tonights the night

anthony g

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to thank everyone involved in making this happen. Of course major kudos to Dan and his family.

Working with Nat Geo and the producers on this has been a great experience. The producers took this story and cluster headaches in general very seriously and were interested in learning much more than they needed to shoot this. A great bunch of caring people.

Having dealt with the media on this for years now, that is not always the case.

There were a couple of reasons this film was made. One was that Nat Geo took an interest in our story and cared about the lives of the people that deal with clusters.

Secondly, the first film they shot which detailed our work with BOL, was one of the most viewed specials hey had. The followup interest was inspiring them to tell more of the story.

I would ask everyone that can, please watch the show. Please ask others you may know, to watch the show. The more TVs tuned to this show, the more the likely hood that NG will return to us for followups.

thanks, everyone,

Bob

Very well done by Nat Geo.

Dan, I suspect that anything would have gotten the 'slap' if it aided the dragon at that point! :)

You and your wife and daughter were wonderful and incredibly brave. Thanks from my family and me.

May this help our cause and bring us all relief.

spiny

who shall ask Duke University what happened to their planned program for Clusters several years ago!!

Dan, I am curious what it is that makes you so nervous about taking the mushies. You mentioned how much you hate it, and Leanne also stated that she was against it but supported you in doing them, but I was wondering why you felt that way about them.

Just from my personal experience, I have found them to be rather enjoyable when dosing and have not had any nausea from them. Also, with the safety record of using mushrooms I would think that there is no reason to worry or fear taking them.

Would you mind explaining why you guys feel the way you do? Not that I think you are wrong, but I was surprised to hear about some of your concerns

Hey kyle,

The reason I dread the trip is the fact that I get sick to my stomach every time. I feel like I'm going to throw up for a couple of hours before I finally do.

I have tried taking them on an empty stomach but no matter what the case...I get sick.

In hindsight We shouldn't have portrayed the trip as being so bad. I would like a do over in that regard. On the other hand I didn't want to appear as though I enjoyed the trip....because I don't!

...also....with the magic of tv, they didn't show me laughing my ass off and having fun with the film crew while I was under the influence. ( for hours )

They tilted it the way they wanted to and I put myself out there and left it to them.

Dan

Surely you aren't saying that the media sometimes puts a their own spin on things?!?! :)

hjDHKYp8Kn0ve143j4py3yaYo1_400.gif

Actually, your response is kind of what I figured. How strange that you get so nauseous. I have never had that happen before.

Regardless, thanks again for putting yourself out there for the sake of the CH community.

These days you must be fighting off hordes of fans everywhere you go and constantly dodging women's panties being thrown at your head. You are the Justin Bieber of Cluster Headaches now :)

Dan, I am curious what it is that makes you so nervous about taking the mushies.

Know what's funny?  I get nervous almost anytime I bust.  Not from nausea...but still... I always have to talk myself into it...Have to convince myself--"I've taken this much before, I'm not going to blow my mind...Just Friggin drink it!"  No matter how many times I bust, it's always there...and somehow I think it's important.  It's an enjoyable state, but it's powerful medicine that should not be taken lightly.  Not the first time, not the hundredth time.

A couple of nausea options---scopolamine patches?  I've heard very good things about it's effectiveness with psychedelics.  (I personally would just eat 1-3 datura seeds, but find it hard to recommend datura to anyone :))

A couple of drops of lemon essential oil in a capsule is supposed to hit the same receptors that ginger works on, but better.  Heard good things from other people, gave me a bit of heartburn though.

Dan--thanks so much for bringing this out for people to see...Getting people to see what we go through is important, and you may have done more in that regard than any of us have ever been able to.

-Ricardo

Just watched it! Wow. :o GREAT job!

Huge kudos to Nat Geo and Dan and family for presenting it in a really beneficial way.

Of course nothing can get thru to some folks - there was a person there watching it with me who suffers from other serious pain conditions, and they just went naysayer from moment one, going back and forth between claiming they have CH (they don't), I should use Maxalt instead of mushrooms (???), and wanting to make sure that the severity of CH was discounted and they would still win the pain and suffering competition.

Still, even that couldn't put a damper on the festivity - thank you Hipshot family! :) [smiley=thumbup.gif]

get a clapper for that lamp ... 

LOL because I'm a sucker for CH related gallows humor.  :D

That actually turned out to be an effective moment in the film for conveying an idea of the experience.

I think I needed a clapper last night too. My damn alarm clock went crazy around 4am. I had been up on the old o2 and had just got back to deep sleep. We NEVER use that alarm. I thought I was dreaming and I think it may have been buzzing for a long time. I finally grabbed the fecking cord and jerked it out of the wall after fumbling with it in the dark.

I fecking smiled at that moment thinking I needed a clapper. I may see if Sam's has em by the dozen ;D

My guess is they focused on the sick part to make sure that people didn't think you were doing it for fun. That you were doing it for a serious reason, and it had non-fun results.

It's a damn good thing I don't get nauseated on vitamin M, because once I start puking, I don't stop. I got nicknamed Vomit Girl at the children's hospital 'cause of it... I stopped the seeds cause they kept wanting to come back up.

What about some of that Emetrol stuff, Dan? Have you tried that? I don't think it would mess with receptors or anything...

Mystina

Not sure how to say this right. I do not experience any anxiety or nausea or anything, i really enjoyed all kind of trips. BUT in very short time you get like finished with it, like your full and had your part of it. Even doing seeds now is like "oh just drink it you have to just do it and there`s really no problem with it." It will be better doing them in a week or in two days or etc etc. Excuses. And everytime there isn`t  a problem, but it feels like "OMG now again." Pretty much tells us how much better we`re doing :)

Is there something wrong with me? I cant help watching the exploding head over and over ;D

Haha, that is what my head feels like when I get hit :)

So Dan.....are you in a cycle now? I assume that the footage they showed was a real hit? Did you intentionally not bust before your cycle so that you could illustrate the suffering you endure? God bless you if that is the case. Actually, God bless you regardless

I didn't get to see the entire episode but I saw enough to be extremely proud.  You did a fantastic job.  I am tired of the scoffs when I say the word headache as if to say "what's the big deal?"  Thank you very much for representing us the way you did, KUDOS!!!

I had put off busting till the film crew got here and they had sent us a video camera that lee Ann used to film me. I never had a bad hit but I was getting them every night. The clip of me knocking my lamp out was taken without my knowledge.

They also spliced in someone else. The guy, chuck I think, was the dude on the bed with someone helping him.

I had hoped to be filmed with a K10 or close but it didn't happen. I guess that's a good thing.

I am getting hit big time daily these days and can't seem to get them back under control. I will preserver and kick it's ass soon I hope.

I guess I'm in cycle now. I never had cycles...chronic from the get go in 2003.

I tried to make tea last dose and I think I didn't get all of the magic out. It was weak and didn't accomplish my goal. I guess I'll go back to capping them up. I was told that tea is easier on the stomach. It was but I think I'm not a good tea maker. Any suggestions?

Dan