Airplane advice?

Pixie-elf

Hey guys,

Well, my fiance is paying for me to come visit him in Chicago for a week. It'll be the first time I've ever flown. (My Neurosurgeon already cleared me for it. :D)

I'm expecting to have to keep my meds in a carry on (since I have a metric feckton of 'em.) and to have to declare them. But that's not why I'm posting this.

Should I dose the night before, or a few days before, to keep from getting hit on the plane? I have Toradol injections, but I don't know how much help that'd be on a plane. No triptans for me, either.

Advice?

Thanks guys.

Mystina

I know airplanes always make me nervous. I usually carry Initrex injection. That aside, when I was traveling a lot for business, I would call the airline company and advise them of my medical condition and ask them to make sure someone on the plane would know of my possible need for O2 in flight (they always carry O2 for emergencies). I would carry on my regulator and mask since I doubt they would have anything high flow with a non-rebreather mask.

Hope this helps.

gonna have to ride with ttnolan on this one.  i have not flown since i was diagnosed and prescribed o2, but i am scheduled to fly here in the next couple of months ..... i think its very necessary to tell them ahead of time for your possible oxygen necessity.

actually i figured my options were to either sachet up to the boarding desk wheeling oxygen, or call them first....... since all the 9/11 stuff i think ill call ahead :)

No triptans?  That would be tough.  The pressure change is a trigger for me 100% of the time when in cycle.

If in cycle (as I am now) I do 2ml of Imitrex right before I board.  That gives me about 4 hours of coverage.

On your carry-on meds... make sure none of them are liquids over 3oz.  Otherwise they go in the trash.  :( 

Not sure why you would need the rest of your meds in carry-on.    

Carry on? what`s that?

Anyway, when i have been flying to wherever, to my big surprise they have not wanted to even take a look on all my injections and medicines. One time i was to late and i had to go through security with all my liquids, they took away my shampoo and stuff but the 24 needles they didn`t even care about. You  have to call the airline company and tell them you will bring special luggage, it may cost you a small amount of money, you get a note on you ticket that says you will carry it with you. That`s it.

in regards of flying,for me...50% of the time (just never know) :'( :'( :'(

1)...i have never had a problem with "trex and needles" with TSA in my carry-on (or any other meds)

2)...in regards of oxygen...they all carry it for emergency (my experience.."e-tank") with the fu..ed  up face mask and low flow regulator...which did not help me...but i tried :D :D :D and i tried :D :D :D and i...

3)...i use to carry copies of my scripts for my meds (no one ever asked or wanted to see them...less weight in my back-pack  ;D ;D ;D

4)...you mentioned no triptans...why not ask your doc for 2-samples of frova ( 1-for the flight there and 1-for the return)...if you have sinus problems ( there is a chance of your head getting decompressed ) ask your doc (otc meds) what to take an hour prior to take offs

5)...i hope you have great time with no visits from the beast

Carry on? what`s that?

it's the bag that we physically take on the airplane with us (weather it's a backpack or a purse)

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

When I say no triptans, I mean I cannot take them. They aren't willing to prescribe them with my SSRI. DHE and Cafergot are out too because they both cause me a headache so severe that I can't do anything but vomit and wish I was dead after taking them.

02, also unfortunately, does not work for me. :( I wish it did. I think my body is just so fecked up that it just doesn't work right for it.

I have no liquid medications, except the Toradol injections. I'm thinking I might try a dose for the flight there, and a dose for the flight back. Energy drink beforehand, and I'll have fiancee get me one for as soon as I land.

I'm mostly wondering if anyone has done preventative busting before a flight? And if it helped / worked?

Thanks everyone!

Mystina

I'm mostly wondering if anyone has done preventative busting before a flight? And if it helped / worked?

I have always taken two capsules of mushies (about a half gram apiece) when I fly.  I pack one in my bag for the return flight, and take the other just before passing security.  It's always worked for me.

The only problem with that is I'm too damned chicken to bring 'em with! My family would kill me if I got caught, Fiance would be out $400, and I'd be screwed every which way. Plus with me being nervous about flying the first time, I'm afraid that carrying shrooms on me might make it worse. :(

Maybe next time. Might have to use that for whenever we DO get married and go on our honeymoon though. It's a few years away... and hopefully I'll be a lot less chicken shit about it by then.  ;D

I'm thinking...since this is my first plane flight and I don't know if I'll be hit, I'll just wait and see.

Energy drink before I get to the airport, or right before I've got to go through security. I've got the Toradol which will help a minor hit, and if that fails? I just found out Medicaid WILL cover out of state ER visits... I was thinking it didn't, and I was fecked if I got hit.

