Sex

Hejada

I'm currently researching other "alternative" ways to abort an attack, and can confirm that sex is a fantastic way at stopping the beast in his tracks. My girlfriend is glad to help towards the cause, and incidentally, says "hi". :D

Would anyone else like to contribute?

Ps - To the mods, this is valid reseach, and after all, this is a clusterbusting board. ;)

I don't know about any one else, but I can surely tell you, that "sex" is the last thing on my mind when having an attack. I cant think, I cant see, I cant function. Sometimes I dont even know where I am. I cant form a sentence, not to mention the o2 mask would be in the way and we'd get tangled in the tubing. On top of that if I'm touched or bothered during an attack, I'll touch you back, with my fist.

It would be hard to hold an ice/heat pack on my face with one hand while attempting to control the watering eye and snot stuffed nose I get with the other. Just trying to have a sensual experience with a close lady friend while in that condition for me would be impossible.  For the one who doesnt have the attack, it would be a very unsatisfying and uncomfortable, scary experience.

If you can have sex during an attack, and your partner finds you attractive in that state or finds CH a turn on, more power to ya. Glad it helps...

You can surround me with Playboy Bunnies and I'd tell each one of them to get the F out and go cuddle with my o2 bottle.

AO

You're not alone, "citizen scientist" Hejada: “Immediate Improvement of Cluster Headaches after Sexual Activity” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077391/?tool=pmcentrez

Although from a recent thread here, I would say you're in a minority.

Vigorous physical activity (running, calisthenics, etc.) does help some people abort an attack.  (If I'm not mistaken--though I am mistaken on myriad occasions-- I think that's how the efficacy of oxygen was first realized.)

The references in that link some from 1989, 1998, a few from 2004. article was published in 2006...also the study was in Israel?

when you experience an orgasm, yes the hypthalamus is activated "Following the cortex, activation flowed through a region involved in movement and muscle tension, which occurs during orgasm. Next, the hypothalamus came online. This region releases oxytocin, the notorious "love hormone" involved in social and emotional bonding and connection.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/01/first-3d-movie-of-orgasm-in-the-female-brain/#ixzz1g9P7BnHF

maybe thats enough to "shock the hypothalamus" back to working order for a short time frame. i can see why it helps some people

but for those that find hormone replacement helpful in CH cases wouldnt this counteract the hormone replacement? as you would need to build up and create more ie testosterone for the next time?

perhaps cessation of sex will allow the hormones to balance back out?

thoughts to ponder, there's no right no wrong, it depends on the individual

AO

AgentOrange - I agree with you in that sense, in the middle of an attack I could be surrounded by naked ladies and would not even bat an eyelid or care. No one can be near me, talk to me or even think about me during one. I meant to abort one, when you get the first ticklings, or a shadow.

CHfather - Oh now that article looks like a good read!! Haha, yes I wonder a CH is actually simply down to oxygen levels in the blood rather than all this about a deformed hypothalmus and what not.

Though on a slightly different note, something "this" painful surely must indicate that something is seriously wrong in there...

I wonder a CH is actually simply down to oxygen levels in the blood rather than all this about a deformed hypothalmus and what not.

I recall numerous times going to the ER with 8's and 9's and having that little blood o2 thing on my finger, read 100% the whole stay, and fought with the nurses and doctors for oxygen, when they said i didnt need it because i was at 100%

some people use a cpap machine while they sleep and still get hit during the night, some people get attacks for 6-8 weeks 2 times a year... is there less available o2 in the atmosphere in spring and fall? what about winter? theres no leaves on the trees?

maybe its the pressure changes created with the mask, maybe it flushes irritants from the nasal cavity, maybe its the constriction properties of o2.

back more with o2, some people claim they have food triggers with things like aged meats and cheese, or canned products which all contain a chemical called sodium benzoate. this sodium benzoate attacks cell's mitochondria and creates o2 leaks within the cell, thus your blood is carrying less o2 and resulting in low o2 levels though out your body

more nonsense to ponder lol

sorry if it seems like im attacking you but im pushing for more indepth conversation of the whys and the hows and how it pertains to each sufferer, as we all are different and every sufferer finds their silver spike for the life sucking vampire beasts we call CH, and its strange how each spike is different than the next sufferer's

AO

I wonder a CH is actually simply down to oxygen levels in the blood rather than all this about a deformed hypothalmus and what not.
  Just another piece here for your inquiring minds, AO and Hejada. While it seems completely logical that the hypothalamus is involved (given cyclical regularities, among other things), Kyle posted an article here earlier this year that contained this, based on visual brain studies of people with CH:

>>>Although prior research with VBM and positron emission tomography found patients with cluster headache had abnormalities in the hypothalamus—proposed as a key component in the pathophysiology of cluster headache—the current study showed no such abnormalities.

