Asking differently

CHfather

Given what I wrote in my other recent post about RC, sleep, and my daughter, I am inclined to recommend that she test low doses of RC seeds as a sleep aid, either as SPUT using maybe 4 or 5 seeds, or as an LSA preparation (crushed seeds in water) involving something like 8-10 seeds.  To enable her to sleep would be a huge blessing, a big step toward the "normal" life she's been deprived of.  She's tried practically everything the docs can offer, without any results except the usual unpleasant drug side effects. 

Does anyone have any experience, or even an informed opinion about (a) using LSA as a sleep aid; or (B) the general advisability of taking LSA in small doses on a regular basis (maybe, or maybe not, every day), or © what the likely effect of taking LSA in small doses on a regular basis might be on busting, if/when her cycle returns? 

An extra-credit question: I don't know what levels might actually be effective to help her sleep; maybe it has to be a full 20-30-or-more seed preparation.  If she did that every five days or so, do you think RC would soon lose its effectiveness for busting?

I understand if no one has any ideas about this.  I just want to be sure I'm asking the questions as clearly as I can. 

Thanks,

Jerry                            

Well, honestly, I don't think it can hurt to try.

I don't know how stuff loses it's effectiveness. What you might need to do is take her off of it like a month before her regular cycle. Then again, who knows if the regular dosing might just keep it away?

Mystina

I don't have the answer Jerry but I'm interested in what others might have to say. I wonder if low dose seeds might be a viable and natural, hence safer, sleep aid as opposed to something like Lunesta. I have taken Ambien but it became ineffective. The Lunesta has worked really well for me. I sleep like a baby and feel great the next day. The problem, of course, is that I have become dependent on it. If I run out, as I did yesterday, I cannot sleep. I feel like hell today because I probable slept an hour last night and had to work today. If there is one thing I need, its at least 7-1/2 hrs of sleep. All night long I had a mild HA as usual but I normally sleep thru it due to the Lunesta. I've struggled with sleep for years, even before my HA arrived. Sorry if it seems I've highjacked the pending thread, but this subject could not have come at a more perfect time for me.

Thanks for the post.

Scott

Until your daughter is using something besides RC seeds to fight her HA's, I would limit her use of them to that. We were advised to try Valerian as a sleep aid but to be cautious initially because for some it has the opposite effect. She'll become habituated to any sleep aid that she uses nightly. Maybe find a few things that are effective and alternate. I've also had trouble relaxing enough to get to sleep and currently take an Ambien CR one night and a Trazadone the next. Might help to ask at a health-food store what they'd recommend and see which of them she could take in combination.

Ron

Given what I wrote in my other recent post about RC, sleep, and my daughter, I am inclined to recommend that she test low doses of RC seeds as a sleep aid, either as SPUT using maybe 4 or 5 seeds, or as an LSA preparation (crushed seeds in water) involving something like 8-10 seeds.  To enable her to sleep would be a huge blessing, a big step toward the "normal" life she's been deprived of.  She's tried practically everything the docs can offer, without any results except the usual unpleasant drug side effects. 

Does anyone have any experience, or even an informed opinion about (a) using LSA as a sleep aid; or (B) the general advisability of taking LSA in small doses on a regular basis (maybe, or maybe not, every day), or © what the likely effect of taking LSA in small doses on a regular basis might be on busting, if/when her cycle returns? 

An extra-credit question: I don't know what levels might actually be effective to help her sleep; maybe it has to be a full 20-30-or-more seed preparation.  If she did that every five days or so, do you think RC would soon lose its effectiveness for busting?

I understand if no one has any ideas about this.  I just want to be sure I'm asking the questions as clearly as I can. 

Thanks,

Jerry                            

See your other thread Jerry

I think 2-5 seeds would probably help same as larger doses in busting. No harm should come from trying.

Carefully monitored I dont think effectiveness would be lost.

Thanks, all, for your thoughtful responses here and at my earlier post.  I really appreciate it.  Unfortunately, neither typical sleep meds such as versions of ambien, nor drowsiness-inducing meds such as klonopin, nor non-pharms such as melatonin or valerian, have really helped her, even at high levels (although for a series of flukish reasons she has not yet been prescribed lunesta -- so I guess we might hope that that would work for her).  I'm at the point where I feel the sleeplessness (or, really, the night-time sleeplessness--she could sleep all day, I think, if she didn't have to work) is taking such a toll on her that--after we demand some lunesta from somebody and see if that works--an RC trial will probably be the next step. Guess she might have to shift busting strategies (or maybe not) if she goes that route.  I'll let you know.

