Rant - morphed to Shadows and KIP Scale

MoxieGirl

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the direction this is taking... I never really thought the KIP scale was all that accurate in describing what I go through. At 7-8 I am playing vacuum cleaner with my face on the carpet, drooling, pounding fists, banging head and screaming/moaning/mumbling incoherent things. A 3 is where I start to panic reaching for aborts, shaking and DEFINATELY NO LAYING DOWN TO SLEEP! I think it is the lower numbers that need the most work. The latest draft here, with added comparison injuries/pains... and no mention of headache is right on the money for me so far.

On the sister site be ready for a whole load of crap though, as "Kip" was an honored and valued contributor to our cause, his scale remains in his honor, and many may not like the idea of screwing with it. But in my opinion we would be doing him more dishonor if we could improve it and didn't.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I regret that I haven't had time to put into the work I have bouncing around in my head on this topic, but hope to put my ideas on paper soon.

I've spent a lot of time reading over the KIP scale, and on closer examination, I think it is a good scale and most people can find a point or two on it where they can relate their pain too. I think we all agree that a single scale will never be right for everyone.

What I want to do is broaden the scope of the KIP scale. I think a KIP number works really well (in many cases) when cluster heads are talking to cluster heads about their attacks. I think it could be expanded a bit so that it makes sense to non-cluster heads.

I see one of our biggest challenges is getting those who don't have clusters to understand what a cluster is like. And I don't think the KIP scale does this. So if the end result is 2 scales, a KIP scale that respects the creator of it and is used on these boards, and another scale that translates our pain to commoner, then that would be fine. Or if we end up with one scale that can do both, that would be cool too.

As soon as I get a spare hour or two I will compile my thoughts in more detail.

MG