Tapering off Hydrocodone

scottr1966

Ok so I've been on Hydrocodone for two weeks for my herniated disc. I no longer need to take it now that the pain is much less. The dose is 7.5mg and i was taking 4 per day. I have never had the opportunity to taper off....always went cold turkey and the withdrawals were hell. I would like to try and minimize the wd. I've heard that tapering will do this. Like I should take 3 per day for 5 days, 2 per day for 5 days, and so on until I run out. I'm down to 5 pills so I would have to get a script for just enough to do the taper down. Anyone have experience with this? Does it really diminish the wd?

Thanks!

Scott

Scott,

If you have been taking Hydrocodone for only 2 weeks, I wouldn't think WD would be any problem. I'd probably take one in the morning and one at night. Or one a day until what you have is gone. Take it at the time of day when you might need it most.

I had to take it for about a week. I ended up taking one at night the last 3 or 4 days with no problem. But I have heard, that everyone is differant. ;)   Leslie

u will probably feel like trash for five days or so after stopping, there are other things u can use to "entertain" the opiate receptors while you taper down, Kratom is one off the top of my head, apparently it acts on the same receptors as opiates, and will ease the withdrawl symptoms of opiates, kratom has some sedative effects and its considered a very light drug. you can eat it or make a tea, it tastes like roadkill and will provide a slight buzz if u will,

somethin to think about and research if you are having a rough time, chances are you may find something else to entertain those receptors until the opiates are clean from your system

AO

I'm prone to wd symptoms. Two weeks is plenty of time for my body to become dependent. My doc just perscribed me enough to taper. I may try the conservative approach and see how I feel. My wife will dispense them so I'm not tempted to take more than I should. I will be so glad to get off this stuff.

Thanks for the reply Leslie!

Scott

no problem brother, i have had a lot of friends messed up with opiates, i was on them for my hips after surgery for a few weeks, they really dont help you when you look at the big picture, it helps the immediate problem but not the cause. i know it makes it easier to deal with and some poeple need that. they can tear lives down real quick

defiantely check out the shroomery for info on kratom if u think it can help you or if things get rough

i know of a synthetic opiate that isnt as strong as hydro codone, its called ultram or tramadol. doctors are quick to replace hydrocodone with this stuff for use with motrin. but its a synthetic opiate and will do less for your pain and will keep you addicted to opiates

im just mentioning this because its what my doctor did and i wasnt having any part of it when i researched ultram, seems to actually be more harmful than the opiates i was first taking. just wanted to throw that at ya incase u seek your doc for help chances are thats what they will do

but to each his own, good to hear your doing a little better as far as the pain goes with your herniated disc, tearing cartilage and bone on bone grinding is some hardcore stuff, i know, but its like CH wasnt enough?

your a tough dude, hang in there we are on your side, and we will help tip the scales in your favor

heres some solid info on kratom http://www.sagewisdom.org/kratomguide.html

it wont cure your addcition or deplete all withdrawl symptoms of opiates but it will certainly help in the reduction of use

as with anything be wise and read read read and challenge facts

as alleyoop says --- "knowledge is power"

AO

in no way am i telling you that u need to use this stuff, but perhaps after some research you will be able to see if it would benefit you

i have had minimal experience with it, and it was extremely light doses, i checked it out a little bit a while ago when i was curious about it,  did some research, not much.

so please dont by any means use my posts as a deciding factor other than to find more info about it

AO

AO, no problem man. I'm looking it over. Looks like a real nice plant ally. I think for now I will do alright with tapering with the hydrocodone itself. But if I get in a tight spot, this plant looks like a viable option. I have bookmarked the link for future reference.

Thanks!

Scott

Thanks Ron. You know I'm doing okay...better than I thought. I'm tapering and so far so good. Hopefully that will continue. Maybe I have worried more than necessary. Fear of dreaded wd and vie had enough suffering already! Thanks for all the replies! Good info for future reference in case I need it.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hydro is the only thing I had plenty of for this cycle and I took a lot of it! I think they are at least sometimes a trigger for me but I still take them because it's the only thing I've found that can clean up "today's damage from last nights tornado" so to speak. I'm about off of it now. I've been breaking my 10's in half and only took 1 of the half pills (so 5mg) today. Hopefully I'm done with em.