impeding scientific research

shocked

Wow, really good article. I like Professor Nutt, and what he writes. Here is that paragraph in full, as I think it makes more sense:

Cluster headache is one of the worst pain syndromes known with limited treatments and high suicide rates. 'Magic' mushrooms are widely used by sufferers, but the controlled status of psilocybin means it has not been formally studied. When a charity for this disorder was approached to request support for such a study, they replied that they could not consider working with 'illegal' drugs. This sentiment was echoed by Member of Parliament Jim Dobbin, who when he heard of current psilocybin work, asked the Drugs Minister to confirm that the appropriate licences were in place. This remarkable – and probably unique – level of parliamentary scrutiny of a scientific study illustrates how the 'illegal' status of this drug can provoke intense public interest of a negative sort.

What a massive social stygma regarding lifesaving substances..considered, with no medicinal value. Makes me want to bang my head on something. >:(

This sentiment was echoed by Member of Parliament Jim Dobbin, who when he heard of current psilocybin work, asked the Drugs Minister to confirm that the appropriate licences were in place. This remarkable – and probably unique – level of parliamentary scrutiny of a scientific study illustrates how the 'illegal' status of this drug can provoke intense public interest of a negative sort.

In other words: 

Politicians don't care about people committing suicide for a condition that's treatable.  They had rather something they don't understand and are afraid of, be banned.... 

At times, it seems a sad society we live in.

I'd put money on it, Coffee kills more people each year than mushrooms..... 

Jeff