O2 toxicity

jimmys

not too sure about the pulmonary effects of O2 but I'm starting to cough quite a bit after aborting. Wondering if it finally started to take its toll on my lungs. have to wonder what options are available if I can't use the O2 anymore. Vitimin M, imitrex injections, or just finish it. any suggestions appreciated  ;D

jimmy, of course you should see a pulmonologist.  Maybe (probably?) it's not a lasting thing.  Do energy drinks/energy shots (or coffee) work for you, so you might at least reduce the time on the O2?  Are you doing the D3 regimen?  Melatonin?  Licorice root?  Of course, busting (M or seeds), if you're detoxed for it.  And heck yes (in my view), if you need to go some conventional meds route to prevent/abort for the rest of this cycle, then that's what you gotta do.  (A long time ago you asked about sleep apnea and CH attacks.  There is a connection.  Have you had that checked out/dealt with in some way?)

Could need some moisture......the O2 may be drying you out. Are you running a bubbler on your O2 set up? 
Great point, Racer.  I'm embarrassed that I didn't think about that.  There's some info about bubblers/humidifiers (including a place where one can be ordered, if an O2 supplier won't provide one) on page 14 of the Oxygen Guide under the MENU tab on the left of this page.

New to this forum but not to clusters. could someone explain to me how to NOT get a rebound headache using oxygen. please, any wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Had about 6 headaches last night with 02 aborting in between but  think rebound might have been involved. Also what is the D3 protocol. about 3 weeks into this go around. Tried mushrooms 3 times now with hiccups but no shutting the door affect.

Hi MEA!

A couple ways some CH'ers have been able to avoid the O2 rebounds are:

1) Stay on the O2 for a good awhile after the abort is complete. Some say 5 minutes, I've seen others recommend staying on it as long again as it took to abort.

2) Gulp an energy drink or shot right before hitting the O2. OK there appears to be an obvious conflict with actual SLEEPING there, but many a headbanger has reported somehow easily being able to go back to sleep afterwards.

And here's a good guide to the D3 protocol (which has also been claimed to help the O2 work better through improved arterial PH):

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1314134804

• Like 1

Hey Bejeeber, thanks for getting back to me about the 02 rebound. Isn't is caused by using too much 02? What if it takes me 20 to 30 minutes to abort? Would coffee be sufficient before the 02? Maybe supplementing taurine?

Hi MEA, I've viewed a lot of first hand reports and discussions on O2, but I'm afraid I still can't claim to be an absolute expert.

That won't stop me from giving you my impressions though.  :D

Isn't is caused by using too much 02?

When I've aborted wake up hits in high cycle only to have them keep coming back every hour, I've felt it's just more a case of the O2 continually "postponing" a hit until I stop trying to sleep, at which point the abort may hold.

What if it takes me 20 to 30 minutes to abort?

GOOD QUESTION. All I can tell you is that I've been there too with the 20-30 minute abort times, and hanging on the O2 after the abort at a lower LPM setting for about 10 min would probably be all I'd be up for doing. Not to mention I don't tend to exactly have an infinite O2 supply!

Would coffee be sufficient before the 02? Maybe supplementing taurine?

Haven't tried it personally, but yep, some folks do report success with coffee plus taurine pill(s) or powder. I suppose it goes without saying you'd want the coffee pre-made and instantly ready to drink.

If you're not already hitting up the O2 gurus for their input at at the sister site, I bet that could be worthwhile:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard2/index.html

Really hoping you can get better sleep/less hits tonight by hook or by crook! Speaking of which, are you hyperventilating high flow 100% O2, or using the most effective delivery method, a demand valve system? When aborts are taking a long while to kick in, I figure bumping up the LPM is worth a try - that is if you're currently at 25 LPM or below.

I have been getting headaches on the hour it seems sometimes before. Never had this frequency before. going thru the oxygen like crazy. a little scared. actually a lot scared. started the D3 protocol today and also the licorice root and skull cap routine. not waiting around to see if a sensation is going to get bad. hitting it right away cuz they seem to get bad fast. really appreciate feedback, encouragement and prayers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...