almost 2 years! Wishful thinking

k-bo

I went almost two years HA free! Hoping I was In the clear, Today proves me wrong. Not normally one to wine. My wife and I separated about a week ago after 16 years, a lot of new and uncomfortable stuff going on.This is just icing on the cake. Funds at this new point equal 0 for treatment. Afraid I am going to have to tough through it this time....Suggestions? I have 02 but does not seem to stop mine.

Have you tried Energy drinks? Specifically you want something with Taurine and Caffeine in it.

And what's your 02 setup? Depending on what it is, that could be your problem. Needs to be 100% pure oxygen, and some people need flows of 25LPM or higher with a non-rebreather mask. (Someone will come along with the link to the one on the clusterheadaches website I'm sure.)

What kind of new / uncomfortable stuff do you mean?

Sorry that you're back in cycle, but there is hope! You can bust it away!

Mystina

Hey k-bo, what Pixie-E said about the 100% O2 at 25 LPM or higher if you're not already doing that.

I looked back at some of your old posts and see that you had ordered and tried RC seeds at the end of the last cycle but had been mistakenly only been sent 10 seeds.

I'm thinking ordering a guaranteed large quantity could be a good way for you to proceed now (when I've ordered 100 from Iamshaman for instance, they've often sent me more like 200 for $12.99).

Granted $12.99 is $12.99 more than the $0 funds you currently have at your disposal, but if you find yourself able to purchase Red Bulls, well I guess these seeds would cost about as much as 6 of them.

[Tangent: I've actually found that the "Energy 2000" shots for $1 at our local Walgreen's drugstore work nicely, plus there are some similar deals on energy shots on amazon.com]

Here's hoping that dosing with 35 - 50 RC seeds at a time could really do ya some good in the prevention dept.  8-)

k-bo,

No worries, things will get better.  I recently went through the big 'D' and my life is much better now than it was before.  Things have a way of working out.  Just gotta ride the ups and downs till it gets there.

I've found (and many others) that you have to get to the O2 QUICK for it to be effective.  If the attack gets full blown before I get to the tank, it hardly works.  If I hit it as soon as I feel the attack coming, they usually die off to nothing right as it starts ramping up the pain scale.

I second the energy drinks.  My preference is Monster with the blue label.  I think it's the low carb (10 calories).  Not that I'm watching my calories, but I don't crash after drinking one.  The full sugar (green) cans cause me to almost immediately fall asleep.  Couldn't tell you why, but sugar makes me fall asleep. 

Anyway.  When you feel one coming, pound 1/2 an energy drink as you're moving to your O2 tank.  After about 5 minutes on the O2, I'll take a quick break and pound down the remainder of the can.  Never have a problem falling asleep after the attack subsides if getting night attacks.  I'm usually wiped out / exhausted, so even the energy drink doesn't keep me up.

PFW,  Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Jeff

Thanks guys, Only the one HA today, I'll have to see what happens tomorrow. I went and got some energy drinks and 5 hr energy. I do have a high flow regulator for my O2 but maybe I'm not jumping on it fast enough.

Pixie-elf - My "new and uncomfortable feelings" are from separating with my wife. I went from a house of 5 & a dog to just me. Nothing do do with the HA's just an added kick to the depression & my whining.

Bejeeber - thanks for the suggestions, I guess i worded that wrong. I have a little $$, just not the $200 a day for triptan shots.  I went and got some energy drinks/shots, Thanks!

ThatHurtsMyHead - I appreciate the encouragement & support! A lot of up and down emotions, that will hopefully die down & pass. I am at the spot where I don't know if I want to or should try to work on fixing things or just move forward. Everyday is a different feeling of what I want to do?

I will try to get to the O2 faster. I also could drink an energy drink & then go too sleep no problem, especially after an attack.

I want to say to all of you here. It really means a lot that you guys are always here to help. I know my problem is not as bad as most of you on here, Just can't explain it to others (friends, etc.) They don't get it.

I know, unfortunately I am one of those guys who only thinks about logging in when I have a problem. I wish I could be more like the rest of you and get on here to help others in their time of need & not just myself.... :-[

k-bo, I am so sorry you're going through that on TOP of your cycle starting up. *hugs* I'm so sorry, I misread your post thinking you meant new and uncomfortable stuff going on with your head! It isn't whining to share how you're feeling with us.

Are you sure that you're staying on the O2 long enough after you get on it? That could be the other problem.

Don't feel bad about not getting on here when you're better. Most people once they feel good, don't want to think about something that traumatizes them. It's understandable.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, I hope it gets better!

Mystina

k-bo,

On the left side of this page is a Menu bar in black. Click on the O2 option. It will give you a big page of info on using the O2 for maximum effectiveness.

The big part that I have found helpful is about fully emptying your lungs of the CO2 and then breath in deeply. Repeat. I hyperventilate at first, a bit fast and hard to fully empty my lungs. Then, as the pain recedes I dial down the flow to match my breathing.

Most important, stay on it for the length of time it took to kill it. Five minutes or 100 breaths to kill it means stay there breathing comfortably for that 5 minutes after it is gone. That part can get annoying, but it beats getting hit again in 10 minutes, which is what will happen to me. In the beginning I didn't do that part, so the O2 did not work as anticipated.

Costwise you can save by using Welding O2. No script needed and less expensive. If that route is desired, let us know and we can help you locate the needed equipment.

Also, additional stress will adversely affect some clusters. On the other hand, lack of stress will not make them go away.

