Bruxism and TMJ problems(jaw clenching/grinding)

overit

I always clench at night and always have. I started having pain on my left side a few years ago but never on the right. Now I'm getting these cluster headaches on the right and because my upper teeth hurt during the headaches it makes me wonder if all of the clenching is causing the headaches.

overit,

This is not to say that your clenching might not be causing problems, but almost 50% of people with CH get pain in their teeth during an attack, and 37-45% have jaw pain (the trigeminal nerve goes to those places).  See page 5 here: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/102870832/CLUSTER-HEADACHE-IN-THE-UNITED-STATES-DEMOGRAPHICS-CLINICAL-CHARACTERISTICS-TRIGGERS-AND-PERSONAL-BURDEN

Tooth removal and other dental surgeries and procedures, sinus surgeries, and various TMJ treatments have been undertaken by a lot of folks with CH to try to deal with the pain -- in most cases, those things have no positive effects.

How are you doing on getting oxygen?

What CHf said!

it is common indeed for the trigeminal nerve, which is the one affected with CH, to also light up those upper teeth at times.

Countless headbangers - including myself - have had teeth extractions etc. done, believing a dental issue could be causing the CH symptoms, only to eventually realize it's the other way around.

I'm trying to get in with a neurologist who specializes in headaches. I'm not getting bad pain too often now that I stopped drinking. I had a headache Saturday in the middle of the night but after taking 800mg of ibuprofen and chugging 2 cups of coffee it subsided. I've had mild pain in my teeth throughout the day yesterday and today but nothing major.

I busted with paper yesterday at a higher dose so hopefully that helps. I saw gravity in 3d during the busy which was fun. If these def are cluster headaches, they are a very mild case. I've only had around 5 really horrible headaches since this started but have had several bad ones.

The doc I found on the list doesn't take an[y] insurance.

Does that mean your insurance wouldn't cover it, or that you'd have to pay him in full and then submit it to your insurance company on your own?

Not sure. I have to talk to my insurance company.