Smelling salts?

BillyJ

Ever try?  no, but thanks,  ;-)

A lot of athletes use them as a pre-game stimulant.  Seen them do it, I can't imagine doing it myself.

But then again, I couldn't imagine putting hot sauce under my tongue.  But that didn't work too well.  lol

I dunno.  Talk about an energy boost!

Kind of tried this approach once.

What I got my hands on a while back was a kind of smelling solution similar to smelling slats. I friend of mine picked it up for me back in the south. It was a small burlap type of drawstring sack and inside of it was eucalyptus beads. They were small little yellow beads that you could smell a mile away, when I would get one the idea was to open it and put the nose inside and inhale as much as possible. The bag even said on it headache cure lol.... I tried it but what I found it that my eyes would water more and that it was more for allergy stuff than anything else.

But i haven't tried a regular smell salt stick that you break and put under the nose. I wonder what would happen? Have you tried yet?

• 7 months later...

or someone could slap you

Smelling salts release ammonia (NH3) gas, which irritates the mucous membranes of the nose and lungs, and thereby triggers an inhalation reflex[7] (that is, it causes the muscles that control breathing to work faster[7]). Additionally, the irritant properties activate the sympathetic system as a response leading to elevated heart rate, blood pressure and brain activity. Specifically, many of the benign fainting events are caused by excessive parasympathetic and vagal activity leading to dilation of blood vessels, slowing of the heart and decreased perfusion of the brain thus leading to decreased muscle tone in general and postural muscles in particular, allowing the person to collapse. The sympathetic irritant effect is exploited to counteract these vagal parasympathetic effects leading to reversal of the faint. Similar action can be produced by cheek slapping which is often administered to fainting persons.

• 1 year later...

I am not sure the safety of using Smelling salts BUT I have used them a few times and has helped when nothing else has helped. I have tried almost everything ( I am sure there is a few I may have missed)  It doesn't take it completely away but something is better then nothing. I have been chronic since 99. I have seen Young, Sheftell, and Rozen to name a few. I would be careful if you have heart problems, as it does make it race. Just info not a cure. PF wishes to all