Pirates of the Caribbean

spiny

Ok. Not CH related, directly. Indirectly, many of us will suffer from this weather front.

BUT, the sailing ship used in the movies is foundering off the coast of NC!!!! Don't know if a rescue is probable now, but the Coast Guard is trying. Seventeen people on board and the engine is dead. Sails don't work in storms, so they are at the mercy of the sea right now. For those who have not been at the mercy of the sea, think 'terrified'!

Oh, we were at 60+ deg yesterday and it is currently snowing!!!! And we now have our first freezing temps of the fall.

In my opinion, we who get thru this unscathed Ch wise are doing great!!!!!

May we all succeed with no pain and may the ship be saved! [smiley=beer.gif]

Stay safe!

spiny

I have to air what might be an obvious question.  Who in their right mind would take a sailboat that size out in the open ocean during a hurricane????  Did no one on board question the sanity of the person saying...  yea... We'll have plenty O' wind...   WTH....

[smiley=cry.gif]

Personally, I never take the sailboat out if the wind is supposed to gust over 18 knots.  Safety is #1 when dealing with mother nature.

Jeff

Totally agree Jeff. They were taking it to FL to avoid the storm and their engine died. The owner called it in to the Coast Guard, he was in NY.

As you know, without your motor, your sailboat is going to founder in that kind of weather. Anyway, that is how they got stuck out there. I was surprised the Guard was able to save the rest. :'( Makes me sad and sick. A lot of sailing ships have gone down off the NC coast. Guess this will be the latest and I hope the last.

What do you think about an old Trumpy (sp?) or a new Choy Lee? Well, new in the 70's.  ;D ;D Wound up with an old mahagony planked Chris Craft, but I really wanted one of the others. 8-)

spiny

Spiny,

Since I'm a diver, I prefer the newer "Sugar Scoop" transom.  Works just like a regular dive boat for diving off a sailboat. :)

My baby...  Hunter 340. :)  She's a little slow on a port tack for some reason, but I don't hold it against her. ;)  All the comforts of home, right down to a fridge stove and hot / cold running water (with a shower on the transom for the freedom of offshore showers :)

Jeff

post-3211-14384707323806_thumb.jpg