Spore Print question

MoxieGirl

Hi

I'm making my first spore prints, and have put 3 caps down on a card. The spores have dropped off and left a nice impression.

I thought I could then just tip the spore powder into a small zip lock bag, but it seems the spores are just too fine for this. How do you store the prints once taken from the cap? Then, how do you get the spores into water when you want to plant them?

Thanks,

Moxie

Moxie,

I use index cards or recipe cards. After getting some good prints I fold the card in half, put a piece of tape on it and store the cards in a book. (should last forever)

I use a razor blade or sharp knife to scrape the spores into a cup of sterile water. Then suck up the solution with the syringe.         Leslie

I don't make the syringe up until ready to use.

Try using Tinfoil for your next prints.  Use a piece of foil about twice the size as the cap and place the cap on one half of the foil.  It is best to do this in a glove box but you can do it in a clean room and just put a clear tub or jar over the foil while printing,  take the print 18-24 hours will be good for the best amount of spores to drop after you have a good print remove the cap and allow the print to dry for a few hours then just fold the foil in  half and fold all the edges to keep the print sealed,  this will keep the print viable for years.

When you want to use the print  I don't recommend using an thing sharp to scrape them off as you will damage the spores.  You can make a loop out of a paper clip and with some sterile water place a drop on the print and lightly rub it with the sterile loop then all you need to do is pour them into a sterile shot glass with some water in it and draw it up into syringes.

One print can make up to ten 10cc syringes.

I hope all that made sense.

CH

I think Potter is just being a stickler with terminology.  He's saying technically, you plant seeds in the soil (instead of saying growing plants), you culture yeast (instead of growing yeast), you innoculate a medium for mushrooms (instead of saying you grow mushrooms)

All he was really trying to say (if I have him correct) is that technically when

Then, how do you get the spores into water when you want to plant them?

she should have said (in order to be superfragalistically correct in terms of mushroom terminology) "how do you get the spores into water when you want to innoculate your medium?"

-Ricardo

Ricardo,

Potter is a very well loved 'pill'. ;D We would not know what to do if he gave a full paragraph reply! :D

Do you need the 3% Karo in the water that I have heard about? After all, yeast needs sugar, right? Does sugar jump start your spores like it does yeast?

Still stuck on the book thing!!!!!!!

Ricardo,

Potter is a very well loved 'pill'. ;D We would not know what to do if he gave a full paragraph reply! :D

Do you need the 3% Karo in the water that I have heard about? After all, yeast needs sugar, right? Does sugar jump start your spores like it does yeast?

Still stuck on the book thing!!!!!!!

I believe you do not use Karo when making "spore" syringes.  They only need sterile water.  Karo is used mixed in water to inoculate a jar with spores and create liquid culture [LC].  You need a lid with a self-sealing type material over one hole which you inject into and out of and another larger hole for gas exchange covered with any number of materials for sterility purposes and to allow the gas exchange.  All of this must be done under as sterile conditions as you are able. 

The advantage to LC is it speeds up the process of consolidating your grow medium.  The disadvantage is you cannot see if there are contaminants in your LC jar. 

I have an LC going now but so far nothing is showing in the jar.  One should see mycelium, white fluffly looking stuff in a matter of days to a couple of weeks.  I may have a contaminant which explains the lack of growth in my jars. 

There are several Teks [instructions] on the shroomery web site about spore syringes and LCs. 

Again, I am by no means a pro but have learned a lot on the shroomery site.

Thanks!

HaR is correct adding Karo will make it a LC.

You wouldn't want to use an entire print to make an LC,  one drop of spore solution is good to make a 1/2 pint of LC.

As for the water used to make the spore syringes it doesn't matter as long as it is sterile.  Adding a drop of Jet dry(the stuff you use in a dishwasher)to the sterile water will help keep the spores from clumping together.

CH

You wouldn't want to use an entire print to make an LC,  one drop of spore solution is good to make a 1/2 pint of LC.

As for the water used to make the spore syringes it doesn't matter as long as it is sterile.  Adding a drop of Jet dry(the stuff you use in a dishwasher)to the sterile water will help keep the spores from clumping together.

CH

Good to know about the Jet Dry.  How much do you use?  Haven't gotten to the point of making a spore syringe yet but hope to in the future. 

Thanks!

CH

Good to know about the Jet Dry.  How much do you use?  Haven't gotten to the point of making a spore syringe yet but hope to in the future. 

Thanks!

I add one drop to a 1/2 pint of water before I sterilize it.

CH

Sometimes buying pre made syringes are the best way to go for newbies...They are cheap at around 10 bucks a pop. This helps until you get the hang of it better. The last thing you want is to be caught with your pants down and not have your medicine.

But this is what I do - I save old syringes - then I boil water and suck it into the syringe - I do this about 10 times . Then when ready I will take the spores and sterilize a shot glass first then take boiling water and add it to the shot glass and cover it up with sryan wrap. I let it cool for a while , then I take the sryan wrap off and drop spores in it. The I still have a little water in the sryinge and suck the spores in it from the shot glass. This has worked for me a few times. A few times it was also a fail. There are some good teks on it over at mycotopia website.

Hope this helps a little....

Good advice Domino.

In England, you can go to just about any Chemist (Boots for example) and get a free pack of 10 syringes, needles and a sharps bin. Just ask for injection needles. These are all sterile, and free. When done, return the sharps bin with needles, and get a new set.