Rye Bags

JusterBuster

OK:  This is my first post in over two years, well, outside of the Yahoo Group.  Anyway, I just inoculated two bags I had sent to me about 5 months ago.  I used 1/2 of a normal size syringe for each.  Each bag was perfectly clean, as they had been nicely vacuum sealed.  I just need someone with a lot of success to tell me EXACTLY where these should go to ensure that they are safe from mold/bacteria.  Right now, they are sitting on a very, very clean counter-top in my kitchen with no food out, or anything.  I was thinking of wrapping them in some foil, but they are the kind that poof up (see pic attached)...   PLEASE let me know if I should store these in a special place.  Everything was as sterile as possible - face mask, alcohol, fire, double-sanitizing, etc.  Send me a note :-)  Thanks, -J    BTW, i know to use jars in the future - I just figured I wouldn't let these go to waste.

post-1741-14384707217146_thumb.jpg

Put em in a warm, dark place.  When the part at the bottom turns completely white, leave it in the dark for one more week, then move to the sunlight and hope for the best.

Many of us have not had much luck with these bags, but maybe you will turn the tides.

Agreed. This part of the process is called "incubation". You'll want the temps to stay about 75 to 82 F. If it gets a lot warmer than that, you'll have troubles keeping contamination at bay. If its much cooler, you'll inhibit the growth of the mycelium.

They are now rolled up and in a sanitized cardboard box...  wish me luck, guys!  I'm broke, and this is what I have left :(  I am marking the box with a pencil each morning.  Today is day 6.  I will continue to bless them every day, and hope for the best.  The temp stays just about between 77 and 79º F...  I mist around it with Lysol, 4-5x/day.  -J  8-)

Very carefully checked for contams, overhydration, etc. today - things look good.  I'm just wondering if they should be standing like in the picture, or rolled up like they are now, in their box.  I'm sure they are getting "some" air, but enough? 

I've had periods (years) of huge success with growing, and others without any...  When I can finance it, I am going to make some more jars.  My understanding is that they are optimal, especially for "dummies"...  I should have just stayed with them, and will in the future.  -J 8-)

Good news today - I found a bunch of sterile syringes and two un-opened prints - Washington and Amozonian.  I'm pretty sure (and tell me if I'm wrong, FP) that I can just go grab some brown rice at Jewel, grind it up to make my own flour (Whole Foods is kind of far) , pick up a dozen jars and start sterilizing some jars in a pressure cooker this afternoon.  I have vermiculite, and everything else I need (per teks I've read on another forum)...  The part that is going to be hard (for me) is making the spore syringes.  I am afraid to open them up.  Wish me luck, as I am trying, ultimately, to keep myself and others who need it well.  Again, any and all advice is appreciated...

-J 8-)

I used 1/2 syringe for each and fortunately didn't over-hydrate, it would seem.  I would just make sure your temp is right...  81º is what mine stay at now.  I peeked again today, and things have clearly grown since last night.  Time for me to be patient and let mother nature do her job...   

Checked again today, and things are looking BRIGHT white...  Well, almost 1/2 of each bag is colonized.  No signs of contams...  I've been through two bottles of Lysol already.  This is probably the "cleanest" I've ever done things, and I'm sure that's why I'm having success. ForeverProsper has advised (at least with jars) that once things are fully colonized, to let sit for 5 more days...  That's my plan unless otherwise advised.  -J

Cool to know you're making a little progress. I wouldn't mix up or break up the bags any more though. Whenever you do that you set the mycelium back and while it recovers, contams have a chance to take hold. Usually you only shake up grain jars once when they are about 50% to 70% colonized.

Since these are rye bags, you won't be able to have good fruits straight off the rye cakes. You'll have to use the cakes as "spawn" and make a casing. I can help you through that whenever its time but also plenty of info at www.mycotopia.net

I know - but nobody responds to my posts.. they are sitting still, in a sterile microwave, in a sterile cardboard box.  I am not going to touch a thing for another week.  No, I know not to break up a myc. network...  I'll show you them - BIG, bright white colonies inches from reaching/networking w/ others...  I just wanted to know if I should check in a week, or just let sit and sit.  I have pasteurized horse manure for more food...  i'm not really looking to fruit off of these bag-cakes, I was going to try and let them grow into the poo, and just be really sterile (glove box) when doing so...

Dammit!  one of the bags had a little green spot...  I put what clean mycelium I could in sterilized jars, and am going to keep at a low temp to prevent bacteria (I hope)...  the other bag is just fine, it seems.  I've bleached, and alcoholed, and lysoled a better box...  praying for no more contams...

for future reference, plastic storage boxes are good, cardboard is bad, it is porous, lots of little spots for bad stuff to hide. a good place to put your bags would have been in the cabinet above your fridge, as it will get heat from the fridge.

as far as your green and placing the good stuff in jars at a cool temp, if you are colonized you should case at 85. the longer you let it sit at a lower temp, the more likly the contam.

just my 2cents, good luck