Dr Elliot Shevel

moto252o

I despise editing posts.  But after discussion with other admin persons it seemed necessary in this thread which incorrectly identified wrong individuals and therefore cast doubt on their qualifications, expertise and commitment to persons with CH.

Opinions are fine. Lets play nice.

OK, I really hate editing posts.

FG

• 2 months later...
I wanted to know if anyone is aware or heard of this doctor. If not please research. He claims to have a cure for migraine and cluster headaches and I am speaking with him personally. He claims he can help, and help permanately with safe and non invasive surgery. Against my doctors advice( who never helped or took time to care anyway) I will be having this surgery. I will be traveling to South Africa and taking a leap of faith. There are YouTube videos of cluster patients he has cured with only 1 known fail to date.

Hi, I just want to say good luck on your venture. Why do people and doctors say no when nothing else helps.  Why would you not try?  I believe there is no brain surgery, they work only on vessels outside the brain. After all the so called legal medications that just ruin your internal organs, I believe it is worth a try.  Good luck, cant wait to hear how you go 

• 6 months later...

Yes, PLEASE don't do this surgery!  My sister went twice as she really believes Dr Shevel could cure her.  Both times her wounds got badly infected and the cuts in front of her ears looks horrible as the stitches were not done properly. 

Soooooo "sad" that she ended up there ...

Don't do it.

I meant to comment on the other thread but never got around to it. There are a number of surgeons offering a surgical 'cure' of migraine and occasionally cluster headache as well. It appears this man ligates arteries, branches of the external carotid, and in addition can remove certain small facial muscles.

Unfortunately this is all nonsense to me. These are brain disorders, and such procedures could never produce a 'cure' and it is very hard to find a biological rationale for improvement either. I have seen victims of migraine surgery but not cluster surgery like this...as yet. This man likely knows very very little about headache medicine- he is a surgeon with NO training in headache medicine and does NOT manage headache patients. I am open to odd treatments if there is some biological rationale but it is nonsense here. Happy to discuss further if needed.

'noninvasive surgery'- is n't that an oxymoron? It is easy to think that such procedures should only be last resort- but that is wrong- they should not be done at all.

Sorry if I am stern here, but I do not like vulnerable people being taken advantage off by, at best, misguided physicians.

Peace.

BostonHeadacheDoc  :-/

Listen to this guy.  He really does have his shit in one sock.

Potter

• 1 month later...

I wish I can convince anyone, but I know if you are desperate enough... You will probably not listen.

I have been through 2 operations, and sadly my headaches is not even 1% better. As a matter of fact, where he has cut hurts tremendously. AND I AM R70 000 South African Rand poorer. He promised me he would make it better.  >:( My husband took out a second mortgage on our home. I have also found out that he has lied to me. My jaw could not open after the first operation, and he said he never had this problem... Just to find out someone else on this forum had the same problem.

I went to the headache clinic specifically asking them to help me with medication overuse headaches, and they just wanted to operate. I was already taken morphine on a regular basis, I WAS DESPERATE.

I THINK THE HEADACHE CLINIC IS THE LAST PLACE TO VISIT IN SOUTH AFRICA IF YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM CH.

IN my opinion they are money hungry sharks, which thrive on the desperate and vulnerable.

I am considering seeking legal advice. For me, this is fraud, and I would like my money back!!!

I would gladly answer any questions you might have...

After every operation, I got infection. They do not sterilize where they cut, that's why infection happens so frequently. I know they do not sterilize, because the tears on my cheeks where clearly visible through my make-up.

The day when they did the tests I have given them a list of all the meds and ASKED HIM ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS.... WHAT ABOUT THE DETOX. Seriously, if I asked him 5 times, I am not joking. Every time, he told me that so how, after the operations, there IS ZERO DETOX effects. I had the WORST DETOX in Desember after the first operation. Sad, since, my original reason I went there was for them to PLEASE get me off of all the meds!!!! For goodness sake, as a clinic specializing in headaches, the effect of rebound headaches should be so clear!!!  Again, they are money hungry sharks!!!

Moemfie,

Sorry to hear of your surgery issues.  I think the majority on the board here feel the same.  Cutting on someone's face, muscle, nerves or brain don't appear to help many at all.  So sorry to hear of the issues you've experienced.

You seem to be new to the board.  Have you tried mushrooms, or the seeds discussed?  Sooooooo many here have had great success with either reducing or completely stopping their CH. 

Maybe start a new thread and Please tell us more about you?

PFW,

J

im not in support of this person ,, I don't know anything other than what you all have read on the internet.  I do however wonder about surface nerves being partly to blame as there are those on this site that have received a modicum of relief with botox injections which to me indicates that the problems are not in the brain or at least can be addressed in several different ways. ie. you can medication for a tension headache,, or get massage, or get acupuncture.. more than one way to skin a cat so to speak.

im not in support of this person ,, I don't know anything other than what you all have read on the internet.  I do however wonder about surface nerves being partly to blame as there are those on this site that have received a modicum of relief with botox injections which to me indicates that the problems are not in the brain or at least can be addressed in several different ways. ie. you can take medication for a tension headache,, or get massage, or get acupuncture.. more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. 

