Bare with me

kat_92

I so appreciate being able to come on here and talk through any concerns I’m having with my CH. it’s much easier than talking to family. My trip to Puerto Rico is 5 weeks away, and I wanted to go over my plan with you all to see if there is anything I should add, avoid, or improve. 

2 weeks before my trip I plan on busting with MM at least twice. I also talked to my doctor about increasing my verapamil slightly. He told me it would be fine for the trip, since my blood pressure is good. He thinks I’m on too low of a dose anyway. I am on 80mg 3x per day currently. I do not have a way to get oxygen on the plane or at my destination; so I will have to do without. I am planning on loading on D3 and the cofactors a week before the trip. As for MM, a SPUT will be taken on the runway as well. I will be plenty hydrated and I’ll buy some Red Bulls before hand. 

I expressed to my doctor that my concern wasn’t so much getting hit on the plane (although that would SUCK), but mostly having multiple hits while on my vacation. He gave me a steroid taper he said I should take if I start to experience hits while over there. He also told me that could help with the flight back as well to avoid a hit. He also prescribed Xanax and Valium for the flight because he said any high stress leading to the morning of the flight would likely trigger an attack. Any thoughts here? The only nasal spray I have is the ergotamine. Much love to you all. My hope is I am pain free and I can start traveling and enjoying life again.

• Like 3

You really have your contingencies in a row, especially with the pre-busting, D3 loading, and that steroid taper security blanket in your back pocket. IMPRESSIVE ARSENAL. I vigorously salute this plan. :D

I would just advise to get the shots form of Red Bull (or whatever energy drink), since those are way more convenient than the cans for travel. I've purchased such shots at the little airport stores by the gates before, but no guarantees there.

Seems the only insurmountable gap is the previously discussed denial of the zomig spray you've suffered. I'd say f**k the ergotamine, but you know that's not just because it has been found ineffective by others, but also because I'm biased from my personal experience. 

I suppose others may opine on whether it's still of any use pursuing the O2 for after you land.

My prediction is you'll have a great, CH uneventful vacay, and will be raring to go on more and more of these afterwards.

• Like 2

With your plans as stated Kat, I don't see you needing the O2. If you do, head to the fire station perhaps? They are often more helpful than the ER. Considering where you are going, it may just be hard to put your hands on period! With that being said, your plan sounds solid. Perhaps pack some extra SPUT's just in case? 

I would get that Pred script filled here of course and keep it on hand. But I am prone to doing that just on general principles for emergencies. It pays to already have it before you need it! In the last 20 years, I have kept a taper pack on hand at all times for emergencies. It has saved my bacon more than once too. So, if there is a refill on that script, get it while it is still in date. 

Your doctor is pretty smart to give you the Valium. I am surprised that he gave you Xanax too, but hey, stash away what you don't use of either in a sealed bag and keep it for another time. Valium has a longer half-life, so it is better in that it lasts longer. Fill your scripts, do your busts, and have a ball!!! :wub: Fingers crossed that you come away from this trip with a huge smile and a newly found freedom. 

• Like 2

kat', I suppose you have checked this out thoroughly, but from looking on google, it seems like there are lots of welding O2 rental places in Puerto Rico, and also maybe a place where you could rent a concentrator, which might be better than nothing (https://www.rentittoday.com/medical-equipment-rentals/san-juan-puerto-rico-portable-oxygen-concentrator-rental-for-cruise-ship-22966).  Maybe it's more of a hassle than you want to go through on vacation, or even too much of an expense.  But maybe worth bringing your mask and regulator just in case.  

Another thought is that you might try some of the FaceBook CH groups and just put out a request for whether there's anyone who lives in PR who might be willing to loan/rent you a tank, or can recommend a place to get one.

(I don't expect much to come from this, but I sent a message to the Puerto Rico Tourism Company, asking about getting O2.  Many years ago, I actually worked for them, doing training at resort hotels on the island.)

Story about a PR neurologist: https://www.latinoleadersmagazine.com/marchapril2022/2022/5/11/i-can-feel-your-pain-dr-franchesca-fiorito-headache-center-in-puerto-rico 

• Like 5

You know... You @CHfather have helped so many (my self included) on here, I think you get a full pass with PJ wearing, a bit of weight gaining and aging to boot as well!  I couldn't re-pay you for all the words I have had the chance to noodle on. Good Man indeed you are. Thanks for being you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1