Gaba

BeastBuster

So I was doing my daily reading on all the different topics on this wonderful site and I came across the one in regards to Gaba helping with Clusters. I wanted to ask for an update. Has anyone continued taking it and had success? Please someone let me know as I plan on buying Gaba tomorrow to get started. Are there certain types I should look for?

I've been wondering about that.  As I remember it, this was mostly Lieutenant2's inspiration, and he reported some good initial results.  But he hasn't posted anything in almost a year, and I keep thinking that if the GABA had continued working for him, he would have let us know.  I believe I've seen his handle on the daily list of people who have been at the site within the last 6 months or so, but I don't remember any posts.  My own research suggested that GABA supplements don't cross the blood/brain barrier and therefore would likely be ineffective, whereas gabapentin does, but there were some contrary indications. 

I'm also kinda figuring that if anyone else had success with GABA after seeing L2's posts they likely woulda mentioned it.

I went back through my Cluster notes and see that I tried Now brand (a good brand) GABA 1500 mg per day for 17 days then went off it as it seemed ineffective for me - I was continuing to have the same strong shadows I had before going on it.

Thanks to all of you for the responses, I had my doubts on this one. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is not true. If anyone else tried this method, please share with all of us so we can get a better idea on Gaba and if it is possibly effective for some of us and our clusters.

Hello Buster,

I for one did experiment with the GABA after reading the Lt2's post. I gave it a full blown regiment, I was in the throws of a full blown hateful cycle at the time. I started with 2 capsules per day and moved it up to 4 per day, until I they were gone (100 ct) I can honestly say they did nothing for me personally reducing either the severity or frequency of the attacks.

Good news though, at that time I was dabbling in Licorice Root (Les Gensers) post and the GABA, both had no improvement. So I went back to the Vitamin M this time a substantially lager dose and IT WORKED. I now continue to use in cycle times and as maintenance dosing and have had WONDERFUL results.

I can't thank the people on this site enough for the information and support, also my old co-worker who directed me to CB, without both I don't know how I could have managed.

Try the GABA and if it works for you great, please let others know your results.

Dave

Thanks ripper for responding in regards to the Gaba. I think I will first continue trying with the Vitamin M. It seems that has a much higher success rate. I busted for the second time this past Friday night. I did not take a big dose, maybe 1.5 grams to 2 grams. I hope that was a large enough dose for a bust. Next weekend I think I will take a much larger dose to make sure I get good results.

I did not take a big dose, maybe 1.5 grams to 2 grams. 

From what I've experienced and seen reported here, for many of us that can be a strong dose range, but an occasional CH'er does have a higher tolerance and requires more.

So this is cracker dry Vit M, not fresh, that you're weighing?

Yes Bejeeber it was extremely crack dry, I took a much larger dose the first time and experienced some anxiety so I thought I would tone the dose down a little bit. But I think I took too little of an amount to really experience a trip, It was as if I was on the verge of tripping but not all the way there. Almost more of a nuisance than anything else, but I am hoping it was enough for a successful bust. I plan on dosing again on this coming Friday. I have had one slapback this morning but that is it so far!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this might be a good place to chime in, I have made myself absent from this forum for a long time, but I am the guilty culprit who brought up the GABA.    :)

My GABA experiment was short-lived, although I do personally believe that it can cross the blood/brain barrier in sufficient amounts. What I found was a tolerance issue, I kept upping the dosage until it got a bit ridiculous. It did give me approximately 30 days of pain-free time, however. It's a pretty unique "buzz", too. Totally coherent, but you can't really form thoughts around things in the past or the future, only what's right in front of you.

And yes, I also dabbled with St. John's Wort for a while, which I think is very helpful for people who are inclined to manic-depression or bipolar disorder as a cofactor.

Thanks, CHF! Doing great, thanks. Took about a year to get through all of my "dabbling" and experiments (including the GABA and about a dozen other things). Now following a modified version of batch's D3 regimen with an occasional (every two months) low dose of seeds, and I count myself among the pain-free (about 99% of the time, anyway. . .which, for a chronic like me, is outstanding!)