• 5 months later...

Deb Zale here... And it's been 1 year & 4 months to date of my video... I'm still Totally cluster attack free!!!! I thank Dr Shevel everyday for giving me my life back... And I have had NO side effects or problems at all. After 18 years of living in hell, my only regret is I did not find Dr Shevel sooner.

I only post/share my experience for the awareness of others that may find hope & benefit for themselves as I did. I am SO glad I never saw the negative attitudes regarding Dr. Shevel before I went to South Africa... If I had, I may not have gone there. That would have been the biggest mistake I could have made. While at the clinic I personally met several former cluster sufferers from all over the world who I still keep in touch with & are also still pain attack free. Reading all the blogs that in no way represent the experience I, and so many others, have had at the clinic serves no purpose for me. I live every day forever & deeply grateful for all Dr. Shevel and his treatment team did for me. I am also grateful for having had a neurologist that fully examined Dr. Shevel's research, clinical trails & treatment procedures before I made the decision to go to South Africa. My Neurologist-Dr William Gooch of The Neurosciences Institute, Kingston & Albany, NY said to me ... "This is the most promising work being done to address the true pathology of this condition". I did take a HUGE risk... Best thing I have ever done & loving life free of pain & fear 😊

These people RELENTLESSLY email me on my YouTube videos andconstantly try to post on my blog.....they do not give up.

I prescreen all blog and YouTube video comments.

If anyone ever wants to talk to me about surgery I am gladly willing to share my experience. I have never forced my choices on anyone. I share my experience with people and let them make their own mind up based on their beliefs, not mine. 

I have PTSD now thanks to brain surgery. Amongst an array of other side effects.

Deb,

One person is not a cure...  How do you know you're just not shifted to being eposodic?  You don't...    There are lots of people that from time to time shift from eposodic to chronic and back to eposodic.  Your claims are not in concert with rational cause and effect analysis.

Those THOUSANDS of us that take low dose halucinogens are a VERY loud voice but can't speak of our treatment to 99% of others on the planet.  

You say that this site promotes some treatements over others?  Yes...  You're correct.  Weight is given to those treatements that are PROVEN to be effective, and not a quack proporting to have a 'cure', which might have worked on one person.  Enormous discussions on this board also include 100% O2 as the #1 abortive, Vitamin D supliments make a HUGE difference in reducing attack frequency and intensity, among many, many other treatments discussed here.  

Thousands of people that now take these low dose treatments are FACT that it helps reduce the frequency and intesity, or in many many instances are completely pain free.  Are we cured?  No...  And I seriously doubt you are either, You're ONE person, that's in REMISSION....  Remission is VERY different than cured...  In remission is NOT cured..

It's great that you want to get the word out of being pain free, but saying over and over that you're cured is very missleading and quite frankly turns most of us off.  Because there is NO cure.

J

J, and any others wanting to debate... I'm not posting to this blog anymore. I use the word cure. I use it as my chronic cluster attacks have terminated for over a year. To me, that is a cure for the hell I was living in for 18 years. I'm not promoting any particular method of treatment. I'm only sharing for those that may find the info valuable. I know what Dr Shevel did for me worked. That is more than ALL the multitude of Dr.'s and outrageous $ I have spent in the U.S. that did NOTHING to help me. Finally, be aware that professor/ neurologist Speirings form Harvard is working with US neurosurgeons in U.S. to replicate Dr Shevels research & methods. It will eventually be an option for us in the US😊. Stay tuned...

Deb,

I don't think there's a debate here.  One person in remission is not a cure.  Your comments would have much more weight if you said you were in remission.  When you say over and over again that you're cured.  99% of the rest of us, say BS, and from there out, all we hear is another crackpot saying they're selling a cure.  Not to mention your repeated bashing the treatment that thousands (if not tens of thousands) of us use to put their CH into remission (That really works, and without cutting anywhere on our bodies!), speaks to your level of knowldge of 'busting', as really being non existent.  Busting as well as O2, Vitamin D etc are VERY effective treatments if the dosing process is followed properly.  Me personally, have been pain free for most of the last four and a half years thanks to mm (and I was eposodic turned chronic).

Summary:  You want to bash a treatment that thousands if not tens of thousands of people use successfully and promote a treatement ONE person has had success with.  That sentence should tell you why people don't really want to listen.

Remission does not equal cure.  That's a simple fact of medicine.

Again, glad to hear you're getting some well deserved pain free time.  :)  I'm genuinely glad you're PF at the moment, and genuinly hope you continue to be PF.

J