For the smart folks

CHfather

I don't know whether this is useful for those of you who ponder causation . . .  >>cluster headache is associated with a functional abnormality of the hypothalamus and that this association is a primary (i.e. idiopathic) and not a secondary phenomenon during the bout<<

Hypothalamic dopaminergic stimulation in cluster headache; Lepper A, Frese A, Summ O, Nofer J, Evers S; Cephalalgia 33 (14), 1155-1159 (Oct 2013)

BACKGROUND Cluster headache is associated with structural abnormalities of the hypothalamus. We were interested in the association of cluster headache with endocrinological functional abnormalities. Therefore, we applied the apomorphine challenge test, which is a specific test of hypothalamic dopaminergic activation.

METHODS We enrolled 13 patients with cluster headache outside the bout and without medication. They were stimulated with 0.005[ch8201]mg/kg of body weight subcutaneous apomorphine hydrochloride. After 45 and 60 minutes, growth hormone (GH), prolactin and cortisol were measured. The test was also applied to 14 sex- and age-matched healthy control subjects.

RESULTS There were significantly higher GH levels in healthy subjects as compared to cluster headache patients 45 minutes after injection (10.8[ch8201]±[ch8201]10.8 versus 4.4[ch8201]±[ch8201]7.4[ch8201]ng/ml; P [ch8201]=[ch8201]0.038). Only in cluster headache, the GH level after 60 minutes was not significantly different from the baseline. The levels of prolactin and cortisol did not show any significant differences between cluster headache patients and in healthy subjects.

DISCUSSION Our data suggest that cluster headache is associated with an impaired dopaminergic stimulation. This finding supports the body of evidence that cluster headache is associated with a functional abnormality of the hypothalamus and that this association is a primary (i.e. idiopathic) and not a secondary phenomenon during the bout.

Got a link to this abstract? 
  Sure.  It's the first item on this page (which is the results from searching [cluster headache] at docguide.com).  There are some other things there that might also be interesting, such as the second item, about hypnic headache.  I check here regularly to see what's new. (You might have to register, but it's free.)  http://www.docguide.com/search/apachesolr_search/cluster+headache?hash=79f19e18&eid=36288&alrhash=31fc8c-8911591a98c20cef4b6879f9491a0f46

And here's a more direct link to the abstract (still might require registration): http://www.docguide.com/hypothalamic-dopaminergic-stimulation-cluster-headache?tsid=5

• 3 weeks later...

All I know as a CHer for 25 years is that we are all abnormally smart in certain areas especially something to do with our artistic, cognitive, speech or visionary perspectives.  But, we are all relatively depressed individuals, say like Van Gogh.

We usually live longer lives if not killed off by prescribed medications than normal human beings.  Thus GH is bloody good in us!  We have a tolerance for very high dosage of pain, medications, drugs and alcohol.  We do not age as quickly as our counterparts and have extremely inquisitive minds plus strong personalities.

We are the future generation, I believe and one of every of our kids or their offspring will evolve further.

Only my opinion.

Jazz  ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 1/18/2014 at 11:41 PM, Jazz said:

All I know as a CHer for 25 years is that we are all abnormally smart in certain areas especially something to do with our artistic, cognitive, speech or visionary perspectives.  But, we are all relatively depressed individuals, say like Van Gogh.

We usually live longer lives if not killed off by prescribed medications than normal human beings.  Thus GH is bloody good in us!  We have a tolerance for very high dosage of pain, medications, drugs and alcohol.  We do not age as quickly as our counterparts and have extremely inquisitive minds plus strong personalities.

We are the future generation, I believe and one of every of our kids or their offspring will evolve further.

Only my opinion.

Jazz  ;)

Is that true about CH sufferes just curious I won't go into it now but I'm well yeah but I put that down to a few other things and because of the sycadelics but anyone I meet that has done these things seem to be switched on a lot more than others ever since the movie six cence came out I always say to myself I see silly well stupid people everywhere I don't mean it like that and I get a laugh out of it just curious because I don't know any CH sufferes