alcohol and busting

clarky

Why would you want to attempt to put yourself through hell?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Drink as much as you whenever you want, you can even dose with alcohol.

No sympathy from me for those whose first priority is to drink after stopping their CH.

If drinking alcohol is your first priority, and the main thing the CH stops you from doing... you have some issues bigger than CH.

I'd like to have my ability to walk and run back from the meds used from CH. I'd like the scars to go away from the surgery and stretch marks. I'd like to be able to go back to work and have a job and be a normal human being, And some people worry about when they can drink? Sorry but that's just pathetic.

clarky, if you are asking what I think you are -- that is, how long it takes to bust a cycle completely, as evidenced by being able to drink alcohol, your biggest trigger -- you are asking a very good question, but unfortunately one that is hard to answer.  Everyone is different. 

Are you chronic or episodic?  Have you or are you currently taking prescription meds?  There are many variables to consider in coming up with an answer to your question, and even with these nailed down, it's still a crap shoot. 

Some (especially episodics) can bust a cycle with one to a few doses.  Others (especially chronics) take many doses to hopefully go episodic.  You can read "Sharing your busting stories" and gain a lot of insight, but ultimately it will come down to a personal experience. 

The good news is that in all my years of research and advocating for myself, this is by far the best option that I have found in dealing with this disease. 

Keep us posted.

BobB

CL,

I do the alcohol test myself. It will let me know that the cycle is over.

The only trigger that I CAN control is beer. So, I understand why you want to try a bottle and feel the results.

I have found that if I am having any symptoms it is best to hold off on the beer. If I have been symptom clear for 7-10 days I may drink a beer. It is the only way to tell if I can go anywhere off this mountain and get back home without getting hit from the barometric drop coming home.

And no, drinking the beer doesn't throw me back in cycle, it just tells me if it is over or not.

To some it may sound like unnecessary torture to some sufferers, but for some it is a valid test. About the only one.

Hope this helps.

spiny

No sympathy from me for those whose first priority is to drink after stopping their CH.

If drinking alcohol is your first priority, and the main thing the CH stops you from doing... you have some issues bigger than CH.

I'd like to have my ability to walk and run back from the meds used from CH. I'd like the scars to go away from the surgery and stretch marks. I'd like to be able to go back to work and have a job and be a normal human being, And some people worry about when they can drink? Sorry but that's just pathetic.

Seriously?  Can't we just answer questions without resorting to calling people "pathetic"? He didn't even say anything about getting drunk. just that he wanted to have a drink...And even if he enjoys the inebriation that alcohol provides and wants to experience it again, why does that make him "pathetic"?  My experience in life has been this--All my life I have brewed beer or mead, I love the experience and chemistry that is involved, I love the ancient origins of it, and I love tasting the final product that my hard work has made.  I find the entire experience beautiful and rewarding, and if I could not imbibe my brew and experience the effects I get from it it would probably make me very sad.  (I think it would also make me not so happy to be a newby with 2 posts asking a legitimate question and end up being called "pathetic" or making generalizations that I had not said at all--like saying it was their "first priority to drink after their CH".  He in no way said that it was a "priority", or said it was the main thing the ch stops him from doing--he just asked a question)

No offense 1eye, just my 2 cents...

-Ricardo

Agreed, I was wrong, out of line and harsh with my assumptions.

I apologize OP and to the rest here...

Although people say they would do anything to stop there attacks, yet tempt them with alcohol after identifying it as a "sure trigger".

That's what I don't understand. To me it sounds like inflicting pain upon ones self when you know what the outcome is.

I personally don't drink, and never plan to. I've watched my family get torn apart from alcohol. I see addiction with my father every day. My experiences with it are different then most. And again I apologize for forcing my opinions on others.

I didn't authorize anyone to use my line >:(

Haha

I'll ditto, you just never know when it's safe to drink. I completely stay away from any alcohol when I am scared of getting a headache.

Several times over the past couple of years the mushrooms worked beautifully for me. I could drink and party with no payback. Other times I've been up all night regretting that fecking coctail.

The thing about alcohol is, if I have some drinks and get an attack it is ALWAYS a 9 or 10 and oxygen won't take it away.

Two points:

If I CAN drink I really enjoy it TOO MUCH :o

If I have any doubt, which 99% of the time I DO! I stay the F away from drinking.

My liver is glad I have clusters. I own a liquor store, so my profits are better since I got CH ;D

Dan

But I'd love to get plowed :o

The reason I like to have a few cocktails is to feel like a normal person,like Back before CH took my life over. I enjoy the rare occasion to put CH out of my mind and party and not have a major reminder that I DO have CH.

just being normal is what all of us are pursuing.

With all due respect to you and your Dads situation. I understand your point of view OneEyeCries.

Being in the liquor business, I find some people can handle it and many can't.

Go figure, it's kinda like CH....everyBODY is different.

I usually just play it safe, but that doesn't mean that I don't wish I could "just fecking be normal"

dan

The reason I like to have a few cocktails is to feel like a normal person,like Back before CH took my life over.

By far, I have heard this as the biggest reason ch'ers want a drink, not because the want to get drunk, but because they want some semblance of a normal life back.

1eye----No worries, we have all said stupid stuff on here at some point that we wished we hadn't....    (trust me ;) )

-Ricardo

1eye----No worries, we have all said stupid stuff on here at some point that we wished we hadn't....    (trust me  )

I'm not worried by any means. Message boards are here to share experiences and opinions. I'm not wishing I hadn't posted that, I'm wishing I would have worded it differently. Preferably in a manner to not insult anyone.

You know, when I think of it, There is a supplement that I was taking for a little while that I felt lessened the likelihood of me getting hit after having a drink.  I can usually have one drink and be all right, but much more than that and I get hit.  I don't even remember why I started taking this, I think just for general detoxification purposes...I also don't remember why I stopped taking it...But I remember thinking that it worked, at least enough to make it so I could have about 2 drinks instead of just the one.   

N-acetylcysteine, many people take it for hangover prevention.  The substance itself does not stay in your body for very long, the one I have heard reccomended (and what I was taking) is this one from Jarrow--it's a muti-layered pill that breaks down slowly to keep the level constant in your body longer.

http://www.jarrow.com/product/323/N-A-C_SUSTAIN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine

For an depth write up of what is going on with Alcohol toxicity and how NAC prevents it, check this out...

http://www.ceri.com/alcohol.htm

One thing I should make clear--if you are a person that gets hit hard by small amounts of alcohol, I really doubt if this is going to prevent you from getting hit.

-Ricardo

So ... Like Hipshot and the rest . i just wanted to have anormal life again as well and when you are out at dinner or something and you are tired of always being the designated driver it kind of sucks. by no means do i drink - because of ch it is very rare that i do - i am always worried about the beast hitting me .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not being able to drink is tough.   Seems like everyone drinks and most social events include/revolve around alcohol.  I haven't drank in a pretty long time.  If I am feeling any shadows, it's pretty much a sure thing I will get a really bad CH attack if I drink any alcohol.  Next time I am shadow free for a few days I am going to try a redbull and vodka and see what happens.   :D

I usually don't drink, makes me too sick. And in cycle, only if I want a 10+ that O2 won't touch!

HOWEVER, after battling the beast for 5 months, completely toxic from all the western meds, I rather enjoy getting quite potted. Alcohol is my detox buddy for a few days, and a way to say feck you, I survived another one!