School project

Whooligun

I have to produce a scientific illustration for a graphic design class.  The design must be something at the cellular level, and we were provided with a few boring suggestions.  I would like to show the effects of psilocybin on cluster headaches.  I will be doing major research for the next few hours, but since this forum is surrounded with experts, I thought I'd get your take on things.

My idea is to draw some mushrooms on the left side of the page, show one broken down into a cellular level.  On the right side, the hypothalmus (?), then in the middle draw whatever it is that makes the CH go away. 

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Might want to leave out those four letter words we sometimes use. ;)

You could draw a terrified face with a finger poking into one eye and lava shooting out the temple of that side! >:(

Or, instead of the finger, show roach clips on the ends of two wires clipped to the eyeball and sparks flying off the clips. Be sure to keep the lava though. ;)

Not a 'fixed' CH, but a CH attack. Then show a calm guy drinking a beer, with the hypo fixed (not lit up from the attack) CH fixed! ;D Make em graphic stick figures, except for the head. Put the details there. 8-)

Probably not helpful, but fun to describe to you. Sorry

Probably not helpful, but fun to describe to you. Sorry

Fun to read as well!

If it helps, there are quite a few illustrations of the hypothalamus and its connections here:

Psilocybin and serotonin molecules illustrated here: http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/psilocybin/psilocybinh.htm

Going to focus on the process of seretonin. Great links!

A mushroom with a superman outfit on (including cape) clonking the CH beast on the head with a frying pan and knocking him out.  :D

Would make a great Saturday morning cartoon....Super Fungi!

I would like to show the effects of psilocybin on cluster headaches

then in the middle draw whatever it is that makes the CH go away. 

I think this is an awesome idea...The problem is, nobody knows how or why psilocybin makes you hallucinate, and nobody knows how it makes our ch go away.  If you're just looking into theory...

Many researchers will tell you that hallucinations happen when a certain serotonin receptor is hit, the 5ht2a receptor.  But as many researchers have pointed out (and many many more have ignored :) ) there are drugs that hit this same receptor that do not cause hallucinations.

I'm pretty sure we've recently even seen studies calling into question how much the hypothalamus is involved...

Again, I think it's a great idea, and I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it--hell just the fact that this is a mystery of medical science can be intriguing in itself...but be prepared for a lot of conflicting evidence and a good bit of research.  I might be able to help more if you have specific questions.

-Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo,

I've decided on showing that psilocybin mimics serotonin, and will just do a diagram showing how serotonin and psilocybin work side by side.  There definitely is a lot of conflicting info out there, and a lot of words involved that I don't want to even bother trying to pronounce.

I've decided on showing that psilocybin mimics serotonin

Good idea, they are extremely similar in molecular structure...I remember reading a while back that Psilocybin is so similar to serotonin that once it is in the bloodstream you can not tell the difference.  (not 100% sure on this fact, I'll try and find a link for you)

Another thing that you can show is the molecular structures of serotonin, psilocybin, sumatriptan, and DMT (dimethyltryptamine).  DMT,  one of the strongest hallucinogens known to man is a natural product of our brain, and I have always found it interesting that sumatriptan is essentially DMT with a sulfur molecule added on to it, where-as Psilocybin is DMT with a phosphorous molecule added.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/show_molecule.php?i=dmt/dmt_3d.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sumatriptan-3D-balls.png

http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_molecule.php?i=mushrooms/psilocybin_3d.jpg

-Ricardo

• 1 month later...

ill_ex4_a2_houle.jpg

I know it's not 100% accurate, but it was designed for a fictional magazine article, which would support the photo with facts. It is supposed to show how psilocybin mimics the effects of serotonin on the brain.  Everything was drawn on adobe illustrator. Thanks for all your help!  A+

Wooligun,

Awesome graphics!!!!! Beautiful drawings and color rendition

You get an A+++ in my class. 8-) 8-)

You really should get an A+ for the graphics. Thank you for showing us the final creation. You did a super job.

Perhaps we could use it on the new site???? :)