help with welder's oxygen

christina

I didn't have luck finding an affordable solution to getting oxygen prescribed, so I am trying to find the best way to use the welding tank. I found a few used tanks on Craigslist and a place that fills them for $15. I just need to know what to look for. I have my mask, so ill just need a regulator? And the tank of course. Any tips/ advice?

Hi Christina,

I haven't personally used welder's O2, but I did bookmark a web page about it's use for CH. Here it is - I hope it has the sort of info you're looking for:

http://morrobayphotos.com/ch/O2primer.htm

If you ever find that we're not supplying enough details on O2 here, it can be worth asking about in a post over at the sister forum http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard2/index.html, and there'll be a good chance you could get in email contact with the resident O2/D3 guru "Batch" there - he often PMs people who post on the subject.

christina, you're going to have to get advice from someone who has used welding tanks.  i'm afraid, only as a suspicion, that the oxygen tanks you found on craigslist are for scuba diving, which would be of no use to you, i don't think.  but i'm just not sure, and i don't know whether i'd trust someone's used tanks.

you've been working so hard at this, i really hope some help will arrive.  i know you had said you are in the phoenix area.  there seem to be a lot of welding oxygen places there, which can be found by entering [welding supplies phoenix] (without the brackets) into google.   this link might take you there.  http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=bvre&cp=24&gs_id=1x&xhr=t&q=welding+supplies+phoenix+az&qe=d2VsZGluZyBzdXBwbGllcyBwaG9lbml4&qesig=mTEPNtT7D_xNwxouBXZ3-w&pkc=AFgZ2tlBMQMTReTfAPzqX7MujLvHzE_gXQ0EUsYMeQuM4XeINgWuiGert7lHsEHv29YRSv2_kAfhNeqR6UgEHIuu_2zUagzEVw&pf=p&sclient=psy&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=welding+supplies+phoenix&aq=0&aqi=g2g-v2&aql=f&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=7caaed5eb0414d97&biw=991&bih=452

from what i have read, the answer to the question "what do you want it for" should be "welding" and the answer to "do you want acetelyne, too?" is "no."  i completely screwed up when i was desperately trying to get welding O2 for my daughter.  i asked for a 15lpm regulator, too, and the guy just told me to go away.

yes, if you have a non-rebreather mask (with tubing), then all you'll need is the regulator

(i just got a nice PM from a fellow who had been encouraged to try the D3.  he said it had taken a while, but he was now PF (and he was chronic).  so i hope you're sticking with that.)

Christina,

Please call me I'll PM my number.  There are some date stamps on the outside of the tank that determine if the gas distributor will fill them.  Please make sure you don't buy any tanks unless you verify they are within "hydro" (I'll help you with that).   If they're outside of hydro they're almost worthless for your use, because the gas distributor by law can only fill tanks in hydro.  A hydro usually takes 1 to 2 weeks and costs $40 and up.  You also run the risk that if the tank wasn't properly stored by the prior owner, that it could easily fail the hydro (very common).  If that happens the company by law has to condemn the tank and drill a hole in it before returning to you.  I've found most tanks people sell on craigs list are out of hydro, or not stored properly.  I was looking for some additional SCUBA tanks a few years ago and out of 10 or so I looked at only 2 were in hydro and fillable, the rest were only worth scrap metal.

Craigs list may be a good place for some things, but be wary of any type of tank.  (also not to mention you don't know if they were previously filled with O2.  Could have been acetelyne or another toxic gas you certainly don't want to breath.  I can help you with the hydro info, but not with what they were used for previously.

My recommendation is to flip the nickel and buy new tanks from the gas distributor, you know they'll be good for years to come and normally aren't that much, because they want to make money on filling them for you.

Did you get the O2 prescription?  Why problems?  Please elaborate as that may be a much easier situation to fix.  As I mentioned earlier most med supply companies charge $20 for setup and $9 per tank (no rental on the tanks = free tanks for only the cost of the fills!)  I've gone through this for several years, multiple doctors and multiple med supply companies. 

Jeff 

Thank you all, I know I'm grasping at straws here. My problem is this... I am a single mom, I make too much money to get assistance from the government, but not enough to have insurance or savings. I was not prepared for this ch attack, when it hit I went to my gp, paid cash, requested oxygen and was told he can't do that. He gave me the rx for imitrex. I have been using the tip from the other board so I get six shots from each box, sometimes I try to stretch it to eight. I get between four and seven severe clusters in 24 hours so it doesn't last long, about two days when I stretch it. If I don't take it I am up all night, exhausted all day from not sleeping and trying so hard to fight the beast. So every extra dollar I have goes to the rx. I called around today to the local Drs listed earlier, I would need to wait for an appointment and an office visit is $180 and up. As long as I'm buying the imitrex there's Jo way I can afford the Dr. I just feel trapped. I have had this a long time (18 years), I went undiagnosed for many years. I just don't have it in me to fight anymore. My attacks are more frequent, always kip 8-10, except the shadows. I am drained from it. This is why I feel like I need something now, I have lost faith in Drs, this page has helped me more than any Dr could. I found a welding supply that rents tanks very low, the start up cost will only be around $200 and the about $45 a month with refills. I will be able to get that Tuesday, I was just hoping for something sooner. I will end my search for used tanks. Thank you, that's why I consulted with the experts before I made a move. I hope that explains why I am struggling and unable to get the rx. And thank you Jeff, I will consult with you.

Best welding regulator for the money for our use....

http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-regulator-94846.html

there are several harbor freight locations in and near phoenix, and i think oxygen tanks can also be rented there.  this regulator is a bit more expensive than one bought on ebay (about $10-$15 more), but the advantage of getting and using it right away might very well be worth those extra bucks.  as i remember from postings here by other folks, this regulator doesn't have a specific lpm gauge, but can be adjusted just based on consistently filling the bag attached to the mask.  please correct me, racer (or anyone), if i'm wrong about any of this -- want to be sure christina is as fully informed and prepared as possible.  do you recall whether you also need to have/buy a big wrench in order to fully tighten it?

Thank you for the website, that was a big help! I had been searching for welding supply company's, and not having much luck.  I found a 20 cubic ft tank and the regulator at my local store, about $120 all together. The tank is the same one they have listed at their online store. Before I head off to buy it, would the tank work for an attack? Thanks to the vitamins j am down to three attacks per day! A big relief from where I was when I found all of you.

i'm very glad the vitamins are helping, christina!  i'm sorry to say that a 20 cubic foot tank is very small -- as always, others please correct me, but i think this would only be good for treating one or two attacks before you'd have to have it refilled.  the larger tank that most people with ch have at home is about 125 cubic feet. 

Best welding regulator for the money for our use....

http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-regulator-94846.html

there are several harbor freight locations in and near phoenix, and i think oxygen tanks can also be rented there.  this regulator is a bit more expensive than one bought on ebay (about $10-$15 more), but the advantage of getting and using it right away might very well be worth those extra bucks.  as i remember from postings here by other folks, this regulator doesn't have a specific lpm gauge, but can be adjusted just based on consistently filling the bag attached to the mask.  please correct me, racer (or anyone), if i'm wrong about any of this -- want to be sure christina is as fully informed and prepared as possible.  do you recall whether you also need to have/buy a big wrench in order to fully tighten it?

You are correct......and yes, a large wrench is needed for tighten the reg to the tank.