Serotonin

spiny

I have done some research on Serotonin off and on for a while now. I find it interesting that levels fall during sleep. Also, several symptoms of low Serotonin seem relevant to our condition.

Now, symptoms of high Serotonin are experienced when taking vits. What they give you for this uncomfortable condition is a muscle relaxer.

So, low Serotonin screws with sleep and mood and eating and digestion.

High Serotonin can produce agitation, restlessness, sweating, shivering, twitching, etc.

I find it interesting that the anxiety many experience could be produced by the influx of Serotonin.

I wish I could cut and paste from Livestrong on this!!!

Perhaps someone has more info?????

I just want to say as a woman going through menopause who's brain chemistry is totally disrupted by loss of seratonin along with GABA that yes .. brain chemical disfuntion causes me insomnia, night sweats ,,restless leggs,  something we call internal tremors, or a feeling like your going to have a seizure but you dont.   I wonder has anyone here tried useing an SSRI or anti anxiety (ie. xanex) .. or L-Theanine or GABA ??

didgens,

They won't prescribe Quinine for restless legs anymore, don't know why. BUT, Tonic water contains it. I drink it every day that I can not walk a lot and it stops the leg twitches!!! Otherwise, it is a hot bath and foot stretching exercises in the water. A waste of sleep time.

I took GABA over a year ago to test if it would help CH. No go and did not help with other stuff either.

I feel your pain on the stinking night sweats!!!! My limited experience with Valium did not help any of it.

oddly licorice is also recommended for menopause (due to its neurotransmitter like effects).  I have been keeping the real stuff at my desk (from Trader Joes imported from australia) and eating some from time to time. it does seem to help.  also eating almonds works as well. it calms the stomach which inturn doesnt upset the vagus nerve (which may or may not help the trigimenal nerve).   Has anyone here ever gone through having saliva testing done to check hormone and endrocrine levels ?

also I note that an SSRI (seratonin re-uptake inhibitor) as well as a benzodiazapine (ie. Gaba or gamma amino-butyric acid) are used together to combat menopausal symptoms as just one or the other does not do the trick. Since several neurotransmitters are being affected by loss of both progesterone and the 3 estrogens. Theres no reason to belive that male testerone levels arent doing the same thing since CH's are predominatley diagnosed in males. is anyone out there doing a study to see if there are any hormonal drops going on ?  Maybe this is a stupid analogy but we all know what our neighborhood cats sound like in the spring. What if male testerone levels are seasonal and do rise and fall with the solstice/equinox causing inflammation ?  Its worth someone getting the testing done isnt it ?

• 6 years later...

I just noticed this as well. Recently I was taken off lexapro which is an anti anxiety and literally within weeks my cycle started, even though I am relatively early, like 8 months. I also quit smoking at tje exact same time. I think we all tend to be heavy smokers because of the serotonin problem. Honestly I am glad that I figured this out. It might also be why the D3 regimen works so well.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped my hormonal birth control, because I was getting married. I had been on it for my entire life! Since I was 16! I’m 38! 

I got married. One month , to the day, BOOM, the BEAST hits me!!! I wonder if that could have something to do with it? I would have been just about to start my period again. 

There have been suggestions through the years that hormones get involved. And some women are Pain free throughout the pregnancy if they get pregnant. Some guys have found that low T is contributor. Have you looked into the D3 Regimen? Safe and effective for reducing pain of a cycle. Also many have gotten pain free on that alone. :)