sleep

martin

how do you guys deal with lack of sleep?

i find it harder and harder to deal with, since its starting to affect my general health.

over the last 6 months i havent been able to sleep more then 4 hours max in a row(6 hours on rare occations), and often only 2 and then awake again, to wait out an attack.

so how do you guys cope with this problem? with me taking verapamil, i can handle the attacks, mostly. but the lack of sleep seems to affect me more and more...

Agreed, it is one of the most difficult aspects of CH to deal with. Some people find Melatonin helps (10mg or more), and sitting up in a recliner (getting horizontal is a trigger for me). If I had a real answer to this I would be a happy man!

Agreed, it is one of the most difficult aspects of CH to deal with. Some people find Melatonin helps (10mg or more), and sitting up in a recliner (getting horizontal is a trigger for me). If I had a real answer to this I would be a happy man!

yea me too.... sometimes i wander if this wont become more and more of a problem when i get older, and have less resistance to all kinds of things. afterall, you recover during sleep. not enough sleep simply means less recovering..

This is just a thought based on one person with CH who uses Trader Joe's brand (Trader Darwin) chewable melatonin. That person takes one pill at night when out of cycle and two when in cycle, and sleeps very well.  Each pill is .5 mg (yes, .5 mg).  A lot of studies have shown that melatonin is very poorly absorbed in tablet form, which apparently is, or might be, what makes the chewable form more effective.  As we all know, what seems to work for a while doesn't always have lasting efficacy, or doesn't apply to everyone, but I pass this experience along in case it's worth anything.  I see that chewable forms are available in higher dosages at several places now (Walmart, Walgreen's, etc.)

martin,

I take 10-30mg of Melatonin during high cycle. I also sleep (if it can be called that) in a recliner with added pillows. Prone is a sure hit. At least a little sleep is gained with the recliner. It assures me of a block of 1-2 hours in the morning when the nightly session has run its' course.

spiny

martin,

I take 10-30mg of Melatonin during high cycle. I also sleep (if it can be called that) in a recliner with added pillows. Prone is a sure hit. At least a little sleep is gained with the recliner. It assures me of a block of 1-2 hours in the morning when the nightly session has run its' course.

spiny

ah thanks, thats quite a lot of melatonin, i guess id have to contact my doctor for somthing like that then...

• 3 weeks later...

Glad for this post. The doctors looked at me like I was completely "off" when I told them I had been sleeping sitting up or draped over my medicine ball for weeks on end when the pain was worst...now I hear that lying flat IS a CH thing for some people. Its a relief to know...and I'll try the melatonin ~ great idea.

Thanks!

Definitely no horizontal position while on a cycle for me; I try not to bend down either since rising back up is painful. Going down a staircase is no problem, but going up is always a difficult task...

...and this year, I busted with LSD, and that substance is known to keep one from sleeping for many hours. Well it seem to have set my hypothalamus to that setting for a week or so, for I wouldn't even feel tired nor sleepy even with minimum bad sleep.