Avoid alcohol? anything else?

Imigrant

Have a question of what to avoid during a period of cluster headache.

As I have understood alcohol can trig an attack, right?

So should you avoid to drink alcohol totally during a period?

Is there anything else you should avoid?

Doctors here (in Sweden) seems to know almost nothing about this headache, it feels like you have to educate them in this matter.

Doctors here (in Sweden) seems to know almost nothing about this headache, it feels like you have to educate them in this matter.

judging from what people have posted most people have to educate their doctors. its a very condition

hey Imigrant. Well, As a kid growing up in a household w/ a cronic clusterhead for a father, and now having about 2 cycles a year myself for the last 7 years, I know a lil bit about ch. Triggers are diff. for everyone, but the most common ones are..Alcohol,chocolate, onions,artificial sweeteners, nitrates(processed foods). Artificial sweeteners giv me a hit like a beer would :o  My old man can just smell onions cooking and get hit. He always kept a journal back in the 80's when he saw that he was all alone w/ this condition. You think doctors are dumb now?? try 1984 Anyhow, hope that helps

Thanks for the answers. So far I have only experienced that alcohol trigs my ache. For a long time I did not want to see that it really did as I am very found of good beer (IPA, stout etc) but now I take a white period when I´m in a cycle.

I don´t eat chocolate or artificial sweeteners so I don´t know how it would affect me and onions have´nt trigged an attack for me yet.

I can really imagine that it must have been really difficult back in the 80s to be understood how painful this really is.

When I got my first attacks in mid 90s I was put on several medicines (and also a scan of my brain to check if there was a tumour) but nothing worked until I got to try the injections of Imigran, glad I have something that works for me.

I have thought about asking for oxygen treatment to see if that works well, also good to minimize iinjecting chemicals into your body as well.

O2 is the safest abortive. It has no side effects and works for 90% of cluster sufferers. A journal is a great way to keep track of your hits and what you thought was the trigger. Be sure you get the right regulator, at least 15 lpm's, and you should be fine. Imitrex gives most people rebound hit's therefore defeating the purpose. It's also been known to cause heart problems. A friend of mine actually had a heart attack after an Imitrex shot. :'(

• 2 weeks later...
Imitrex gives most people rebound hit's therefore defeating the purpose. It's also been known to cause heart problems. A friend of mine actually had a heart attack after an Imitrex shot.

thats scarry, very scarry!!!

my last day of hell i found my self in the ER from too much imitrex, my heart rate was like 47, at one point i couldnt talk, all tingly and fluttery feeling, not a heart attack but i wasnt right any ways . . .

artificial sweeteners, bacon ( nitrates and processed) chocolate, most everything at your corner gas station, really cold things, ice cream,

DAYTIME NAPS -  try and stay active dont get drowsy infront of the tv

pain meds (narcotics) hydrocodone darvocets, arthritis meds.

bright sunlight

all these send me to hell when in cycle wich is always cuz these fuggers dont wanna stop

good luck, i would share my o2 if i could

Hi

I`m sure you know, some food, allot of food actually, seems to take a couple of days to react, just mentioning it in case you don't know.

Avocado has something triggering neurological conditions.

Same goes for bananas.

I react to omega 3, and antioxydants!!!

And your everyday rhythm. I get up at 6 everyday, holiday or not. Eating the right food even if i`m better, because if not, i cant take other triggers maybe. Triggers that i cant control. Like people BATHING in perfume, if i have to tank my car etc.

I think the time you get up in the morning is essential, it has to be in order to your sleeping/CH routine, cycle.

Alcohol, haven't taken the chance. Not worth it.

I call CSI epilepsy TV.... 

Exercise i find important.

Doing this, i could eat 3 ice creams and one chocolate during two weeks holiday now. Sounds little, but is HUGE  for me :)

How are you?