:

and i have no recall of anything i said....

This too has happened to me bud. After all was said and done I strangely got kudos for sealing a deal that I remembered noda about. Was later told that I spoke to the trades involved in the project along with current economic escalation impact..  Maybe God has a soft spot for us.. I sure like to believe as much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jobo have hit the nail on the head as far as triptans are concerned.  They have there place in are God forsaken world , but God so easy to over use because they are right there and can give such great relief in minutes , but over use means prolonged cycle rebound attacks simple as that .Been there done it !!!!!!! Not a good place to be . I jabbed at every sign of an attack a few years ago,I just didn't want to face the pain , I had o2 but didn't really know how to use it . I found this forum a few years ago know ,I've learnt so much . I'm off the triptans just like @BoscoPikoand have learnt how to manage my CH. Again just like bosco I do carry a triptan around with me when I'm out and about if I'm in cycle .Don't want to be thrashing about on the floor bang my head on the ground ,Will end up in a straight jacket (again) 

• Like 4

I've not been in cycle for a few years now and O2 is my primary abortive when I am. I have not used a triptan in very, very long time, but I still carry one in my pocket everywhere. I will not be caught out and get slapped around again. 

They have a place in our treatment plan but IMHO they should not be a primary abortive. The more you use them, the more you need to use them. People may deny that, but they are only fooling themselves. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Racer1_NC said:

I've not been in cycle for a few years now and O2 is my primary abortive when I am. I have not used a triptan in very, very long time, but I still carry one in my pocket everywhere. I will not be caught out and get slapped around again. 

They have a place in our treatment plan but IMHO they should not be a primary abortive. The more you use them, the more you need to use them. People may deny that, but they are only fooling themselves. 

Well said. I could not agree more. 

• Like 2