Hormones, Changing Gender and Clusters

MoxieGirl

Hi,

This topic came up in another thread, but not wanting to take over the other person's thread (so tired of the pain), I thought it worth pulling out and starting my own thread on the subject.

Below is my original post in that thread, which explains more about my clusters and what triggered them.

I've mentioned that my clusters started 5 years ago, but I haven't mentioned why. Perhaps unique to most people here, I know exactly why mine were triggered. I haven't mentioned this before on this board, but the topic of testosterone is near and dear to my heart, and probably my clusters too.

5 years ago, I changed my body from a testosterone based one, to an oestrogen based one. That is to say, I was born male but am now female. At the time, I was on a very strong anti-antigen, that effectively shut down my testosterone, and at the same time on very high doses of oestrogen. That is when my clusters started.

I know I have a lower dose of testosterone in my body today than I used to. Even before I had the vile testosterone producing glands removed from my body. One way to tell is in the strength of your fingernails. Strong, unbreakable nails means you have quite a bit of testosterone. Brittle nails, means you are low on testosterone. Not a precise measurement I know, but a rough indicator. I had strong nails up until 5 years ago, now they are extremely brittle.

So, there are a couple of theories here. It is believed that when a person changes their hormone system, as I did, it alters or impacts on the hypothalamus. Which of course is also suspected to trigger clusters. My neuro believes my hypo was predisposed to clusters, and changing my hormones just triggered it off.

But, I believe Omega 3 seems to help with one's testosterone levels. I have friends that take it, and all report to be more horny, have stronger orgasms and more energy - additional signs of higher testosterone, like the fingernail test.

My neuro doesn't think that if I increase my testosterone, it will help with my clusters. But I'm not sure I believe that. I think it is a key ingredient, and a possible explanation why Omega 3 is so helpful.

Also, during my HRT process, my doctor had tried me on a few different forms of oestrogen. I started taking a pill form, that seemed to be OK for my body. But he switched me to patch because it was suppose to be better. But it was while I had the patch that the clusters started. I went back to the pill, and although was happier with it, the clusters have remained. So, I'm not 100% sure it was just the fact I altered my hormone system, or could it be that my body didn't agree with the type of hormones I was getting in the patch. I will never know.

So, that's my story with testosterone and clusters. I very much believe the two are linked.

Since having surgery, just over 4 years ago now, I have been on a 2mg maintenance dose of oestrogen. About 5 months ago, my neuro thought that it is this oestrogen that is fueling my migraines, and said that if I came off of it, they would stop completely. He has given this advice to countless genetic women on HRT, with 100% success. So I stopped taking the oestrogen.

But, I had read once there is great risk for people of my gender to not take their maintenance dose. So next month I'm going to have my hormone levels checked to see if my body is producing enough oestrogen on its own. Will also get my testosterone levels checked at the same time.

And, coming off oestrogen hasn't seemed to make any difference to my migraines.

Renée

Renee,

100% success is a fallacy and should never be stated by a physician.

Ain't no such thing. Sorry.

As I am sure you know, both sexes have female and male hormones. Synthetics or otherwise can start migraines but stopping them won't make every ones migraines or clusters go away.

Get your tests, but don't expect miracles.

When I stopped my Nuvaring  (Birth control but also to keep me from bleeding all the damned time) my migraines went on a freaking rampage. I had a month long one. It cleared up when I went back on it.

On top of that, no two people have the same body types. Or the same results. I'd punch any doctor who told me something works on 100% of people because I'd always be the one who it DIDN'T work on.  :D

I'm like you Pixie, I'm the one it never works on. Or has an allergic reaction to it when no one shouuld, like I'm having with Vitamin D3. Argh!

When my neuro suggested coming off the hormones, he did say it would get worse before it got better, and that I might have a rough time with migraines for a few months. But eventually it would stop. In reality, nothing changed. They didn't get worse or better 5 months on.

And now I'm busting, if things do improve, I won't be able to say for sure if coming off hormones made any difference.

Hugs

I'm allergic to Benadryl. B12 is a major hit trigger for me. I also have allergic reactions to iron supplements.

Oh, and Steroids. Those will close my throat up AND trigger a hit. Doctors try to tell me "You can't be allergic to them" and I'm like TRY giving them to me. You will be pumping me full of epinephrine and narcotics for the next few weeks until that shit gets out of my system!

I think I'd go with the busting. I know with me, busting seemed to help regulate some hormones. In September I was put on Spironolactone, and that crap lowered my testosterone and I got hit like crazy. I'm still trying to get it out of my system, but I know that it fecking with my hormones has messed me up. Hoping that when I bust again soon it'll even it out more...

Happy new year! Hope things get better for you with busting. <3

Happy New Year to you too Pixie,

I do, very much, believe Testosterone is the key to all this. Omega 3 increases it some, and I think that is why it's such an important ingrediant in the D3 regimen.

But anyway, take care and watch what you take. LOL xx Renée