“Dr. Filippi’s poster muddies the waters a little bit, because his group didn’t find the same abnormalities in the hypothalamus that had previously been reported,” said Stewart Tepper, MD, professor of neurology, Cleveland Clinic, Lerner College of Medicine, Ohio, who was not involved in the study. “The increasing sophistication of brain imaging, however, will allow us to continue to gradually work out the entire anatomy of the efferent outflow of cluster headache and learn how best to treat it.”<<<

The thread is here: http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1311825574

from a recent thread here, I would say you're in a minority.

Judging by that recent thread here it would appear that Hejada is in the minority, agreed, but from a larger anecdotal sampling of responses I've observed over the years at ch.com I believe he may actually be in the majority.

You certainly have a good thing going there Hejada where when you feel an attack coming on you can just holler "NURSE!" and the GF will save you. ;D Just DON'T BE FAKING ANY CH ATTACKS - that's cheating!  :D

It actually worked really well for me.   Once.  When I was 17.  After that it's been a definite no, kinda distracting, but always comes back, sometimes worse.

Some people find going for a run or exercising intensely to help too, I wouldn't be surprised if the exercise, increased O2, and rush of brain chemicals all work together...(for some people)

Interestingly, there is evidence that oxytocin supplements can help with chronic daily headache and migraines, never heard of any tests with clusters....

http://www.hugthemonkey.com/2007/04/oxytocin_for_he.html

I have tried sex to abort a headache with little success.

Perhaps I should try with another human being next time. lol

thats funny!

what may be just as amusing is me or hipshot trying to get our boogey on with our action figure type hips lol

thinking deeper into the subject, excercise/sex is increasing blood flow, warming the body.... enough to shock the hypothalamus into regulating the body's temp? thus returning it to normal function? a few times i was able to abort an attack by jumping into an ice cold shower. thus shocking my self, i wouldnt recommend but when all options fail its may be a good one.

AO

I found the following article awhile back, and thought the last 4 words were a bit headline grabbing. I posted it on CH.com, and most people were along the same lines as AO, in that no way would they even consider sex during an attack.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/17/mapping-the-body-trigeminal-nerve

For me, on the other hand, I've had many clusters triggered by the solo variation. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, or just alone isn't the best way. ;)

My girlfriend is glad to help towards the cause, and incidentally, says "hi". :D...Hi and how are you ;)

Would anyone else like to contribute? That all depends on what she looks like...Photo PLEASE  :D :D :D...now on the serious side...i have been dealing with this disorder nearly 30-years (give or take a year) i can honestly say,that if my life was depended on it (as far as having sex) while the beast was visiting me (i would be 6 feet under  :'( :'( :'()...all i can say is,you deserve a GOLD medal...with much admiration.....Lenny

. ;)

ive had ch attacks occur during sex..major buzzkill. never tried to abort one with sex and as AO states i am basically non functional with an attack anyway so i dont know how i would even be able to do it.

i am an avid runner and when in cycle after i run (on the days i have enough energy to) about 15 mins after i run i will frequently have an attack??

Well Hejada, you hit on one of my favorite subjects.  I have tried it multiple times (alone, why wait, when you need it, you need it, medically speaking of course) and I get relief about half way through almost always.  This is before a full blown (as they say) attack in the 5-10 minutes when the shadows are building.  Doubt I could muster the will if it was in full swing. 

I guess I could use a partner but sometimes the timing isn't right, because it is only a few minutes that I could use the technique before the attack really kicks in.  The psilocybes have been working great for several years so now I am only 'busting' shadows and maybe that is easier.

I think it is not correlated to the 'vigorous exercise' as exercise usually causes them for me.  And at 45 sometimes my 'exercise' isn't so 'vigorous' anyways if you know what I mean. :D

Anyhoo, the Shaggy is just thinking out loud ;)

--The Shaggy

.. before a full blown (as they say) attack in the 5-10 minutes when the shadows are building...

From what I remember, this is how I've seen the other successful cases reported - that it needs to happen in that same 'onset' time frame where O2, an energy drink, imitrex injection, etc. have the possibility of aborting an attack.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael's told me that several GF's have offered to help - but only between attacks. Witnessing an attack usually has them grabbing their clothes and running for the door. Also, that being awakened by that 'special kiss' frequently prevents the early morning hit.

• 1 month later...