4 step program

diamondmaker

Nice.  The only thing I would say is that I think it's inaccurate to say that the regulator pictured is "a standard oxygen regulator for welding tanks."  In my experience, most standard welding regulators do not have the barbed connector that this one has (which is needed to attach a mask and tubing).  The one shown here is the one that Racer mentioned in his post to Vickle today; it can be ordered from Harbor Freight.  In order to use a standard welding oxygen regulator, you need to get an adapter that turns the DISS fitting into a barbed fitting.  These are pretty easy to buy online, but they don't come with most standard regulators (as far as I know), and I wasn't able to buy one at a welding O2 store.

It does say you might have to add one, most do not come with one, then some do. Sure looks like this one does...

http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-regulator-94846.html

If not these are readily available at amazon for under $3, and I have seen them at hardware stores...

http://www.amazon.com/Dixon-OA61-Oxygen-Fitting-Coupler/dp/B007D5KS2A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1379935436&sr=8-3&keywords=oxygen+barbed+fitting

Ah, yes.  I didn't see that wording.  And you're right about the Harbor Freight one, and right about the adapter being easy to purchase if you know what you're looking for and know that such a thing exists (I just bought two for .99 each).   

I was reacting to the "standard oxygen regulator" wording because when I first set up welding O2, the process was quite unsettling (we needed it, and I wasn't sure I was going to do the right things to get it), and coming home with an expensive regulator from a welding supply store and then finding that the fitting wasn't right for the tubing was very distressing.  Once you've done it all, it's a piece of cake, but in the midst of doing it for the first time, every step was freakin' me out.

That's why I tried to write that piece clearly - it was confusing to me the first time also. I did those years ago - probably time to update.......

Edit to add: FWIW, standard medical O2 tubing with the thick ends on it, will stretch and stay tight in the regular threaded fitting - without a barb. I just soaked mine in hot water to soften it up, and "threaded" it onto the fitting. It takes some work, but it will go on there - and stays put unless you really yank on it.

Marc

• 5 weeks later...