doc wont help.

jimmys

its December. time for my 4 to 6 week cycle. I've asked my doc to let me off from work through the duration of this cycle as I am getting hit mainly through the nights and waking up tired and fatigued from the series of battles the night before then having to drag myself into work hoping I don't get the occasional afternoon hit. it shows up in my work and attitude and can very easily lose my job. So in trying to save my job I lost my job for not showing up, all the time thinking that my doc would ok it. after all he did give me a note but failed to back it up on the questionnaire the company sent him. His assistant had the ignorance to tell me that cluster headaches are not debilitating enough to accommodate time off from work. I am so tired of people dismissing these things as nothing especially those who are supposed to help us. does anyone know if I have any legal leg to stand on to fight this doc or know of an attorney in the south Florida area who can help me? :(:D

Jimmys,

I understand your dilema.  I was fired from a very good paying technology job in 99' when in the middle of a bad cycle (no doubt made worse by the job stress).  I was irritable and couldn't focus.  I was walked to the door after a very brief meeting with HR at the entrance that day.  Was one of the $hittiest days of my life. 

Sorry to hear you have the potential makings of the same.  I'd definitely find another doctor.  Explain the mental destruction you're going through and need some temporary "Family Leave" until the cycle is over.

J

What they said, plus regarding the thing about the assistant....

His assistant had the ignorance to tell me that cluster headaches are not debilitating enough to accommodate time off from work

It's sad to know that there are such willfully ignorant sloth bags (a term I just coined :D) out there that will "inform" a patient about a condition without even bothering to know the first thing about it. :( Sigh, such lower life forms can make extremely difficult situations even more so. And they actually get paid for it (??!!). :(

I'm outa cycle, so tell ya what: if you like, I'll take over all the hating and heaping of scorn on these medical idiots you had the highly unenviable misfortune of encountering, while you forget about 'em, let 'em go (so their ignorance no longer has a lingering, damaging effect on your psyche), and you can just focus on seeking out some better informed medical professionals - apparently there are some out there.

Give him the link to this site, my blog or my videos on youtube of me having attacks. Ask him after watching the video if that is not debilitating.

Not to tout my own horn buuut.

I have gotten people disability and insurance over my blog and videos. Just yesterday someone emailed me and thanked me for posting because after their insurance provider viewed my videos, they got coverage"

I myself, in Canada receive a disability pension through the government. That should speak volumes.???

There is a letter somewhere on the ch.com website printable for letters to employeers and collegues. I cant find it but if someone can print it that would be great.

it may also be tme to consider applying for disability.

I tried for years to work. There isnt a hope now for me to work.

Also ask you boss...if its not debilitating why would Tom have 4 brain surgeries????

I actually had someone say to me that as i went in for surgery"geez maybe they are that bad if he his having brain surgery" yeah dumb azz they are. du'h.

jimmys, PM me.  I am a South Florida attorney, and I'll be happy to speak with you about sending a strongly-worded letter on my firm letterhead to your employer and see where it goes from there.

Just a disclaimer I must provide to protect myself: I am not yet creating an attorney-client relationship with you.  I am agreeing to discuss your situation.  I do not specialize in employment law, but I am an accomplished attorney from a very reputable Florida firm and thus may be able to help you in this situation and am otherwise willing to at least consult with you.

I do recommend you try Dr. Steven Kobetz, a neuro from the OUCH list.  He's all the way down in Kendall at Baptist, but he understands CH seemingly better than your doc.  An attorney's letter can be very helpful, but nothing will compare to the word of a neurologist.  In fact, attaching a medical record/letter from a neurologist to an attorney's letter is absolutely your best bet.

jimmys, PM me.  I am a South Florida attorney, and I'll be happy to speak with you about sending a strongly-worded letter on my firm letterhead to your employer and see where it goes from there.

Just a disclaimer I must provide to protect myself: I am not yet creating an attorney-client relationship with you.  I am agreeing to discuss your situation.  I do not specialize in employment law, but I am an accomplished attorney from a very reputable Florida firm and thus may be able to help you in this situation and am otherwise willing to at least consult with you.

I do recommend you try Dr. Steven Kobetz, a neuro from the OUCH list.  He's all the way down in Kendall at Baptist, but he understands CH seemingly better than your doc.  An attorney's letter can be very helpful, but nothing will compare to the word of a neurologist.  In fact, attaching a medical record/letter from a neurologist to an attorney's letter is absolutely your best bet.

By god that's paying it forward.  Yer a hand.

Potter

Thank you all so very much for your support. I went to see another doc and he has no problem filling out the paperwork so I might be able to save my job.....my beef is with this other doc and his assistant. both of them blew me off like I was trying to scam some time off from work, telling me they don't hurt that much, I am 55 years old, my wife suffers from lupus and can't work and I can't really afford this time off but I'm taking it anyway, even at the risk of losing our income. that's how damn bad these cycles are. the assistant even went as far as to tell my wife she gets them too...are you kidding me. my job still is in limbo until this all gets straightened out. If I do however lose my  job I will seek legal action and have him explain why he bills my insurance company if he don't know what he's talking about.  I am going to send a copy of the colleague letter to the assistant, the doc, and their corporate office. thanks for letting me vent. PFDAN :-?

Here's a link to the colleague letter:

http://www.ouch-us.org/downloads/ch_syndrome.pdf

There's also this document (attached), which was printed brochure-style and handed out at the conference as an "official" ClusterBusters publication.  It has a lot of footnotes (okay--endnotes) to support its statements.

20_Facts_brochure_8-24-13.pdf

• 4 weeks later...