I need something fast, New user

christina

Hi, I'm new to the bored but far from new to the pain... I have been suffering periodically since I was 14, usually I get hit every six months, for whatever reason I was given a two year break this time. You all know that doesn't matter because once it hits its horrible. I was laid off just before the attacks started so I have very little money and no insurance. I am looking my mind and am becoming extremely depressed. Is there a fast and inexpensive solution or any recommendations? Please help quickly, I'm almost always in pain from a shadow and my body is bruised from the attacks, I don't know what th do or how long I can hold out. I apologize for whining, I know that you too have all suffered, I'm just so fed up with it and just don't feel like I can do it untreated again.

Christina,

Firstly...  Glad you found us!  The treatments spoken about on this board do work and and much better than any doctor prescribed treatment I've had or any that I've read about.

#1 - Get Oxygen - It's the #1 easiest and fastest abortive for attacks.  You have two options to get it:

a) Get a prescription from your doctor (You will likely need to print out some of the oxygen information from this website and bring with you.  Don't be afraid to DEMAND it from your doctor.  Many are unwilling or just uneducated enough to prescribe O2 due to ignorance, or their want to only provide solutions that put $ in the pockets of drug companies.  (more on that later.. ha)

- Medical O2 is about $20 for setup and $9 per 'E' tank (That's what it costs me w/o insurance) - Each E tank lasts me about 3 to 4 attacks.  You HAVE to have a non-rebreather mask and 15 liters per minute flow or better (some people require up to 25).

B) You can purchase a welding Oxygen tank and get refills at any welding supply (or industrial gas supply) company.  You need a non-rebreather mask (ouch.com for $27 I think) and regulator (harbor freight for about $30).

#2 - Order HBWR or RC seeds (LSA) over the internet.  There are lots of vendors that sell them and lots of information on preparation on on this website.  Here's the link:

http://www.clusterbusters.com/links1.htm

Another option is if you have access to magic mushrooms, LSD or Mescaline.  They all provide relief, but depending on where you are, could be more difficult or easier to come by.  They all have varying degrees of social acceptance, and side effects.

Jeff

Hi Christina,

What Jeff said.  :)

I would just add that personally I think of RC (Rivea Corymbosa) seeds as being an easier, more foolproof option than HBWR because of their ease of preparation, with no risks other than a dud dose, if not prepared correctly.

Here's a good link about the O2, put together by CHfather, who with any luck may be along shortly to put his O2 $.02 in   :) : http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1299901790

If you have access to mushrooms I'd also say by all means, after reading the warning here: http://www.clusterbusters.com/warning.htm seriously consider them - they are a power packed, very effective beast fighter for a very high percentage of us.

Oxygen is essential.  Busting works.  RedBull or some other energy drink high in caffeine and taurine helps many people if it is drunk rapidly at the onset of an attack.  Inhaling cold air from an air conditioner is a poor but sometimes effective short-term substitute for oxygen from tanks with a non-rebreather mask.  Here's a more direct link about using LSA (seeds) as a busting method (the other files there by TommyD are also good):  http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1290128974

The link Jeff gave you is very good for finding seed suppliers and other resources.

I'd urge you to consider beginning right now the simple, inexpensive vitamin D3 protocol that has helped many, many people quickly and also lastingly.  Take about 10,000 international units per day of vitamin D3, taken with food; 2 or 3 calcium citrate tablets per day, with or without food (ideally, these tablets should also contain magnesium and zinc); and 3,000-5,000 mg per day of Omega 3 fish oil, with food. You can find these ingredients in a pharmacy or drug store.  Many people find that a glass or two of lemonade or limeade per day with meals increases the effectiveness.  Many people start getting significant relief within a day or two.  The levels I listed above are the "default" levels--you might wish to adjust according to your own tolerance.  These are not "megadoses"--all are within standard recommended daily allowances except the D3, which is high but not inordinately so.  To read a great deal more about the D3 regimen, you could wade through the following thread: http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1291969416/0

Or, you could try the licorice root method discussed here. Depending on where you live, the licorice root extract might be harder to find than the ingredients for the vitamin D3 protocol. http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1298659068

Everyone here has been where you are, Christina, or they've had a loved one who was suffering as you are.  Today those same people are living lives without pain, or with far less frequent and far less severe pain.  Stick in here with us and you'll be one of those people, too.

