5447 attacks in a decade!

Cephalalgia

published on May 7, 2010

The chronic variant can be found in 10–20% of all cluster headache patients. While circadian and circannual rhythmicity are characteristic of the episodic variant, little is known on chronobiology in chronic cluster headache. We report a patient with chronic cluster evolved from episodic who recorded a total of 5447 attacks over 10 years. After spectral analysis, cosinor models were calculated within the frequency ranges of 23–25 h (circadian) and 11–13 months (circannual), respectively. Significant results (P < 0.01) were found for 24-h periods, but not for circannual intervals (12 months). However, with regard to circannual periodicity, a semi-circannual rhythm (5–7 months) was suitable for curve fit and yielded significant results in the cosinor analysis at 6 months (P < 0.05). This remarkable long observation period of 10 years shows that, at least for secondary chronic cluster headache which evolved from the episodic form, a typical circadian and circannual rhythmicity comparable to that of episodic cluster headache exists

http://cep.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/0333102409351754v1

shocked

That poor bastard!  I'm in year 3 now and I get so sad reading about others who've done or are doing this daily! 

Will this information help to get Orphan Drug & Disease $$$?  Could onset chronics become their own tiny little group that fits the criteria?  Secondary chronics have hope to at minimum return to episodic?   

• 3 weeks later...

5447 attacks in a decade sounds like a lot, but it breaks down to about 45.39 attacks in a month.  As you and I both know Ben, this is unfortunately quite reasonable for CCH.  Although I have been chronic since 2000, I have kept a diary for less than half that time.  It would be interesting, and someday I'll have to go back and total up the number of hits I recorded.

BTW Ben, I know that you once told me that you hadn't posted in a while because you were like so many CBs - busy having a life.  I hope that these posts don't mean renewed activity for you.  And of course, I am certainly not complaining about the wealth of information you post on these boards.  I think we all owe you a debt of gratitude for all your research.

bobb

Thank you for your concern and kind words Bobb mate, I’m doing just fine  :)

I feel for Mr 5447 I really do, but I canÂ’t help wondering (with thanks to Flash, Bob and the others)- how many hits IÂ’ve avoided by busting?

We are encouraged to keep a diary as it can help us and our physicians get a better handle on things.

I’ve met with/heard of many CH’ers who can tell you how many hits they’ve had over the years, and add – what time each one was, the ambient temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, what they had to eat, drink, taken, what they were doing and thinking, what they were wearing…..ok perhaps not what they were wearing but you get my drift.

What this article also shows is,- simply by keeping an account, one might add to and maybe even accelerate/escalate research.

Here are some more extended recordings – 9 week sleep study

A Sleep Study in Cluster Headache

G Della Marca

Institute of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience, Catholic University. Italy

A prolonged sleep study, consisting of a 9-week actigraphic recording and repeated polysomnography, with evaluation of both sleep macrostructure and microstructure. During the acute bout of the cluster we observed an irregular sleep-wake pattern and abnormalities of REM sleep.

We conclude that CH was associated, in this patient, with sleep dysregulation involving the biological clock and the arousal mechanisms, particularly in REM. All these abnormalities are consistent with posterior hypothalamic dysfunction.

http://cep.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/26/3/290

shocked

Does it have to be exact? I've been dealing with this since age 4 and no records till age 27 when I found out that I was supposed to be keeping them. I really didn't want to try and remember all those hits, makes me a little depressed. I dealt with this shit for all those years when the cure was in the poop next door. (cows next to our house)