A New Minimally Invasive Technique

hello all,

I am very excited about a new procedure that stops clusters in their tracks.

A friend of mine is a Maxillofacial Surgeon. He is a customer at my store and has seen my NatGeo doc. He feels sorry for me and is always asking how I'm doing and trying to help me ... Or wishing that he could.

He dropped me off a print out from 2013 American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

J Oral Maxillofac Surg 71:677-681, 2013

He has done some research in to this new procedure and he really thinks it might just be what we are all looking for. I have certainly tried crazier sounding things; as we all have :o

[b]A New Minimally Invasive Technique for Cauterizing the Maxillary Artery and it's Application in the Treatment of Cluster Headache

medical director, The Headache Clinic, Johannesburg, South Africa

Dr. Shevel: The Headache Clinic, 45 Empire Road, Johannasburg 2193, South Africa

Email: drshevel@headline.com

Http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2012.12.001

My surgeon buddy says he can find a way for me to get this done right here in Abilene, but wants me to talk to my doctors and research some.

I am going to get this done, one way or the other. I hope it helps us all.

Dan

Four out of five patients that had this day surgery had 100% relief from all headaches for three years and counting.

All are refractory cluster sufferers and the surgeries started in South Africa in 2010

If this worked for you Dan it would call for the biggest headbanger party of all time. OK to hold it at your house?  ;D

That surgeon friend of yours sounds like an incredible friend indeed, the way he's searching out what could be a solution for you. :o [smiley=thumbup.gif]

If this worked for you Dan it would call for the biggest headbanger party of all time. OK to hold it at your house?  

I have a feeling Dan Knows of a liquor store we can raid for supplies :)

Me and you jeebs.  2am.  Ninja style.  Black hoodies and ski masks ...... dragging our o2 tanks behind us.  No way the security cameras could ever identify us :)

UPDATE

I have an appointment 5-6 to hopefully get the ball rolling.

I talked to my neurosurgeon today and he was also very interested in this new procedure.

He did however suggest another surgery on my occipital nerve.

Funny, you go to a surgeon and ask for help: he suggests surgery ;D

Dan

dragging our o2 tanks behind us

Maybe we'd be more nimble if we strapped E tanks on like scuba tanks. Jeff could probably help outfit us.  :D

And if your house isn't good for the party Dan, Dallas Denny's oughta be fine.  ;) ;D

I wonder if the symptoms of the attacks still hang around? Like the droopy, tearing eye and runny/stuffed nose...

Did some quick searches on the procedure, and found that some people begin getting headaches (migraine like, tension like, and some cluster like)after the surgery for other things. Like overbites, wisdom tooth extraction, facial injuries and re-construction.

4/5 is 80%, bout the same percentage busting clicks at

hipshot

I had that operation in September 2012, Dr Shevel did it himself!!! After a month there was noooo relieve, not for even one day!! He asked me to go back and did two arteries again, all I had after that was two numb teeth and I could almost ate only bananas and soup cause I couldn't open my mouth for a month! It helped zero for me!!!

Sorry I saw this so late!!

Did you had the op yet?

h

...makes me question the whole deal.

Thanks Heilette for sharing your story. I sincerely doubt that YOU are the one in five it didnt work for.

Do you know of any successful operations? If 4 out of 5 had immediate positive results as the article stated, did you have the opportunity of talking with any other cluster sufferers that got fixed?

The article indicated that these operations started in 2010.

I would be curious to know if anyone really has been helped.

Dan

Dan

No I don't know of anybody. Did not go and search for a reply of anybody who was previously diagnosed with CH and out of desperation ended up there. My personal opinion is that it might perhaps help for real migraines. But most doctors don't have a clue of the difference between real  migraine and CH.

I did go for acupuncture last week. She placed some small pins in my ear on the side of the CH, every time a CH starts I press on them and it seems to help? But got new glasses on Wednesday, and yesterday was a PF day!! it was so wonderful!! This morning was ok but everything started again!!!

PF days for us soon!

h   

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, such an upsie downsie moment. 

Sure wish it would have worked for you heilette, but so happy you're here to report.  That in it's self is huge.  Did you regain feeling or have any other long lasting negative results?

If your friend/doc has had success's get him to introduce you to the success stories.  That's what friends do right?  I sure hope he'll take this next step for ya Dan, sounds like he's got your best interests at heart.  Zero docs have sought me out at my place of biz to tell me they're concerned and may have an option.  That's pretty koo-koo-ka-chooo, I think.

hugs,

Cindy

• 4 weeks later...

Just entered the same post.  I see you beat me to it.  I cannot believe it is available in the U.S.  FDA and all that.  My one concern is that the Maxillary Artery is a big dude.  What happens to all else that it feeds.  Anastimose form the Facial Artery and others is possible.  My symptoms are the same as the subjects, so I am watching.

But the CH is not gone!! Took a big change on the shrooms during the past summer, cause I've got Raynaud's phenononym, (which only happens during winter times) Think I used it 6 times! But in the end like Dan, I was scared of it! It did make a difference in the kip, but it still was 6-8 a day, at least the suicide was out of the pain again. Now it is back to #10 again, and it is winter! But tomorrow I'm going to do shrooms again!!! Hope my fingers survive it!!

• 2 weeks later...

well .. the surgeries started in 1995 according to the doctor.  and the surgeries according to him are ony on the distended terminal granches of the external carotid artery, specifically the superficial termporal artery and the occipital artery.   He did this in conjunction with a medical team in Italy ,, i dont see any postings from that doctor however ??