Mystina, since it's your first time, a clarification and a couple of thoughts.  You can surely buy energy drinks after you go through security, and even bring them on the plane with you (I wouldn't be surprised if they sell them on the plane). I don't know what airport you'd be flying from, but it feels certain to me that they'd have energy drinks in the stores that are past the security part.

A few thoughts. Seeds are legal. You can bring as many of them as you want.  I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't grind 'em up in advance and carry them on as a powder, to which you could add some water during the flight. An hour later . . . .  For that matter, you could buy a beverage from a fast-food place before you board, dump whatever was in there and replace it with the powder and water, and carry it on with you. (Or get to the airport early enough that you could put together this beverage while waiting to board and drink it before boarding.)

(In fact, since the limit for liquid carry-ons is 3 ounces, you might be able to prepare your own medicine in advance and carry it on, in some kind of opaque bottle.  I suppose this might make you nervous. But maybe there's something here to consider.)

I have another suggestion, which I will PM you about.

A related thought . . . . I've never understood how well SPUT (small piece under the tongue) actually works.  Maybe it's not strong enough for you.  But you could presumably SPUT some good stuff all the way up to the time before you have to go through security.  And if none of my other ideas in the previous message make any sense, you could at least SPUT some seeds while flying.

A related thought . . . . I've never understood how well SPUT (small piece under the tongue) actually works.  Maybe it's not strong enough for you.  But you could presumably SPUT some good stuff all the way up to the time before you have to go through security.  And if none of my other ideas in the previous message make any sense, you could at least SPUT some seeds while flying.

I know for me, with vitamin M SPUT worked. I think it helped with seeds some too.

I might have to get some OJ and try that with the seeds.

I'm still in low cycle right now, another thing I'm wondering is has a flight ever knocked anyone into high cycle again?

Mystina

I haven't had any useful advice to offer on this, but I've been following, and am glad to see y'all really dishing out some good ideas for Mystina and the rest of us who may have to deal with flights when at risk for CH attacks.  :)

Your fiance sounds like a good guy P-Elf, looks like ya picked a winner.  :)

For what it's worth, I was worried to death about getting hit on a recent flight from JFK to London, 6+ hours of air time (overnight, too. . .and screwing with my sleep cycles has always been my #1 trigger). So I took a moderate dose of RC (about 35 seeds) two days before the flight (to give things a chance to settle, get the aftershocks out of the way, etc.) I also packed two energy shots (the 2oz things) in my carry-on. All energy shots are not created equal, check the ingredients for minimal sugar and maximum taurine. Those "Stacker 2 Xtra Energy" ones they sell at the dollar store are actually very good.

Made it through that flight with no problems, as well as the much longer Manchester-Chicago flight a week later. Your mileage may vary.

Hola everyone.  Being a former airline and military pilot I have flown a great deal while in my cluster cycle (of course I didn't know they were cluster headaches at the time and didn't know I was in a 'cycle').  I have only had a few in the cockpit, but I don't believe flying ever was the trigger.  Flight attendant perfume got me once.

I know a lot of people do have problems while flying, but Mystina I would be prepared but not intimidated by flying with clusters.  You may not have any problems.  AND everyone's suggestions sound good. If I am leaving town for a bit I would take a dose before I left or just bring some seeds with me OR order them sent to your vacation destination and take them there.  All good, I hope your trip is great! :)

The Shaggy >:(

ps, flying with a cluster attack is trying and so is landing on an aircraft carrier with a raging migraine, starry vision, feel like hurling etc.  A least it wasn't at night.

Mystina

I know many years ago, way before 9/11, if a passenger needed o2 on board, he would have to fill out a form advising the airline. Then he would be allowed to carry it on, the airline didn't provide it. The form was in triplicate.

If it looks like a passenger is unable to take care of themselves, the airlines could insist that they not travel alone and must be accompanied by a medical person or friend.

Any medication that you need on your trip should be in your carry on luggage. Checked bags get lost.

So having said that, I would put some capsules together in a Benadryl bottle or have sputs handy. Also the little energy shots sound like a good idea.

As far as arriving at the gate at the last minute for any reason, there is a good chance you won't get on the flight.

Standby passengers are boarded 10 minutes before departure.

So I would listen to Alley. If you have done sputs before, the .5 capsule has about the same results. I might lean toward the sput because it works faster sub-lingual. No reason why the capsule wouldn't work just as fast if you used it  under the tongue.

And yes, I would do a preventive dose a few days before flying away.

Have a great trip, or flight.    Leslie