Science Magazine - BOL

See the link for the complete story

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/06/lsd-alleviates-suicide-headaches.html

27 June 2011

LSD Alleviates 'Suicide Headaches'

by Kai Kupferschmidt

BERLIN—Patients suffering from the agony of cluster headaches will take anything to dull the pain, even LSD, it turns out. Results from a pilot study presented here on Saturday at the International Headache Congress reveal that six patients treated with 2-bromo-LSD, a nonhallucinogenic analog of LSD, showed a significant reduction in cluster headaches per day; some were free of the attacks for weeks or months.

"Some of these patients are still reporting significant relief more than a year after they were treated with the compound," says John Halpern, a psychiatrist at Harvard Medical School in Boston and one of the investigators involved in the study. "Nobody has ever reported these kinds of results."

Gee, thanks Doc:

Quote:

Goadsby points to shortcomings in the research, however. "These are just a few patients in a completely unblinded study; you would certainly expect some placebo effect," he says. Indeed, Goadsby has done a double-blind study comparing pure oxygen and air in the treatment of cluster headache. Twenty percent of the patients treated with air, the placebo, reported pain reduction. Because cluster headaches can occur in episodes and then vanish again for months or years, it is also difficult to distinguish a drug's long-term effect from normal attack patterns, Goadsby cautions.

--- 6 for 6 in the BOL trial, 100%.    20% placebo for oxygen.   

Wish he might comment on the amazing results and tremendous promise of BOL treatment and how it can change people's lives in the long run, rather than spewing medical placebo, temporary relief and then talk about his own study.   >:(

"Still," he says, "this is an interesting study, and it certainly warrants further investigation."

----ain't that nice.

FG

The IHS-IHC-2011 Berlin Poster-Presentation - John H. Halpern, Torsten Passie and Matthias Karst: Cluster headache attack cessation and remission extension of months or longer in six treatment-refractory patients administered only 3 doses of BOL-148:

http://www.ck-wissen.de/ckwiki/images/a/a8/BOL_poster_IHS_IHC_Berlin_2011.jpg

(JPG) Copyright: The authors with kind permission.

Because cluster headaches can occur in episodes and then vanish again for months or years, it is also difficult to distinguish a drug's long-term effect from normal attack patterns, Goadsby cautions.

5 of those patients were chronic, coincidence all found relief? I think not.

I admire some of Goadsby's work, but seriously, this is the guy telling everyone how horrible these things are how bad they hurt, how it destroys lives and so on, and here something shows unfathomable results in its first trial... ...and hes acting like he has to defend himself and his studies because he hasn't found anything remotely close to the success of this trial. Don't get me wrong he has done alot for the sufferers, but it seems just because his name isn't attached to the research hes a little butt hurt. Instead of blowing wind in our sails, hes dropping the anchor which is his name and respect for CH. Some just don't want to play for the team when the spotlight isn't hitting them or there's not enough zeroes in their bank account. Break the skin with negative input and throw the "we need more research" band aid on it. Now forth coming I bet if the trials don't continue to go 100 % he will jump all over them and try to climb back to his perch with an "I told you so"

Picking at the bone because it's not his meat

I see BOL-148 being such a success that every one involved in studies or medical practice for migraine and clusters is in fear of a life of half luxury because we aren't knocking on the dr's office doors looking for imitrex samples or coming in every week for a nerve block and all the other crazy stuff we do.

It's a damn shame how people go to welding centers and lie about keeping bait alive to get o2, splitting imitrex shots since you don't need the whole vial, taking the most illicit substances with no known true measure of dose, I could go on we all get the idea.

We spend billions on this war BS send our troops over there to guard poppy fields, and then arrest our citizens when the product makes it over here. Meanwhile a select few deal with the most excruciating pain known to man and its illegal to not be in pain. I guess some things are more important.

The money it would cost to respectively research BOL is pocket change compared to the amount of money doctors and pharm companies would loose due to us not having headaches.

I'd like to put some of these greedy grimey money hungry fools on an island by themselves with nothing but all their money. Let's see how happy they are then with their little green pieces of paper. . . man I'd love to watch them burn it for warmth.

AO

Because cluster headaches can occur in episodes and then vanish again for months or years, it is also difficult to distinguish a drug's long-term effect from normal attack patterns, Goadsby cautions.

I admire some of Goadsby's work, but seriously, this is the guy telling everyone how horrible these things are how bad they hurt, how it destroys lives and so on, and here something shows unfathomable results in its first trial... ...and hes acting like he has to defend himself and his studies because he hasn't found anything remotely close to the success of this trial. Don't get me wrong he has done alot for the sufferers, but it seems just because his name isn't attached to the research hes a little butt hurt. Instead of blowing wind in our sails, hes dropping the anchor which is his name and respect for CH. Some just don't want to play for the team when the spotlight isn't hitting them or there's not enough zeroes in their bank account. Break the skin with negative input and throw the "we need more research" band aid on it. Now forth coming I bet if the trials don't continue to go 100 % he will jump all over them and try to climb back to his perch with an "I told you so"

Picking at the bone because it's not his meat

I see BOL-148 being such a success that every one involved in studies or medical practice for migraine and clusters is in fear of a life of half luxury because we aren't knocking on the dr's office doors looking for imitrex samples or coming in every week for a nerve block and all the other crazy stuff we do.

It's a damn shame how people go to welding centers and lie about keeping bait alive to get o2, splitting imitrex shots since you don't need the whole vial, taking the most illicit substances with no known true measure of dose, I could go on we all get the idea.

We spend billions on this war BS send our troops over there to guard poppy fields, and then arrest our citizens when the product makes it over here. Meanwhile a select few deal with the most excruciating pain known to man and its illegal to not be in pain. I guess some things are more important.

The money it would cost to respectively research BOL is pocket change compared to the amount of money doctors and pharm companies would loose due to us not having headaches.

I'd like to put some of these greedy grimey money hungry fools on an island by themselves with nothing but all their money. Let's see how happy they are then with their little green pieces of paper. . . man I'd love to watch them burn it for warmth.

AO

Very eloquent AO!!!  And with caps no less!  ;)

Very eloquent AO!!!And with caps no less!

I'm sure i missed one somewhere. It's all your fault Bob. I proof read my posts now. LOL All in good fun.

AO

Me thinks you have ID'd a ginormous flaw in Goadsby's commentary there AO.

All I can think is either he didn't know 5 were chronic when he was opining away, or he was misquoted (that is a very common occurrence) or there really is a more serious problem with Goadsby and how he could still be playing the role of the BOL naysayer with such a weak foundation for his remarks.  :o

or he was misquoted 

Very good possibility such a thing may have happened. He said that she said that he said this . . . like the game in kindergarten where you sit in a circle and say something to the person next to you, and by the time it gets back, it wasn't close to what you said LOL the good ol' days finger painting and sleeping on rugs

But then again, there are cluster heads giving other cluster heads crap for using what we discuss here. So it wouldn't surprise me that a doctor would do the same. It wouldn't be the first time.

So who knows, but either way what was written kinda feels like a bit of a slap in the face.

AO

Here's another interesting part of the trial. . .

Why was the dose of BOL determined by the patients weight? It shouldn't make a difference how much you weigh. Fat people have just as many receptors and neurotransmitters as a skinny person does in their brain. That was a foolish way to determine a dose.

AO