Hello

Trace

I am happy to be here but sad that I have to be.  I only found out about cluster headaches about 2 weeks ago when I was experiencing the worst headaches in my life and they were happening at the same time each day.  I am a 30 year old man and I have a pretty good tolerance for pain but these attacks are testing my limits. 

Some research led me here and I am eager to find a way to deal with these things.  Not much has helped yet but I am confident that something here will work for me. 

I went to an urgent care clinic last week and I dont think the doctor believed me when I told her I thought I was having cluster headaches.  She put me on an ibuprofen regimen and gave me an antibiotic (i think she thinks its a sinus headache) and so far they have had absolutely no effect.  She did schedule me to see a neurologist.  Unfortunately though the soonest they can get me in is a month from now so I am on my own until then.  I was originally intrigued by the idea of using smaller amounts of psilocybin and that is how I found clusterbusters.  I used to use psilocybin recreationally about 5-10 years ago but stopped.  However now I am taking Celexa which is a SSRI and Xanax.  After some more research I am not confident that the SSRI wont block the psilocybin from working.  So I am moving to plan B.  My worst attacks and most troublesome come in the middle of the night between 1:30 and 2:30.  I am going to try to take melatonin tonight for the first time hoping to see some sort of improvement there.  I dont have any access to oxygen right now but once I get into see the neurologist I am going to check with her. 

I do find a sense of comfort knowing that there are others here that are dealing with the same thing.  Thank you to whoever created and maintains this site.  I will do whatever I can to get the word out about this condition and see if we can come up with a real cure someday.  It is nice to meet you all.

You might try drinking an "energy drink" (Monster, RedBull, etc.), or "energy shot" (5-Hour Energy, 6-Hour Power), or even a strong cup of coffee at the start of an attack -- as soon as you feel it coming on.  That helps a lot of people.

You might also consider starting the D3 regimen (http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1314134804) or licorice root (http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1298659068).

And -- A month is way too darn long to wait for oxygen!!!!  Are there other clinics in town (you could call first to see if they're familiar with CH and will prescribe oxygen), other doctors . . . a headache clinic anywhere nearby?  Virtually everyone here will tell you that oxygen is the first, best line of defense against CH attacks.  You can also set up a system without a prescription, using welding oxygen and equipment you can easily buy on the internet (read about that in the oxygen file at the MENU tab on the left). 

I don't know enough to tell you whether Celexa/Xanax will for sure block busting.  But if there's no likelihood of a dangerous interaction, I'd consider trying it.  If you don't have easy access to psilo, you might want to order some RC (rivea corymbosa) seeds.

Welcome!!

I (we) feel your pain .... believe that.  Sorry, but glad you are here.

CHfather hit everything perfectly as usual. 

Go for the energy drinks.

One thing I can STRONGLY reiterate is GET THE OXYGEN. Call around.  It will save you a ton of pain.

Nice to meet you, and best regards,

steve

I stopped by the store to pick up melatonin and grabbed a 4 pack of red bull.  I am going to start the melatonin tonight as I  haven't had more than 3 hours sleep for 10 days now.  If I wake up in the middle of the night again I might just turn to the red bull and read for a few hours before work. 

I will check into other clinics and thanks for the heads up on welding oxygen.  I will check into that as well. 

The way I understand it SSRIs block the receptors that psilocybin is looking to bond to.  I am not sure if I have access to psilocybin anymore but I will look into those RC seeds as well. 

Thanks for looking out guys.   

it's possible that the red bull won't keep you up.  a lot of people find that it doesn't.   note that red bull is pretty low in caffeine and taurine compared to some energy drinks, so if it doesn't work, you might try something stronger (some folks here swear by rockstar, which i think is quite high in both).  also, the smaller energy shots are easier for some people to get down, and have as much caffeine/taurine as red bull.  some folks say the colder the better with the energy drinks.  as you'll see. practically everything is personalized in terms of what works and what doesn't.  that includes melatonin dosages.  some people find they need to go pretty high before they start experiencing results.

...I am not confident that the SSRI wont block the psilocybin from working.

Hey Trace, I haven't researched it, all I can tell ya is I've seen some headbangers happily and encouragingly report good busting results while on an SSRI or Xanax.

