Flight is a cluster Trigger?

AlexItalian

Hello guys,

I experienced for the third time in my life a cluster during a flight, precisely it happened always during the take-off and the landing. It happens always like pressure is pushing out my cluster. Anyone has ever experienced something like that? Anyway yesterday it happened again, kip7 during take-off.....it was exactly two years after my previous cluster....13 June 2010 last one....it came back yesterday 14 June 2012, what a coincidence  :-?

Cheers

Alex

Well that's a lousy coincidence!  >:(

Flight is unfortunately a common CH trigger.

Ways we have dealt with it have ranged from having an energy shot containing lots of caffeine and taurine in the pocket in hopes of aborting an attack by drinking it at onset, to having an imitrex/imigran inhaler ready, to taking a preventative dose of mushrooms (in capsules) before getting on the plane (!)

Alex,

My Cluster Headache experience first began after landing from a 2 hr flight.  I'll never forget THAT trip.  Energy drinks and lots of cold water seem to help now.

In general, strong pressure changes are a trigger for me.  Flying, driving in the mountains and even storm frontal passage will bring out the Beast.

If you ever find a solution for that trigger, I'd sure like to know it.

Best of luck and PFD......

weatherman

Alex,

Like weatherman, barometric changes will trigger one for me.

Flying means pressure changes, of course. Just like bad weather fronts. I live on a mountain, so when I go down the mountain (higher baro), no problem. Coming back up, I always get one, even when out of cycle. Lower pressure is my trigger. Higher pressure is FINE.

Don't know anything about Arthrosis. But, it appears to be similar or same as arthritis of the neck. Clusters can produce severe pain in the neck and often a lump at the base of the skull along with it. For some, the neck pain is constant during high cycle. Muscles tense up and even a good massage won't work the knots out. It sucks. Just finding a comfortable position to sort of lie down becomes a big problem.

I do have major neck issues and need a cervical fusion. Not going to happen. My neck kills me during high cycle. Otherwise, all those boney growths and narrowing of the spinal conduit don't bother me. Ortho can't figure out how I even use my right arm!

If your neck is an issue when in cycle, I would bet it is the CH, not the age/injury related changes in your neck. :'( It hurts a lot and it sucks. Four months of hell last year from my neck. Cycle lasted seven months. Neck pain is not the trigger, it is the result. Bad news, sorry. As always, just my experience and gleaned from a lot of reading. Lots of Cher's get it.

Good luck. Keep that Monster drink on hand. Or coffee helps too. Just take it at the beginning. Don't wait!!!!

Thanks Spiny

I am just going to buy RedBull today. I wasn't on cycle, and the flight triggered my cluster. Since then in one week I had a very low painful attack the next day and now it's from yesterday I am having one every 8 hours on average, but the last two really low painful again. I took seeds just the night after the flight ( last Thursday ) and again on Monday night. It looks like they increased after the second dose of seeds. Anyway I cannot complain, as I was on remission since two years...

Thanks for your suggestion :)

Alex,

Try to wait the recommended 5 days between dosing. It is recommended for a reason.

I do understand pushing it to 4 days. When the head has been tripped into cycle, from whatever, our natural inclination is to stomp on his head!!!!! >:(

Slapbacks are a common phenomenon. The result is that you feel like you raised the beast from a semi-slumber. Wrong. You messed with his foothold. Slapbacks are a good indicator that you ------ with him. They last 2-3 days and then things get better in a very good way.

Try to wait 5 and then hit back hard. You will win. We all do. Stay on the board and let us know how you are getting along.

'nother thought. Depending on your comfort level, you could up the dose a bit. Say from 30 to 40. Along those lines. Seeds normally bring blessed sleep, from what I have read here.

Spiny

I just got back from flying, my flight was not that long though, only an hour and a half, from sacramento to newport beach. I busted with shrooms back in i think march, i was very tense about getting on a flight because the last time i flew i got a major shadow that i thought was going to turn into a bad cycle.

This time after flying i didn't have anything at first, but when i got back home after a 2 day trip to newport beach and i landed back at home i have had shadows daily almost but this years cycle i generally get 2 cycles and this is the time of year for the other cycle to kick in so it could be coincidence.

I remember getting that bad bad slap back man that hurt, but i waited the 5 days and then busted with a much higher dose, to the point where i was seeing kaleidoscopes on the walls, great trip and enjoyed it but after that trip i could literally feel it melting away with a small slap back - after that i waited another 5 days and did it again to be sure it was gone and i won hahah i won that battle.

Like others are saying on here a slap back is a good thing at least it is for me. I hope to always do maintenance doses so that i can avoid ever having another slap back again because to be honest with you - it has stuck in my head that it was the worst cluster of all time.

PF to you -- and try to do maintenance doses a few times a year. I am going to do maintenance doses every 4 months for this first year and then see if i can cut down to just every 6 months. Good luck to you....

what did suck for me on my trip this past week - because i am so used to getting them i used to carry around my shot kit of trex, and red bulls, i actually grabbed a large red bull for the flight but i was made to leave it at the gate before security. once inside the airport there was no place selling them - brand new airport still getting stores setup. But the anxiety of it all had me on edge thinking i would get one while in flight.

Hi guys,

thanks for sharing your experiences with me. I have two questions about: I am used to get 80 seeds, I see you speak about 30/40. Do you actually think I get too many? When you say to get the second dose after 5 days, you mean on the fifth day or on the sixth ( after 5 then )?

Today was really OK. After 2 days of hell, today I felt really good, just one attack very weak, I feel I am winning again.....:)

Alex

Five days goes, I think, Medicine on Monday and again on Saturday.

If you are doing well at the 5 day mark, stretch out a few days for the next dose. Gradually you can extend the time if you are doing well.

As for the dose, I was saying up it by 10 seeds at a time. As in if 60 didn't work, try 70. I am not sure. Different doses for different people. But I do think that with your good results you might leave the dose the same.

Yes, you are WINNING!!!! 8-) 8-)