Disinfecting oxygen equipment??

tucker

My supplier recommended plain soap and water for the mask itself.  I clean mine once a week when in cycle.  They did not recommend any type of cleaner, don't want even a hint remaining and be breathing that in.

(too funny, then many of us go have a smoke after using the oxygen abort an attack.   lol)

Normally there should me none of your breath, which is high in moisture content and loaded with germs, leaking back into the reservoir bag or hoses as the one-way valves should prevent that.  So if you are going to clean those parts make sure they dry fully or any moisture remaining could promote bacterial growth.

Should you do find any growth of any sort on any of the surfaces or connections, replace the parts immediately.   Especially black or green stuff.  Yuck.

Frequent inspection of all the components is strongly recommended.

BTW, do not clean the regulator yourself.  Other than the surfaces for dust, any cleaning requires a professional.  But we all knew that.  :-)

I was just looking up information today about cleaning masks.  Here's what the OUCH oxygen guide says (I'm only reporting what those "experts" say; I don't know anything myself):

>>>O2 masks will start accumulating oil and other contaminants each time itÂ’s used. The build up of dust, facial oil, or makeup can serve as a breeding ground for bacteria. This can taint the mask with bacteria and odors you might find offensive in the middle of an attack and after. It is equally important to keep the flapper valves clean and free of any foreign matter to ensure they operate properly. A good rule of thumb is to clean and test your O2 mask and system at least once a week. If you are using it several times a day, clean and check it more frequently.

A good method of cleaning your O2 mask is to use a Benzalkonium Chloride antiseptic towelette. Benzalkonium chloride is a mixture of alkylbenzyl dimethylammonium chlorides. It is a rapid acting surface disinfectant and detergent that is active against both gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria, certain viruses, fungi, yeasts, and protozoa. It can be applied topically to the skin and mucous membranes and is tolerated well by most people. Benzalkonium chloride towelettes come in packets available over the counter at any drug store or chemist.

If you are hypersensitive to cleaning agents, dipping a clean paper towel or tissue in a mild solution of a hypoallergenic soap will work equally well in keeping your mask clean. Once youÂ’ve cleaned your O2 mask, place it inside a ziploc bag to keep it free of dust and lint when not in use.<<<<

Source: http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/oxygen/O2_CH_Abortive_v2r7_Final.pdf