Hey Trace, I haven't researched it, all I can tell ya is I've seen some headbangers happily and encouragingly report good busting results while on an SSRI or Xanax.

Thats certainly encouraging.  If the melatonin/energy drink/oxygen don't do the trick I will give it a shot. 

If the melatonin/energy drink/oxygen don't do the trick I will give it a shot. 

Just to be clear, Trace, energy drinks and oxygen are methods for aborting (or reducing the severity of) individual CH attacks. Melatonin can be a preventive on a nightly basis, but it will not end your CH cycle or serve as a long-term preventive.  Neither will O2 or energy drinks.  Busting can actually shorten your cycle and potentially, with maintenance dosing, keep it from coming back (or extend your time between cycles).  Small doses of psychedelics are sometimes used to abort attacks, but that's not the main purpose of busting.

The D3 regimen and the licorice root method have also worked well for some/many people for ending cycles and avoiding or delaying future cycles.

Two different things, abortives and preventives.

Understood.

I just need to get a couple of nights sleep just to get my head above water and start thinking clearly again so that is where my concentration is at the moment.  Then I can worry more about serious busting.  This is all very new to me and I have learned about CH, O2, melatonin, energy drinks, psilocybin, etc all in the last 72 hours or so. 

I am happy to report that I was finally able to sleep through the night last night and feel much better this morning.  Now I can start to take serious looks at moving my neurologist appt up and checking to see what busting options might be available to me. 

Oxigen is essential. I don't even know how I survived so long without it years ago. It's shameful that we have to wait so long to get it. I remember going to a doctor, a neurologist no less, and she told me that noone in Spain had oxygen at home to treat the CH. I was tempted to hit her.

Anyway, good luck in your attempts Trace!!

Hi Trace,

Sounds like you've been doing your research, and have already had some good advice. Don't think I can really add much (unusual, I know).

But, will say WOOHOO, another Iowan. :) OK, so I'm living in merry old England, but originate from the great corn State.

Glad you had at least one good night's sleep.

Hugs

MG

Jeff - I have found some success with energy drinks and you are absolutely correct that the post attack exaustion just completely nulifies any caffiene/taurine rush.  No worries there. 

Victor - That is absurd.  I am very new to the world of CH but I know that oxygen treatment is not only common but very effective.  I have not yet got setup with oxygen but I am doing pretty well with the melatonin/energy drink one-two punch.  Thank you very much. 

MG - Iowa ... what can I say?  I love it here.  It is beautiful.  The warm summers the cold winters and as much sweet corn as you can possibly get your hands on.  It's home.  I would imagine that there are parts of Northen England that remind you of Iowa depending on how long it has been since you left. 

I have found some success with energy drinks

YAY  :)

I have not yet got setup with oxygen but I am doing pretty well with the melatonin/energy drink... 

Here's something a lot of us veteran headbangers and supporters have learned the hard way here:

What works at first may lose some effectiveness

So having a back up plan or 3 in place is the way to go. I'd encourage you to acquire that O2 for abort insurance ASAP.

Back up your back up plans!  O2 isn't a back up, it is your new best friend.  These people know what they are talking about!  Think about attending the next conference in Chicago, it is amazing to not feel alone with this beast.

Having backups is a very good point.  When I go in next I am going to bring that up. 

I have every intention on making it to Chicago for the conference.  It is a pretty easy trip for me and only about a 5 hour drive.

Oxygen.My doctors had prescribed me everything but.The people on this site likely saved my life by telling me to drop everything i was doing and get oxygen and introducing me to the busting options.Finally after 16 months of pure hell i feel like im inthe drivers seat again.

my only add on here would be to make sure you are aware of the signs of

serotonin syndrome. SSRIs and mushrooms pretty much produce the same result as far as the receptors are concerned

You will want to make sure that you are not ending up w/ to much serotonin floating about the brain as things

can go very wrong when that occurs..

Likelihood is low but knowing what to watch for when combining meds is always helpful

With the melatonin and xanax combo i have been able to avoid major nighttime clusters for months now.

I'm using 9mg melatonin and 1 - 1.5 mg xanax. Seems to be working wonders for me..

This is all after intensive rounds of busting with M to knock down a really significant portion of the my clusters.

best of luck

steve