Again, thanks.

Jerry

Hey CHF. . .just a personal anecdote about this. I tried this little experiment myself last night, didn't plan to, it just happened. Around 7pm, I started feeling the usual signs of a hit coming on. I was about to reach for an energy shot and ride it out, but instead I grabbed two seeds out of the freezer, squished them open with pliers, and stuck them under my tongue. Now, this is purely anecdotal and unscientific and could be a total fluke, but the headache never developed. I kept the seeds there for about 45 minutes while I did stuff around the house, and no headache at all.

In short, it's probably worth a shot. I will say that my CH doesn't seem to be as severe as most, and I am extremely drug-sensitive, so a larger dose may be in order for your daughter.

You might also have her try Trazadone. It's a cheap, safe, old-time anti-depressant, prescribed off-label to me by 3 different doctors for sleeplessness. For me, it works as well as Ambien-CR and I alternate between the two to avoid developing a dependency. If I'm really amped up and need to get to sleep, I'll take 2 or a combo with Ambien. Shouldn't be taken with other anti-depressants.

Did it have any effect on your sleep that you can discern?

I can't say that it did. . .but like I said, it was an extremely small amount of seeds, in comparison to what we'd normally "extract". I'm just wondering what the mechanism would be for this SPUT method to work? I understand how LSA works, but not how the simple act of putting the substance under your tongue would work. Anybody?

Most homeopathic meds. are taken sublingual. They are usually such tiny amounts and are taken under the tongue, for fast relief. (absorbs fast)

I'm not sure what the question is here, but I always carry sputs with me. Not RC, but mushrooms caps. This has saved me many times. I have had alcohol, when not in cycle and not expected a hit. On occasion the first sip will bring on a hit, which I can abort in a few minutes by using a sput. I have been in extreme heat, not in cycle, and gotten hit during rush hour traffic. One mushroom cap under the tongue and I have aborted the hit.

I have not tried RC as a sput, but remember reading that someone did exactly that and it worked.

As far as a sleeping aid, on a daily basis, I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. I would be concerned that my next dose wouldn't work as well. This is all my thinking, so take it for what it's worth.

So what was the question?     :)    Leslie

Thanks, Cassidy.  Whatever the question was, you have answered it well.  I do have it from a reliable source, however, that occasional small doses of RC for sleeping will not interfere with the use of RC for busting.  (Of course, that probably depends on what "occasional" and "small" mean!)

You just ran into the problem. Most sleep aids are taken nightly. So on occasion doesn't quite work.

It would be an interesting trial, and you never know. It could be the answer.

I have to wonder about Ambein and Lunesta, I hear good reports but the price is high and there is an addiction possible. Why are the doctors more than happy to write a R/X for these drugs, but when it comes to Valium you run into a brick wall? A 30 day supply of 5 mg Valium is under $10. Yes, there is an addiction possible, but is it any worse than the new generation of sleep drugs? And if you compare side effects, the Valium seems the least harmful. I do have a R/X, but I have to see the Dr. every three months to get a refill. Also I can only get 30 tablets a month. They have total control over my use. So I really can't abuse.

I had to try many antidepressants before anyone would believe me that they made me sick. Yes, I have depression, but there is no pill I can tolerate. Eight hours of sleep is the best medicine for me. If I sleep I can deal with the world

the next day.

I have to detox before dosing and have never had a problem with that. No DTs or seizures!

I know there is someone on here that is saying "there she goes again, about mother's little helper."

It just really sucks if you can't sleep, and I understand what

the girl is going through. I realize you tried klonopin, almost the same as Valium, same family.

How about Benadryl ?

After that I could suggest MJ brownies, but that would be illegal. ::)

Sorry about the rant, but I have to do that every now and then.           Good luck      Leslie

I know there is someone on here that is saying "there she goes again, about mother's little helper."

:-X

Sorry about the rant, but I have to do that every now and then. 

I, for one, can't get enough of your rants girl!  You always bring a smile to my face. :)

bobb

I figured you would catch on to that. Think you have a pretty good memory for an old guy. ;)

That is a safe statement, beings we live 100s of miles apart. The rants are a side effect from CH. Just can't help it. But trying harder.  :)Leslie