Nothing

ThatHurtsMyHead

ok, so I've never been an activist, and up till recently really didn't have much of a care about legal issues related to the 'treatment' of my CH:

BUT, given recent news that's very disturbing.  In particular the recent FACT that data gathered without warrants by the NSA on average US Citizens are being given to the DEA.  And after that the DEA is creating trumped up reasons to investigate US citizens based on illegally gathered data.  Concern that my loving government might actually do something stupid against me / us with that data.  I'd like to ask two things of the site operator:

1)  Can we enable SSL on the website and message board?  This will end to end encrypt data being sent between the server and users.  No negative impact would be experienced, but will make interception and decryption of that data more difficult by unauthorized parties.

2)  Enable encryption on the disk storage at the server.  99.9999% of the population doesn't know this, BUT...  One of the many things I learned when I worked at Microsoft was that there are two logins imbeded into EVERY Microsoft operating system that allows 1) Microsoft 2) The US Government to login to any Microsoft operated computer remotely.  Encrypting the data stored on disk, while it would not completely prevent, but would make mining data from the disk of users of this site more difficult by unauthorized parties.

Unsigned

This is one of many reasons why I use a Linux-based operating system.  Any data that I save to external media, I encrypt/password protect. 

Now I am NO computer expert, so I am looking into this idea and here is what I 'think' I know so far.

SSL is set up on the server (done for the online store at ch.com), if you wish to have your transmissions between the server and yourself encrypted simply add an 's' to the http in the address bar.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

https://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

However, that is going to mess up the page because of the google banner.

Remember, most of the board is open to public viewing so encrypted or not, others can read what you post.  And while sensitive sections are limited access it is not difficult to register and likely even easier for some "agency" to get in (as BB so eloquently stated!)

I've asked DJ to look into entire encryption, he will.  THMH, I will pass on your offer of assistance.

Funny how we have to protect ourselves from those that are supposed to be protecting us.  Hmmmmm.

FG

I want to thank the OP for the best laugh I have had since my attacks began nearly two weeks ago. I mean it, seriously.

To think that the NSA or DEA even care about anything entered here on this board is ludicrous. And the claim that MS has a hidden password system installed in every OS they sell is even more so. I have heard that since the Windows 95 days and it still makes me laugh. Even if they did implement such a policy how do you propose they get past everyone's firewall, hmmm? Perhaps the router manufacturers are in the conspiracy and created a special port just for MS to use to get into our mundane systems and do nothing?! Please, if you're going to spread misinformation, at least make it slightly believable.

Seriously, though, if you into computer security so much, then you shouldn't be visiting this or any other site directly when there are so many secure proxy sites available. Be careful, though, I hear that 80% of those proxy sites are fronts for the NSA, DEA, FBI and Secret Service looking for mundane citizens to harass.

If you aren't breaking the law, then what do you have to worry about??? If you are, then perhaps you need to be less conspicuous about it. I mean, seriously. Seems to me like you're getting to rob a bank but wanting to call them first to make sure they have a lot of cash on hand.

Anyway, great post. Best laugh I've had in forever!!

Seriously, all it takes is one person, evangalistic type, who is going to save all us sinners from our ways by burning us at the stake! I know they are all still out there, but after HIPSHOT's NG appearance I have worried less, and wonder (rather count on) the many doctors and papers we now have at our resources to convince a judge it is not worth his time (considering you are not promoting it for recreational use, only serious medical use... and please don't try to sell your medicine... you need it, they don't). It is now about crossing lines I believe. Don't cross them!

azzip, first and most importantly, sorry to hear you're a couple weeks into the dreaded CH cycle. I sure hope a beast crushing strategy will work for you really fast, or even has already.

I'm not a moderator here or officially affiliated with ClusterBusters other than having been a long time active member on this message board, but I think I can say that the more someone hangs around here, the more they see how uncommonly civil and friendly of a place it is.

