My doctors visit

toostrike

9-12-12

I drank 4 Red Bulls yesterday,and then took 10 mg of  melatonin before bed and felt fine after a solid week of attacks.Well,No luck.I woke up from sleep 3 times with a major CH.I drank my last energy drink on the first attack.It did not stop the pain,but the duration of the pain was less.

9-13-12

I had my doctors appointment today.I explained that I was diagnosed with CH,and this has been going on for years.I also explained some of the great information I found on this site.She told me she cannot and will not give me a script for o2.The best she could do is give me information on home set up through a medical company.She also said this could get expensive.She knows my situation.No job or benefits.I told here I am going to start a job in a few weeks,but having CH will make it a huge challenge without some kind  of treatment.I pleaded with her for a prescription for o2,but she refused.She told me she did not like my attitude,and will not see me anymore for today.I was told to re-schedule.FAT chance in hell.Where is the compassion.I wanted to tell here to F off,but instead,just left the office.I will try the D3 regimen next.If that doesnt work I'm looking for a tall bridge :-/   

Disgraceful, disgraceful, disgraceful -- but tragically not uncommon at all.  Better than a neuro (they're often clueless, too) is a headache center.   I can tell you one thing someone here did: Called walk-in clinics and specifically asked whether they would prescribe O2 for CH.  Found one who would.  His message was along the lines of "Sixty bucks later I had my prescription."  Worth trying?  We've already discussed welding O2, I suppose?

Thanks.I did alot of reading on welding O2,and there are some concerns I have going that route.I'm not giving up,just really down atm.I will call some walk in clinics,and see what happens.I think what pissed her off is,I told here I'm not asking for Oxycontin or Morphine,just some non toxic,non addictive o2 for H-Christ!

I have been busy reading the forums,and found some interesting stories.This one in particular.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1305662963 

I also noticed that alot of people go here for RC seeds.It says these seeds are not for human consumption.Is that why you grind and soak the seeds.What is the best way.

http://www.iamshaman.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductUID=1853&ProductCode=RVC-50

Again.Thanks for the support  :)

Believe it or not, O2 is the cheapest abortive out there. I have not had insurance for 8 years... and if it were not for oxygen, I would have found that bridge a long time ago.

Do the welder's O2, you can have it set up immediately no questions asked, no fighting, for cheap.

Mask - O2ptimask $30, cheap non-rebreather on Amazon $2

Regulator - in the $30-$50 range depending on what you buy.

Tank - get a big one! 125 cu. ft. or better. Most welding supply places will rent, or just give you one as long as you pay for the O2, around $20-$30. To buy a tank is more, around $300-$350 but you don't have to buy one yet. Just get it and see how well it works.

And... that thread you just posted that scared you from welder's O2... did you read the reply?

I have researched this extensively. You are right that the evacuation step is what is NOT required... but that just means you might get 1 or 2 liters of normal air in your tank along with the pure O2... in a tank that holds hundreds of liters, it is not an issue. As for introducing contaminants into the O2... believe me, when you are filling O2 and handling large quantities, if you are careless about this part, you are already dead.

If you are still worried about this, simply go straight to the wholesale filler/supplier and ask them what the difference is. I have found most evacuate ALL O2 tanks to keep them in tip top shape.

Note: Welding gasses (i.e. MIG welding), and pure O2 for welding (cutting torch) are two different things. Pure O2 is pure O2.

It says these seeds are not for human consumption. . . What is the best way.
"Not for human consumption" is because human consumption is illegal.  Untreated seeds are regularly consumed by many many people here.  They are safe.

Best way (or at least the basic way) to prepare them: Grind to a powder. Soak in water for about an hour. Drink.  Many people use variations, but these basics are all that are required.  http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1290128974

If you're going to take them, check in with us.

toostrike,

Welding oxygen is the exact same as medical is the same same as aviators oxygen.

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182079-1.html

Pilots have been refilling their aircraft oxygen with welding oxygen for years.  Not had any aircraft falling out of the sky either.  Perfectly safe, and CHEAP.. :)

$180 to purchase a 150cf steel tank

$50 for an O2 clean welding regulator

Use either an Opti2 or non-rebreather mask

My refills are only $21 for 150cf.  That's less than 1/10th of what I would have to pay for medical oxygen, and NO prescription is needed.

PFW,

Jeff

Great information.This really gives me a sense of direction.

$180 to purchase a 150cf steel tank

$50 for an O2 clean welding regulator

Use either an Opti2 or non-rebreather mask

This is workable.

Where can I buy one of these tanks?

Where can I get O2 clean welding regulator?

Should I buy the tank where I get refills.I see some tanks go for 350 dollars.I live in NE Ohio.Very close to Kent State University.if that means anything.

blueballs wrote on Today at 2:13pm:

Get a different doc. Why not welders 02? What are your concerns..I have used it for years.

bb

This thread.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1338767259

Poppycock! ;) There are more trace elements in the air we breathe than in an 02 bottle, welding or not.  :o I have read more posts regarding contamination in welding bottles than I have read reporting someone that has had a problem with it. That I am happy to report is none..zero.Thats lots of posts over many years by the way.

bb ;)

you probably can get the oxygen regulator where you get your tank. it will not have an lpm gauge on it, but it will work fine. it would probably look something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-regulator-94846.html'>http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-regulator-94846.html

there are some harbor freight stores near you, and i think you can buy a tank there (i know you can rent them at most locations). go to http://www.harborfreight.com and use the "store locator."  or put your town name into google along with welding supplies and see what comes up.

remember, when you're talking to them, that you are getting this for welding, not for medical use. 

you probably can get the oxygen regulator where you get your tank. it will not have an lpm gauge on it, but it will work fine. it would probably look something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-regulator-94846.html'>http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-regulator-94846.html

there are some harbor freight stores near you, and i think you can buy a tank there (i know you can rent them at most locations). go to http://www.harborfreight.com and use the "store locator."  or put your town name into google along with welding supplies and see what comes up.

remember, when you're talking to them, that you are getting this for welding, not for medical use.  

