A good scare to help overcome an attack

Tony Only

There has been a rather interesting discussion in Cluster Headaches Facebook group, people telling about their experiences of getting scared all of a sudden in the middle of an attack and at that point ongoing CH attack disappearing.

Scared by an other individual, scared of the cops in traffic etc. I think it is interesting idea and only today learned that your hypothalamus plays a crucial part when "getting scared all of a sudden" so there really might be something in this.

Experiences, everyone ?

Not kidding about this one - I spoke to a gal who said she and her family (who I think she was responsible for) barely escaped in the middle of the night with their lives and just the PJs on their backs as their home burnt to the ground.

She said her hair turned white by the next day, and she never had a CH attack again.

Too bad Spiny has informed us that scaring doesn't always work. Otherwise folks such as myself who can be scared by a roller coaster such as Colossus at Magic Mountain could spend a lot of time at amusement parks for therapy. It would suck to stand in a long line for a ride while hoping to abort a hit though!!

For me, once I get past a certain level of agony (say, KIP 7 or higher) anything happening in the outside environment becomes secondary to just surviving the pain.

Beyond KIP 8, most input from the senses is just unavailable for processing by my brain.  Sights, sounds, tastes, smells and feelings ..... all get shoved well to the background as "survival mode" takes over.

It might very well work for lower levels when the Beast first arrives because the hypothalamus is DEFINITELY involved in communicating the "fight or flight" response to the rest of the body by hormones.  Messages to the Adrenal Glands cause eminephrine to dump into the bloodstream, thus the energy increase.  There's got to be a relationship there.

I tried a similar connection through taste, where the hypothalamus gets viscera (instinct connection) via the brainstem.  Eating Ghost Chili's (yes, I grow them) only compounded the horror with double the pain from more than one location.

Yeah, I was scared then  [smiley=shocked.gif]

weatherman