Minimally Invasive Technique for CH

I have a copy of the April Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.  The article is "A New Minimally Invasive Technique for Cauterizing the Maxillary Artery and Its Application in the Treatment of Cluster Headache."  It is written by Elliot Shevel, BDS.

It comes from South Africa.  This was preformed on 5 patients.  Four were cured immediately.  Essentially, a probe was inserted intra orally to find the Maxillary Artery as it enters the Sphenopalatine ganglion via doppler and it is cauterized. One subject was being hit as this was done and the pain ceased.  Promising.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I do not buy into that method. Destroying nerves in the face can and most likely will lead to at least partial face paralysis, speech impairment, and the attacks could switch to the other side. I would not even think of doing something like this.

there are also videos on YouTube of patients who underwent the procedure. Their faces dont look paralyzed. He has been doing this procedure and perfecting it since 1995. I just emailed his clinic to see if there is anyone in the U.S. doing this.

• Like 1