new user

KarenD

Hi, it has been a while since I looked on this forum but wanted to share that I did try the mushrooms.  I did not get any type of "trip" from them (not sure why) but I do strongly feel that they are controlling my chronic cluster headaches.  I was able to go for one whole week without an episode!!!!   So happy.  Now I have to start again with new growth but I have to believe that they are the reason for my great experience for the week.  Thank you all.  If you have any guess as to why "no trip" I would love to hear it.  Thanks again  Karen :D

I don't have a guess about why "no trip", but for you to have obtained CH prevention results without tripping like that - it sounds like you've struck gold - CONGRATS!  :)

If you hadn't had the therapeutic results I'd probably be asking if you'd been on any blocking meds such as prednisone or triptans, and if you had taken a large enough dose, say at least 1g dry powder.

As I've dealt with this Wikipedia thing, I've been reading -- skimming, really -- some of the early reports.  One that Purple pointed me to -- the 2006 report by Sewell (RIP), Halpern, and Pope -- contains this: "22 (42%) of the 53 subjects reported partial or complete efficacy from subhallucinogenic doses of psilocybin or LSD."   We could (or could not) discuss what this means in terms of typical dosing recommendations today; my assumption is that as with seeds, the belief with psilo has become that it's wiser to take more so you're sure you've passed the threshold level for likely effectiveness.  Makes sense to me.  But clearly, from the study and KarenD's experience, sometimes less is enough (even for someone with chronic CH).

That is interesting.

I'll go ahead and discuss what subhallucinogenic means to me from my experience busting with vit M.....um just because I have a tendency to blab on about stuff  :D:

I've often enough found myself tripping (meaning feeling pretty intoxicated), while still remaining sub-hallucinogenic (no blatant hallucinations with eyes open).

So to me Karen D's "I did not get any type of trip from them" can mean another level significantly lower on the dosage effects scale than subhallucinogenic.

Not sure what to call that level, "sub-tripping"?

Anyhoo, my guess is that most if not all of the "22 (42%) of the 53 subjects who reported partial or complete efficacy from subhallucinogenic doses of psilocybin or LSD" did actually feel some sort of tripping/intoxication.

Do we need a scale, similar to the KIP scale for tripping? LOL 

I've never hallucinated with my eyes open, even when I took a whooping (for me) 2.4 gram dose. Eyes closed and I get pretty patterns, sure. But never anything with my eyes open.

Last night took a low .6 gram dose and felt mildly giddy and the colour green stood out a little more than normal.  But nothing I'd really call a 'trip'. More like a 'walk around the block'.

Oh, just thought of this. How about these words to better define tripping.

Walk - mild trip, no hallucinating, equal to one or two drinks.

Trip - moderate trip, pretty colours with eyes closed, feel almost drunk

Vacation - intense trip, quite drunk

Adventure - full blown trip, hallucinating, the works.

No, not being too serious at all, more a giggle.

MG

THE TRIP SCALE

People using tryptamines LSD in particular - for recreational, spiritual and self exploratory purposes developed a scale of the intensity of the experience, called the trip scale. It is somewhat useful in the treatment of cluster headaches as a gage of the amount of psychoactive substance ingested and therefore whether a therapeutic amount was used. Generally a trip level of one or less than one is adequate for the treatment of cluster headache.

Some clusterheads feel reaching more than trip level one makes little difference therapeutically and may simply result in a more intense psychedelic experience which might be good, and enjoyable, bad and disturbing, or both. Others however disagree, and feel that a stronger dose, reaching trip level two or three, may be more effective in treating stubborn cluster cycles. And some feel that reaching more than a level two might be counter productive in treating clusters

Level 1

This level produces a mild “stoning” effect, with some visual enhancement - colors may be brighter, outlines and contrasts more distinct. Some short-term memory anomalies. Left/right brain communication changes, causing music to sound “wider.”

Level 2

Brighter colors, and some subtle visual anomalies (i.e. objects appear to slightly shift position or “breathe”), some two-dimensional patterns become apparent upon shutting eyes. Confused or reminiscent thoughts. Change of short term memory leads to distractive thought patterns. Apparent vast increase in creativity as the natural brain filter is bypassed.

Level 3

Very obvious visual distortions: everything looking curved and/or warped, patterns and kaleidoscopes seen on walls, faces , etc. Some mild hallucinations such as rivers flowing in wood grain or “mother of pearl” surfaces. Closed eye images become 3 dimensional. There is some confusion of the senses (i.e. seeing sounds as colors, etc). Time distortions and “moments of eternity.”

Level 4

Strong hallucinations, i.e. objects morphing into other objects. Destruction or multiple splitting of the ego. (Things start talking to you, or you find that you are feeling contradictory things simultaneously.) Some loss of reality. Time becomes meaningless. Apparent out-of body-experiences and e.s.p.-type phenomena. Blending of the senses.

Level 5

Total loss of visual connection with reality. The senses cease to function in the normal way. Total loss of ego. Merging with space, other objects, or the universe. The loss of reality becomes so severe that it defies explanation. The earlier levels are relatively easy to explain in terms of measurable changes in perception and thought patterns. This level is different in that the actual universe within which things are normally perceived ceases to exist. Satori enlightenment (and other such labels).

Thanks Alleyoop, I was just about to track down the trip scale and post it.  For a comparison of my doses to the scale:

1.2g - Trip Level 1

1.7g - Trip Level 2 (this is the norm so I know I'm "getting the medicine")

2g - Just scratching the surface of Trip Level 3 (only a few times and just barely)

I've never really gone further than that,

J