O2/air travel

nolaNancy

Hey there: has anyone used Oxygen2Go services for airplane travel? I just tryed to speak to someone there, and she wasn't very helpful; or pleasant. I had an awful attack last week on a plane:I mean writhing around and pounding my head into the seat(K8+) I'm traveling by myself. I can't imagine what it looked like to other passengers, very dramatic.( Dosed last night. Shadowy and fatigued today. I hope it WORKS!)

thanks.

It is my understanding that no airline will allow a pressurized canister of any gas carried onto a flight by a passenger (obviously because of the damage it could do if it were to rupture). Concentrators are okay, but that doesn't do us non-COPD folks much good, does it?

I'm in a similar situation.  I'm flying next Wednesday, and I am in semi-full cycle.  I use Apria Health. They're national.  I will (hopefully) be able to pick up a tank when I get there, and I'm bringing my mask and regulator.  But I'm scared of the plane ride too.  I'm going to take nrg drinks and strips, and have a trex shot just in case.  Assuming airport security will not confiscate my trex.  If you're not in cycle, hopefully everything will be just fine.  Good luck to you!

I always have a laminated photocopy of any prescriptions I carry on, along with a copy of the prescription for my CPAP machine, which I also carry on.

Never been a problem. You might have a problem with the energy drinks - unless you purchase them in the secure area of the airport.

I'm going to take nrg drinks

You might have a problem with the energy drinks

I know that energy shots as opposed to drinks are a good way to. Never had a prob bringing those on, and they fit in the pocket for instant access even during takeoff/landing.

I have had issue with the drinks - so i have to buy them in the secure area of the airport once i get passed the screeners.

If possible the colder the better. Just remember to slam them, I usually will slam 2 big red bulls that are chilled almost to the point where they are icy like.

I don't think the trex will be an issue, what do diabetics do? they have to take their stuff with them too. I haven't had an issue with taking them on a flight but i usually pack them in checked luggage and pray for the best lol....but i always make sure i have a few red bulls on hand.

This is another thing I know practically nothing about, but as part of the O2 research I'm doing lately I came across the following passage in the OUCH oxygen document. No idea how valid it is.

>>Unless you provide a portable O2 system to the air carrier 48 hours in advance of the flight for inspection and approval, travel with private O2 cylinders is prohibited even as checked baggage. Although not required by law, some air carriers may provide O2 systems for passengers at a cost, and it must be arranged days in advance of the flight. ItÂ’s always best to plan ahead by checking with carriers well in advance of travel. If you must travel by air, take your regulator, mask, and prescription for medical O2 with you and order O2 cylinders at your destination.<<<

In that document, on page 24, they show a couple of ways of creating a portable oxygen system. http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/oxygen/O2_CH_Abortive_v2r7_Final.pdf

I also noticed that AirGas/Linde Group provides a travel-related O2 service: http://www.linde-healthcare.com/en/about_linde_healthcare/Patient-focused_care/oxytravel/index.html

When my daughter is traveling to someplace where we know people, we ask them to make arrangements to rent welding O2 if she needs it.  I can also say that the good folks from this site have sometimes agreed to make an oxygen tank available if she needs one.

thank you for the replies. The company I mentioned,Oxygen2Go,

is the only company accepted by Delta on it's flights, and there is a 48hr notification rule: that is they need to have a note from yr. MD.    Brew? is the cpap machine you have high flow enough to abort an attack? 

My usual fly ritual is slam a  couple liters of H2O (that's alot)

before security, and keep water loading the whole trip. Must of missed a sip last week. And brush my hair,and walk the plane when I feel it coming on.(and how weird is that?) This has worked pretty well for a couple years! good advice re: laminated scrips. It's not so easy passing security w/ the regulator! And I hope to get a note from my MD, because 1) I can't talk very well during an attack, and 2) I can get a mite belligerent when someone asks me what the heck is going on.

(I guess some of y'all may be familiar w/the above symptoms:it sucks, and it's  part of the THING : the cluster of Cluster I call it.)

is the cpap machine you have high flow enough to abort an attack?

CPAP only pressurizes room air, it doesn't concentrate O2 out of the air.

You know that room air is only 21% oxygen, right?

CPAP and high-flow oxygen therapy are two entirely different animals.