Thanks +2.The info on RC seeds too! Yes,there is a Harbor Freight close to where I live.That regulator has no lpm gauge,so How do I control the flow? Would you suggest that regulator? If it works,I'm happy.

I found this tank,but its out of my price range until I start work.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0830366&ucst=t

Renting is another option.I just remembered that my Brother-In-Law has worked for Lincoln Electric for 30 years.Maybe he has got some connections.I'm over worrying about contamination.I want relieve.It seems you guys have alot of experience dealing with o2,so I'm ready.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.

Rent a tank... while you contemplate what you will buy... and shop around. Harbor Freight is good, good prices.

As for the mask... I posted a link on the other thread. Worth every penny.

Note: Welding regulators have no lpm setting, just turn it up till you can completely fill the bag while exhaling. And, you need a "barb fitting" to fit the hose for the mask to the regulator if it doesn't come with one (the regulator in the above link shows a barb fitting already installed on it).

I would have taken the tall bridge years ago without oxygen.

Absolutely, positively!

I have never had a problem getting scripts for O2. Every doctor I've seen EVER has gladly written me a prescription.

Take a small bit of documentation you can have ready if needed. Go to a doctor and TELL him you need a prescription.  BE prepared with the facts and, if necessary, simply and confidently treat the doc like HE is the ignorant one......with a smile on your face and a tear in your eyes. :) :'(

Done deal!

toostrike, my sympathies. Any reasonable physician should not deny you an oxygen script. I do not understand that at all. Maybe you can find an interested Nurse Practitioner who may be more likely to look up cluster headache rather than shoot from the hip. You need to tell any future prospective primary care MD very early on that you have cluster headache and will need a prescription for oxygen and would that present a problem.

Ideally you need a neurologist (American Headache Society can help you with that) but looks like your situation at the moment will not allow that.

Regards,

BostonHeadacheDoc

None of us mean any disrespect to you BostonHeadacheDoctor.

The world would be a better place if everybody at one had time had at least had one cluster attack and had been treated by a kind And knowledgable Doctor like yourself.

I know some doctors who I feel have empathized with me and really tried to help. I have also met at least one Neuro who I believe would   Charge  $$$ for each post he made on this or any other site. Like you recently told me: some Doctors simply want to do procedures for the sake of doing procedures.

I commend you Sir.

See ya in Vegas

Dan

toostrike, my sympathies. Any reasonable physician should not deny you an oxygen script. I do not understand that at all. Maybe you can find an interested Nurse Practitioner who may be more likely to look up cluster headache rather than shoot from the hip. You need to tell any future prospective primary care MD very early on that you have cluster headache and will need a prescription for oxygen and would that present a problem.

Ideally you need a neurologist (American Headache Society can help you with that) but looks like your situation at the moment will not allow that.

Regards,

BostonHeadacheDoc

Thanks....Much more compassion here,than at the doctors office today ::)

It's all good,I'm over it.I am going the welders route,with a high flow regulator,and Opti2 mask.I'll just rent or lease a large tank,until I buy one.That's one weapon I can use with energy drinks.I plan I spending alot of my free time with my nose in these forums,so I can add some more weapons.This forum has given me some hope,and that a hell of alot more than I had yesterday.

Just for the record ... A non-rebreather mask is not the only option.I have used a mouthpiece for years and wouldn't trade it for any mask.You get pure 02 delivery, and you can do it hands-free!

Thanks for the reminder, Bob.  My daughter uses a mouthpiece, in part because the standard mask is too big for her face, and in part because she finds the mouthpiece less claustrophic than the mask.

Toostrike

Just find a welding supply near you....tell em you need a large tank of welding ox....they probably won't ask, but if they do, tell em a friend is letting you borrow his cutting torch but his O2 tank got stolen....Don't let em know you intend to breathe it!!!

Rental rates depend on your location....in the Dallas area I paid a $150 deposit, $6/mo leases, and $21 per refill for an M size tank

DD

I called a local welding supply company and received some pricing.If I'm repeating myself sorry.I just got through another night of horrible attacks. 4 hours sleep in 2 days :-[

125 cubic foot tank = 75 dollar /year lease.

Refill = 23 dollars

Not sure if there is a deposit on tank.Unfortunately,when I called back they were closed.Now I have to wait until Monday,but that gives me time to get the other stuff  ordered I need.

I was told the standard connection on these tanks are CGAE4.They sell regulators for a 130 dollars,so no way I will buy a regulator through this company.There 10 miles away from my house,so location is perfect.I'm not opposed to a mouth piece,but then again,I'm a newbie.Beside the tank and gas I need how many more pieces.

1.Tank

2.gas

3.regulator (suggestions)

4. mask or mouth piece (not sure here either)

5.Any other pieces I'm missing ?

Me & my battered head thank-you :)

Denny,I have been reading in the forums for 2 days now.Congrats on your new home.Nice pics.Sure looks like you guys worked your tail off getting your home built.