Sorry for your current situation. Separation and divorce are hard all around. Don't worry about not posting during the good times. Many don't and that is ok.

all the best

made it almost all day today, thought maybe it was a fluke thing. Nope, got hit after work, better than at work I guess.... Feeling really down on myself right now, I hate this shit! sorry to dump on you guys but nobody else gets it, as soon as you say headache they blow it off like no big deal. Makes me want to slap someone.

Hi k-bo,

Keep you're chin up, emotional stress sucks any time but especially to a clusterhead, so my heart goes out to ya, but try and see the positives.

You've got a job and you're working it, takes a lot to do when you have clusters, so be proud of yourself and don't be slapping anyone..............give me a shout and I'll slap them for ya ;D

BTW check out the Vitamin D therapy, takes the edge off for some and cheaper and more accessible than triptans.

All the best

Blair

post-2609-14384707301394_thumb.jpg

Don't worry about not posting during the good times. Many don't and that is ok.

Ditto.  :)

as soon as you say headache they blow it off...

Yes *headache* is a very very inaccurate misnomer for this condition, and I don't know that we can completely fault others for not understanding the severity of the affliction when we use it.

You won't catch me calling an attack a headache, and one advantage to that is when people still don't grasp the situation you can definitely fault them.  :D:P

• 2 weeks later...

Update: my ha's have been strange this go around? had a few days of not too bad attacks that i killed with 02 and a few days with no ha's. now the last 2 days had real nasty attacks twice a day a random times? WTF anyone else's do that? They used to be like clock work...

Right but this cycle I have had them at 11 am one day. 5pm the next. Had 1 day without. 1am the next then went 2 days without one then yesterday 8am and 10:30pm today 7pm and now again at 1am! I am so ready to be done with this! I have went through 3 02 tanks 2 triptan shots and countless energy drinks and 5hr energy shots. I'm going nuts. I think I am even seeing shit like black shadows while I'm having an attack?  WTF is going on? >:(

Hey K-bo,

What Jeff said, plus it appears fairly common to me for us clusterheads to come to rely on clockwork CH attacks when we've experienced years of predictable CH behavior, only to have the Beast suddenly without notice switch things up in ways we never expected.

I went decades with full rock solid confidence that I'd never experience an attack between sundown and bedtime (well except for the one time early on when I discovered beer is a trigger of nuclear proportions). Next thing ya know a cycle comes along where I'm bolting for the o2 tank a couple times every evening.  :(

Not sure what would've happened with the timing of attacks for my last cycle because I busted it.  8-) Hope you can do the same!!

And now that you're mentioning triptan shots, I hope you're already aware of the method for extending your imitrex supply (and lessening side effect risk) by 2x to 3x:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/imitrex.html

I'll also second the vit D3 therapy that Polar Blair mentioned:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1314134804

I see it's originator, "Batch", is now reporting 88% effectiveness for episodics, 66% for chronics.

yes I did & just got some of the older style today so will split the dose up, the new ones were more like epipens & I was afraid to try to take it apart & waste it. I forgot about Busting that way. got some RC seeds on the way. never got to use them last time. I have never done anything like that before. should I be nervous? I am willing to try anything, but scared of not being in control....

Never heard of the D3 therapy before sounds strange?

I haven't heard of anyone coming anywhere near losing control with the therapeutic CH dose of 35-50 RC seeds.

Typically you just take them before bed and the one side effect experienced is a better night's sleep than usual.  8-)

Just remember you should detox from the imitrex for 5 days or so before your RC dose(s).

The D3 regimen is just an anti-inflammatory thingy that can be good for you in other ways. Lotsa CH'ers find it to be harmless and worth a try.

appreciate the info, having a HA right now. I would do anything to kill it! My seeds come in Monday. How can I detox? going with nothing SUCKS! Is imetrex the same as Tripans?

I just took apart my shot and gave myself 1/2. Don't love needles but it was way easier than I thought it would be to administer on my own. Seemed to take a few extra minutes but worked the same. (made me feel like shit and then my HA went away" now im just nauseous but no pain.

k-bo,

Hate to tell you this, given you're in the middle of attacks, but for the seeds to work their magic you'll need to detox from the imitrex for 5 days.  Can't remember, do you have Oxygen?  That, with the energy drinks REALLY does the trick aborting the individual attacks while your body gets all the imitrex out.  I recently took a 150 cf welding gas tank and exchanged it at AirGas here in FL for only $21 for a full O2 tank.  A regulator and mask and you're ready to go.  (sorry if I'm repeating what someone already posted).

PFW,

Jeff

Try The Liquid Oxygen supplement. It's about $15 your local health food store, tasteless drops put under the tongue.

depending on the severity, you might have to take more drops, but this treatment will work wonders!

Horseshit.

Potter

"horseshit" is not very explanatory? I got some drops, willing to try anything. Have you tried them? why horseshit? 

Liquid Oxygen is the name of a product that is a solution of hydrogen peroxide  and other compounds including sodium chloride (common salt)  that claims to help with "jet lag, fatigue, altitude sickness, headaches, hangovers, youthful skin, energy, and insomnia".[  Ken Harvey, a member of the World Health Organisation team that formulated criteria for the promotion of medicinal drugs and a member of Auspharm Consumer Health Watch, states that the product is "no more than salty water", and that most forms of water carry some dissolved oxygen.  The Federal Trade Commission has prosecuted purveyors of such products for making "blatantly false and unsubstantiated health claims".

The product claims to have an effect through increasing the amount of oxygen in the body but this is unnecessary as oxygen is absorbed by the lungs via breathing. Consumption of hydrogen peroxide is associated with various risks.

Potter