Do C.H. go away with age?

David H

It's one thing when our friends and family make stupid suggestions. I don't expect them to understand without a bit of education. But from a doctor! REALLY!

I've said it before, at times like that, I wish I had a super power where I could touch someone and let them experience one of my cluster attacks.

My doctor is a nice person really.  She just does everything by the book.  She's more like a human vending machine for prescriptions...as long as it has been medically proven. 

Renee...I would love to be able to slap my doc with a nice little kip 8.  Im sure she'd be more open after that.

Funny you say vending machine... I once had a GP of whom I said you'd get more emotional response out of a vending machine than he was capable of. He did things by the book too, including prescribing me an anti-biotic that I had such a severe allergic reaction to, I ended up spending the night in hospital on morphine.

Needless to say, I switched surgeries and found a doctor I could talk to. Even at this surgery, there are doc's who do things by the book, I just don't go to them if I can help it. In fact, I'll wait weeks in order to get an appointment with my GP instead of the others at the surgery, even though they are all also quite good.

Finding the right, understanding GP, is so very vital I believe.

My doctor is a nice person really.She just does everything by the book. She's more like a human vending machine for prescriptions...as long as it has been medically proven.
  O2 is by the book, in Canada, in the US, in Europe....  O2 is medically proven.  The fact that your doctor won't bother to learn that while you are suffering makes her, to my mind, not really a nice person at all.
  • Like 1

I still don't understand why so many people insist on paying a doctor for a prescription for medical O2 when they can get the same O2 from a welders supply store for a small fraction of the price. Even considering insurance, the welding O2 costs less than an insurance premium.

Their are inexpensive sources of regulators, and the non-rebreather masks are also inexpensive.

I get the impression that too many younger docs. are really not much more than drug pushers for the pharmaceutical industry. Understandable in lawsuit happy USA I guess. Going by the book is a fairly safe way to make their income, although it may not be the best for the patient. There is a lot more I could say, but I won't. You all would get tired of listening to my rants just like my wife has.

PF days and nights to all.

I get the impression that too many younger docs. are really not much more than drug pushers for the pharmaceutical industry. Understandable in lawsuit happy USA I guess. Going by the book is a fairly safe way to make their income, although it may not be the best for the patient. There is a lot more I could say, but I won't. You all would get tired of listening to my rants just like my wife has. 

My wife and my best friend say the same thing. I've noticed that meds and pills wind up in all the wrong hands, especially in states that have pill mills. Then people that need them never get them. Or they will shove them down your throat when you need or want something else. This is the problem I tend to have. They wanna load me on Dilaudid constantly and I say "no thanks" yet I can't get a bottle of O2?

'Nuff said.

/Endrant

• 2 weeks later...

I can remember my first attack around age 5 or 6, but suspect I was getting attacked aven as an infant. My mother said I would be a happy baby, then start screaming and thrashing for no reason that she could see. Was chronic up until age 20 or so, went episodic, and am chronic once again. I was finally properly diagnsed at age 24. No meds have ever worked for me. I turn 52 soon and have seen nothing that suggests they are going away any time soon. Dont mean to bum you out, jsut relating my story. I hope yours stop soon.

• 8 years later...

I started getting CHs when I was 17.  They eventually stabilized into clusters that happened 3x day on average for 3-11 weeks, separated by gaps of 16-23 months.  Then the gaps were 29 months, 34 months, 40 months, and then NONE since September 2012, when I was 53.  So that's >8 years.  In the last few years, I've gotten occasional weird migraine-type headaches, usually at night after eating or drinking too much (or both), which sumatriptan knocks right out.  So I'd say you can outgrow them.  Spread the word!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2012 at 5:08 AM, MoxieGirl said:

It's one thing when our friends and family make stupid suggestions. I don't expect them to understand without a bit of education. But from a doctor! REALLY!

I've said it before, at times like that, I wish I had a super power where I could touch someone and let them experience one of my cluster attacks.

My ex wife was talking to my doctor around 30 years ago about my headaches and she was telling him how much it upset her to see me in so much pain. My doctor told me that I should hide my pain from my family so that they would not be uncomfortable! I’m almost 59 so the 10 years of suffering and you out grow them must have came from the doctor I had some 30 years ago? We can always hope.