Rant

birdman

You would think that oxygen was the main componet to blowing up the world!!!! (As far as I know it isn't)  All I want is to purchase, with my own damn money a large m tank from a welding company.  Zero luck!!!! Tried the home care companies and I mention that I do not want to go through insurance, I am willing to pay U.S. Currency.  And every rep goes, oh, we can't do that, we have to go through insurance.  No you don't!!!!!!  Charge me dammit!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who does welding in your area? Can you go directly to a "shop", like a garage, or car mechanic and explain and possible take cash? I know I could walk 2 blocks to the fire station and they would help me. Again just trying to grasp at straws.    Leslie

I did a search on ch.com and hope to have some positive results.  Reaching out to mechanic and fireman friends for help.  Couple of buddies are rescue firefighters and are scuba trained and ready.  Will let you know if any of this is successful.  One fireman friend promised me a tank tonight.

This has got to have something to do with being in the NYC area Tim......I called a welding supply house here in Dallas and told them I needed an M tank......no questions asked, just $150 deposit, $8/mo lease, and $18.75 for a refill.....

And Leslie is right, I went to a fire station several years ago and they were more than willing to help me out......didn't really work that well but I'm sure it was a very low flow they were giving me.

DD

Well it was another horrible night.  Having lots of bad thoughts during those dark hours.  O2 was only somewhat helpful and I am burning through the m60 tanks.  Talked with nuero and have pain mgmt set for friday morning.  They had an orthopedist review my catscan and think that the hip is not as bad as previously thought.  Probably gonna do a pred taper.  Then they started talking about botox and or occiptal nerve work.  What the ?????  I am no totally afraid to even close my eyes and try to sleep. What the hell else can I do?

Are we ch'ers sure that using welders oxygen is safe?  I am apprehensive when every none knowing individual swears that there is a major difference between medical grade and welders

Hello birdman,

There is no difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen. All are pure oxygen. In medical oxygen it is certified that the tank is full and that the tank meets certain standards.

Good luck my friend.

I hope you get a hold of some soon.

CArl...

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Welding Supplies."

Also, eBay carries tanks, regulators, masks, tubing, etc., often with free shipping.

When buying a regulator, make sure it fits your tank and goes up to at least 15 LPM. Most CHer's find 11 - 12 LPM is a good flow rate.

A rebreather mask is essential when getting a mask. Rebreather masks have a plastic bag hanging from the mask that fills with Oxygen.   

Many people like to use bubble humidifier (O2 runs through sterile water before entering the mask) to filter and humidify the O2. They attach in-line, typically at the regulator.

Hey Tim,

From my understanding the difference is that a med O2 tank has to be purged prior to filling......the only problem you can have with a welding O2 tank is it could have been part of an Oxy Acet rig with faulty reg and Acetelyn bled into the O2 tank......this will be more than obvious with a sniff test (which is what they do when they fill a welding O2 tank).......believe me, if it has ANY Aceyelyn in it you WILL smell it!!

DD

Picked up a welding tank this weekend and got it all hooked up.  Finally running a full o2 setup.  Managed to string together sleep of more then two hours at a time.  Felt great and was hoping to turn a corner.  Now I just got hit at work and fought off with 02 but get this.  It was on the left side, not the right side.  The whole time it was building up I was thinking "can't be, must be a phantom sinus thing"  But when it became all too familiar and responded to the 02 I damn near cried.  Someone please tell me that I am not starting a new cycle on the left side!!!  Or that I am going to have both sides at the same time!!!  Reaching my boiling point here in NYC!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Left and right hits are rare but happen, for example I shadow on right and left side but get hit on right side.

But sometimes shadow goes to kip3 on left side.

I think they can happen on both sides same time.

It has to do something with our brain sides or so I guess.

Though I noticed for example if my right eye shadows and I am sitting in chair and then I stand up quickly and lets say pick something heavy or do some exercise shadow will disappear from right side and repear on left side or again on right side.

isnt that weird?

Just got an appointment for Thursday morning for the trigger point injections.  So I go at 8:45 for mri of the hip, and 9:15 for injections.  Some morning eh?  Thank God they are around the corner from each other and run by the same office.  Also, hoping to dose tonight with some new "found" materials, thank you angel, and try to get to some pain free times.  Wish me luck! :D

All right, here's a recap.  Started out with Left sided Ch's and ice, o2(finally) and red bulls.  Added two doses of RC seeds and suddenly was at peak cycle.  Maybe the seeds fast forwarded me.  Started getting chronic neck pain and it spread throught my head.  Ended up getting trigger point injections yesterday which provided temporary relief.  Dosed with shroom last night (thanks angel) after the CH's switched to the right side.  I was/am afraid that the cycle was a quick one on the left and a new one on the right.  Had three attacks during the night, all dealt with ten minutes of 02.  Zero hits today and definetly some neurological/cranial activity.  The pressure and neck pain has gotten so intense though I couldn't keep my eyes open.  Possible tension headaches or sinus from all the ice and air conditioner to the face.  Take a hot bath and applied hot towels to neck and face and viola, gone.  As of right now, feel the best I have in a long time.  Praying it lasts for a little while.  I would kill for one full nights sleep.  Last time I tried shrooms it only took one dose to bust a stubborn cycle,  maybe I will get lucky again.  Hope all are having some pain free time and sorry for the rambling.  Had to talk to someone about it and you folks are like family. ;D

I hope the shrooms did the trick. I have a sneaky suspicion that you busted the cycle because the very same thing happens to me. I mean almost down to the letter, the exact same thing. I usually end up dosing one more time, a week later, and then I'm fine for a good while. Keep us posted my friend and best PF wishes coming from us here.

Donnie