Thank you all so much, I just came back from the er, I don't know why but this episode is kicking my ass more than usual. I havent slept since Wednesday. I begged for an  rx of o2, no luck, they wanted to give me zimig??? The red bull and monster solution doesn't work for me. Once I get the strength up I will get the vitamins listed. I called about welders o2 and they said $70 a day to rent the tank. I just moved to a new state a few days ago so I doubt ill have any luck with the mushrooms. Anyone know a place for affordable welders o2 in the phoenix area? I will also order the seeds. Anyone know the time frame on those? Do they need to grow? Sorry, I haven't read all of the posts yet, I've had attacks and bad shadows since I discovered the site. There is so much information on here, and its good to know others understand. 

I will also order the seeds. Anyone know the time frame on those? Do they need to grow?

Christina, you can have seeds (rivea corymbosa) shipped overnight, or delivered within about 5 days or less.  You can use them immediately.  They're not expensive.  Here are some vendors:

http://www.iamshaman.com

www.psychoactiveherbs.com

www.shamansgarden.com

If you do take zomig, though, you might have to "detox" from it for a few days, because it interferes with busting.

In section 1 of the oxygen file (http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1299901790) there are links to two articles about oxygen for cluster headaches.  If you have to go to the ER again, maybe you should have them printed out to bring with you. Or, Can you go back and show them to the docs there? Chances are they've never seen a cluster headache before and who knows but they might be receptive to this information.  (Believe me, I understand how exhausted and frazzled you are, so I'm not saying it's easy to do any of these things, at all.  Just trying to think of what might help.)

If you go the welding oxygen route, you'll also need to buy a regulator and a non-rebreather mask, which you can't get at the welding-oxygen place (many people order them new on eBay).   The total cost for the two of them would be about $60.  We can show you in more detail how to do all this -- I just wanted you to know that there's more to it, practically and financially, than a trip to a welding-supply store.  But since oxygen aborts a CH headache within 15 minutes for 90-plus percent of people, the investment and hassle would almost certainly be worth it for you.

Nobody minds any questions you ask here, and as you can see there are lots of people who will do their best to help you.

Whenever someone ends up in the ER I know they're getting hit really hard.  :o:( Very sorry to hear about that Christina.  :(

At least there was that good news above from CHfather about the RC - yep you could order them now and potentially have them Wednesday, ready for consumption (after crushing them and soaking them for 2 hours - no growing required), as long as you haven't taken any meds that would interfere.

$70 a day for a tank does sound just crazy exorbitant, way overpriced - I don't know what they could be thinking.  >:(

Thank you all for the wonderful information. I started the vitamins today, I also ordered the rc seeds. I picked up a box of sumitriptan as well. I had been out since Thursday and had to wait for my unemployment to come. I was hit hard last night, but knowing there is light and that I will not suffer too much longer got me through it. Most doctors and ers have no idea what we go through or how to help us. I think they were trying to treat me for a migraine. I didn't take the rx for zomig, I knew it would be a waste of money. Will the sumitriptan interfere with the rc seeds? And thank you again to everyone for the help.

Good for you, Christina!  If I'm remembering right, sumatriptan is Imitrex.  I'm a little out of my depth here, but I'll take a shot at an answer and let smarter people correct me if necessary.  Yes, it will interfere with busting -- you're supposed to detox from meds like this for five days before busting.  Is it injectable, or pill form?  I think it's widely believed here that the pill form is not very effective.  I guess that it would better for you not to use it if your seeds will be there in less than five days.

If you don't mind, please tell us exactly what you're taking with the vitamins.  Not everyone does this "right."

You will want to move ahead with the oxygen, too.  While busting works, it almost never works instantly, so you'll want to take several seed doses spaced five days apart.  It's likely that you'll still get some headaches during that time -- in fact, what are called "post-dose hits" can be pretty severe (usually only once or twice).  They're viewed here as a sign that you are shaking things up after a dose: often they also come at different times than your normal headaches.  I'm hoping that the vitamin protocol might help you, but being able to abort attacks with oxygen helps you stay "detoxed" from things that block busting.

I have some other thoughts, but gotta run right now.  Again, congratulations on taking charge of this tough situation.

$70 a day...  WOW... 

I use to regularly get real.. yea real welding gas for a hobby of mine (making "Stuff" :)  The last tank I bought was $180 and it's a 5 foot tall by 8 inches round.  You should be able to buy a smaller tank for much less.  Once you buy a tank they normally exchange it for the fill fee.  ($35 sounds about right for a large O2 tank).

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.  I can't stress enough O2, O2, O2.  :)  It's a complete game changer.

Jeff

Hi Christina, CHfather is right - Sumatriptan is imitrex, and it is considered to interfere with RC/busting, sorry.

This is one of the reasons we're driving you cuckoo by pushing the O2 so rabidly - it's the effective abortive that won't interfere with busting.

