2013 Clusterbusters Conference - Chicago

FunGuy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was browsing the page for the conference in Chicago to see if any new speakers (and an agenda) had been added, and noticed this: "And a very special session:  -  "Talking About Cluster Headache and Treatments - A Group Participation Open Forum" led by Mr. Dan Ervin - Clusterhead and Star of a National Geographic Television Show."

Now I am curious... What National Geographic show would that be?

Another exciting presentation added to the line up

Bruce Sewick, LCPC, RDDP, CADC.  Clinical Supervisor Residential, Crisis and Case Management Programs at Leyden Family Service and Mental Health Center.  Adjunct  at College of DuPage & Wright Community College in Chicago.  

http://www.brucesewick.com/

Noted author, teacher and therapist, his interest in mental health started with exploration of altered states of consciousness in the 70's while an undergraduate at the University of Illinois (Chicago). He received a Bachelor's degree in Psychology in 1974 and a graduate degree in Clinical Psychology from Roosevelt University in 1997 and his LCPC licensure in 1999.

Bruce will be speaking on the safety of psychedelic substances along with past and recent issues in Psychedelic Research.

His Master's thesis, "Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy for the Terminally Ill" is on-line at: http://www.maps.org/research/sewick.html

It reflects his compassion about assisting the dying with the anxiety and fear they may be facing.

He also uses EMDR to help alleviate traumatic symptoms http://www.emdria.org

....it was so brave of him

Yep Hipshot/Dan as you know him here on the message board is the bravest headbanger in the land :) and plenty of CH'ers who saw that episode found their way here as a result and got relief through busting.

He's really a swell guy and his wife Lee Ann is a heckuva gal (note when the Nat Geo narrator says "Lee Ann made a life saving discovery").  :) I bet you'll meet them at the conference.  8-)

And thanks for that Nat Geo link FunGuy - the one I had went defunct.

I look forward to meeting all of you that share the pain. FYI I live in the Land of Governors in jail and Chicago has been mandated by the courts to legalize the possession of guns and IL is working on conceal carry laws. About time the law abiding citizens are allowed to pack some heat to arm themselves against the criminals. If you are planning on coming check out groupon and travelzoo for local deal vouchers for some of the attractions. Chi town can be outrageously expensive. Parking is ridiculously expensive especially on weekends.I hope that CB is going to have a booth to sell some shirts and other wares. I am eternally grateful for this website and all the work and finances to keep it up along with all of the regular posters!

My ears heve been burning ;)

Lee Ann and I wouldn't miss it for the world. Those of you who haven't mingled with other cluster heads are in for a real treat. You will actually feel like you are normal for a couple of days.

...and QUIT talking about my wife Bejeeber ;D

Dan

And another speaker confirmed.

•  Dr. Larry Schor

Dr. Schor is an Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of West Georgia and a licensed psychotherapist, who will focus on the psychological aspects of CH.

Dr. Schor has been a cluster headache patient for more than 25 years.

He is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Certified Professional Counselor Supervisor in Georgia. His research, teaching, and practice focus on the psychological effects and treatment of trauma. He is particularly interested in states of consciousness associated with trauma and pain; especially alterations in consciousness associated with cluster headaches.

Dr. Schor is a Disaster Mental Health Counselor and Supervisor for the American Red Cross and was named Georgia Counselor of the Year in 2004. Presently, he is completing development of the website www.georgiadisaster.info which provides comprehensive information for disaster preparedness and response.

Dr. Schor has recently been involved with SAMSHA, bringing awareness to Cluster Headache and the risks of suicide. SAMSHA Link http://www.samhsa.gov/

We welcome him back to Chicago for what will be an exciting and highly interactive session.

Did we have a site update and lose a few posts?  Or am I losing my mind?

Don't answer that 2nd question :)

How many of you will be staying on Saturday night?  What's the norm?  Do people usually fly/drive out right after the festivities end on Saturday?

I'm starting to make the necessary plans and although I'm only a 3-4 hour drive from Chicago I'm definitely getting a room for Thurs/Fri nights and just wondered if I should plan on heading back home Saturday evening or staying the night?

How many of you will be staying on Saturday night?  What's the norm?  Do people usually fly/drive out right after the festivities end on Saturday?

99.999% stay Saturday night.....depart Sunday.

I'm starting to make the necessary plans and although I'm only a 3-4 hour drive from Chicago I'm definitely getting a room for Thurs/Fri nights and just wondered if I should plan on heading back home Saturday evening or staying the night?

Plan on staying.....trust me on this.....

Plan on staying.....trust me on this.....

Well now you have me all kinds of wondering :)

Does the Red Bull rep show up on the last night and hand out a free years supply?

Does Dan hire 50 hookers? Free lap dances maybe?

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Definitely making Chicago this year.....

Staying the whole time and looking forward to every second.  I plan on writing it all down this time and taking more photos.  Sheesh, forgot most of the good advice and names that went along with it from last year.  Can't do that this time.

If Dan's giving out lap-dances ..... I'm bringing a bag of plastic gold coins from Mardi Gras ..... that'll keep us busy for awhile!  Bringing beads too!

Honestly, Hipshot is damn nicest and bravest CH dude in the land.  I'll never accumulate half the experience, grow half the nads or deserve half the respect he certainly deserves.  He and Bob W are my champs in this battle.

In fact, an awful lot of sincere Thank You's need to be done face-to-face.  I'd have just lost my mind by now (and prob much more) if it wasn't for all of you.

weatherman