One member ridiculing another's viewpoints is practically unheard of, which makes for a great environment for discussions and sharing of often critical info.

Personally I wish I would've avoided getting involved in exchanging some flame posts (when I've been in cycle / on some sort of behavor modifying CH med) on a couple other forums. For one thing, it has become some kind of absolutely inviolable law of the universe for me that if I get in a hostile exchange with someone online, I WILL absolutely end up meeting them in person, and that can sometimes feel a lil' AWKWARD.  :D (BTW - I've met the OP in person and he's a super good guy  :))

Thanks for the voice of reason Jeebs.

I'm thinking of leaving this without edits as similar questions have been asked in the past and for some this is a very important and serious subject.

I respect the topic and the questions.  I find the information quite interesting.

However, this is really close to being over the line.  The Government, Microsoft/computers and Religion all in one thread.

Leaving it for now (hope that is OK), as long as we play nice and stick to the topic.  :-)

My opinion--the last thing the government wants is any sort of attention at all being brought to the fact that their ridiculous drug war is keeping people's "most painful condition known to man" from going away.  They have bigger fish to fry that won't make them look like total asshats.

-Ricardo

I want to thank the OP for the best laugh I have had since my attacks began nearly two weeks ago. I mean it, seriously.

To think that the NSA or DEA even care about anything entered here on this board is ludicrous. And the claim that MS has a hidden password system installed in every OS they sell is even more so. I have heard that since the Windows 95 days and it still makes me laugh. Even if they did implement such a policy how do you propose they get past everyone's firewall, hmmm? Perhaps the router manufacturers are in the conspiracy and created a special port just for MS to use to get into our mundane systems and do nothing?! Please, if you're going to spread misinformation, at least make it slightly believable.

Seriously, though, if you into computer security so much, then you shouldn't be visiting this or any other site directly when there are so many secure proxy sites available. Be careful, though, I hear that 80% of those proxy sites are fronts for the NSA, DEA, FBI and Secret Service looking for mundane citizens to harass.

If you aren't breaking the law, then what do you have to worry about??? If you are, then perhaps you need to be less conspicuous about it. I mean, seriously. Seems to me like you're getting to rob a bank but wanting to call them first to make sure they have a lot of cash on hand.

Anyway, great post. Best laugh I've had in forever!!

Really odd first post.

I've received several emails and PM's on this topic.

If you have concerns about security and privacy, for now please use this link to access the board and functions:

https://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

You will note it changes the look of the board completely.

We will work on updating the SSL certificates and get the address/entry pages changed over to SSL.

ASAP

Doug

I'm thinking this may be a moot issue!!  Just saw on the evening news that Snowdens latest leak says the NSA has already developed tools that allow them to unlock most if not all encryption programs....

....while I don't think mining data from users on this site or any site for that matter and handing it over to the DEA is out of the question, I've got to side with Ricardo on this one.... Too many bigger fish in the mix for them to concentrate on CH'ers tryin to cope!!!

DD

Doug,

Your default SSL change to the board is working beautifully!!!! 

DD,

So I just typed some really cool stuff here and after rereading it, decided it needs to stay in my head for now. ;)  Nothing negative, but a freaking AWESOME idea directly tied to that news article, I need some time for the noodle to idle thread process. ;)  I've dreamed up some pretty cool ideas over the years, but nothing much compares to this one... 

I can't take credit for anything that is changing.      And I'm certainly no whiz at cyberspace.   lol

DJ manages the site and server for us, so anything that is happening is because of his tireless efforts for Clusterbusters and those with cluster headache.

Thanks DJ!!

Since the minor change, I am having trouble with a security message that I have to answer all the time with a yes or no. It is about secure & not secure. So, what's the deal? Do I have to change a browser setting?

I'd rather read ads, than deal with this security message.

OK, I'm old, hot and don't understand all this.         

Leslie

And baseball really sucks this year.