This is one of the reasons we're driving you cuckoo by pushing the O2 so rabidly - it's the effective abortive that won't interfere with busting.

O2, energy drinks, and ice packs. For a minimum of 5 days before each time you bust. Otherwise you won't get the results you seek.

I will continue my hunt for the welders oxygen, I called a few places that didn't carry it, and by the time I found one that did they gave me their outrageous pricing. I've requested the rx from two doctors and the er with no luck and paid out of pocket for the office visits, its frustrating. The imitrex I get is the generic, and yes its the injections. I'm disappointed to hear it interferes with the seeds. But its very expensive anyway so I need a better solution. The vitamins I got are fish oil with omega 3, 1200 mg/ 360 mg, I take 3 pills, vitamin d3, 5000 UI, I take two, and calcium magnesium zinc tablets, I take 3 of those. Please let me know if that's the correct dosage. So far the imitrex is the only thing that has helped. I tried the energy drinks with no luck.I was downing six redbulls a day the past few days hoping it would work but I was still getting hit hard. I don't think ice will do it for me, I would probably just beat my head with it if you know what I mean. I am really hoping these vitamins do the trick. I remember my first cycles I would only get hit once a day, now I'm up to three a day and three to four at night. I'm exhausted and I have constant shadow and droop eye. Thanks for everything, I think we are better at solving our problems than any doctor.

Sounds like you're doing the D3 regimen correctly, Christina -- I really hope it helps you!  If the calcium is not "calcium citrate," then you should take all these pills with food (not necessarily all at once, just with food whenever you take them).  And you might remember that the popularizer of this D3 method also recommends a glass of lemonade or limeade with meals once or twice a day. 

Here is a list of doctors in Arizona who have been recommended by people with CH.  It's from the website www.ouch-us.org.  I'm assuming that because these folks are reported to understand CH, they might be receptive to prescribing oxygen.  I know it would mean more out-of-pocket $$, but maybe you could call and see whether they'll prescribe O2 for CH.  The good thing about getting oxygen by prescription is that the oxygen supplier should have the right mask and regulator, so you don't have to wait to assemble the whole system the way you do if you're building it from welding-supply oxygen and buying your own regulator and mask (and maybe you avoid some initial out-of-pocket costs, too, but I'm not sure about that).  If you do get a prescription, please be sure to read that oxygen page of mine that I've been referring you to, because there's still a lot that can go wrong . . . and often does, in terms of them bringing you the right equipment and setting it up properly.  If you stay on top of the supplier from the beginning there's less chance of frustration.

Mesa:

Dr. George Wang

Phoenix:

Dr. Joseph R Cohen (DDS)

Southwest Pain Management Associates

Dr. James L. Frey

Barrow Neurological Institute

Dr. Alan Hamilton (PCP)

Scottsdale:

Dr. Constantine G. Moschonas

Four Peaks Neurology

Dr. Jeffrey D. Steier

Tempe:

Dr. Stephen D. Chakmakian PCP)

Hoping for the very best for you,

Jerry

Sorry about the repost, I don't know what went wrong. Thanks again, it should be easier with a starting point of doctors who know what they're doing. I feel very misunderstood by most of them. I may have to wait another week to see the Dr, I started taking the d3 and fish oil yesterday and added the calcium today. So far I am seeing a difference, I have only had the shadow today and it seems to be fading out now. My attacks have always been sporadic, I have read that many people get theirs at certain times, I have good days and bad, so I'm not sure if today is just one of my lucky days or if the vitamins are helping. I'm hoping its the vitamins.

Christina,

so sorry to hear of all you are going through! I am hoping you are able to get relief soon!

The imitrex I get is the generic, and yes its the injections. I'm disappointed to hear it interferes with the seeds. But its very expensive anyway so I need a better solution.

I wanted to share a link with you regarding extending your imitrex shots. This tip shows you how to get 3 "shots" out of one. It might be helpful while you are waiting for your seeds and 02 set up, as it is pretty hard to not use it when it is right there and the pain is so great. :-[ Hopefully you will be able to get o2 so that you have a better abort method than the injections. They are horribly expensive and will definately intefere with your busting...

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/imitrex.html

hopefully this link works, if not then just type in "imitrex tip" in the upper right search box and it will pull it up for you...

Take care,

Dereksgirl

Christina, the link Dereksgirl shared with you for stretching the imitrex doses is a critical one IMO while you're still needing to use imitrex.

I've certainly used this approach more than a hundred times in the past (before I was busting) and found it to be invaluable for those times when I couldn't get to the O2.