Demand Valves

1EYEcries

In the Cluster Resources section of this site, it recommends Life Gas as a supplier of demand valves. Unfortunately they will no longer be supplying the regulator for H/M tanks. they still sell the ones for E tanks.

I have recently tried to obtain a demand valve set up, and got a big run around and got no where with Lifegas.

www.boundtree.com has the exact rregulator that Life Gas used to supply. https://www.boundtree.com/lsp-brass-oxygen-pressure-regulators-group-11851-73.aspx

To acquire these materials you must have an o2 script and a supplier or medical provider. They do NOT sell to patients

1i

We got ours on eBay.  It was used, so buying it was a gamble, but it worked well.  I see there seem to be some new ones on sale at eBay now.  For example, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Life-Support-Products-Demand-Valve-NEW-L063-050-/141096734246?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20da054e26   Not cheap, but considerably less than the one at boundtree . . . and no script/provider required.

Hope you're doing okay, 1i.  Think of you often.

O2 regulators are no problem..... http://www.wtfarley.com/ sells about anything you can think of. CGA 540 reg with a DISS is $55.00. There are of course other places to look such as Ebay, but if you want one right now they are a good option.

There are also adapters.....If you were to buy an E tank regulator, you can purchase an adapter to allow usage on a 540 outlet....or the other way around. Go here: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/mh-transfillers.htm to check that option out.

There are other ways to get high flow o2 other than demand valves....they just happen to be the best and one of the most costly. I love mine, but I get about the same results from a 40lpm reg and a clustermask.....it just uses slight more O2.

thanks for the links guys, after my appeal hopefully i can get my benefits back and pick up a demand valve.

i prefer the demand valve so i dont waste anything if im not breathin heavy enough, and of course falling asleep with the o2 on wont be an issue

hate them night time hits

i have also been constructing a letter, which i want to send to medicare and those in charge of writing the blue book and regulations. im still baffled that they dont cover oxygen for us.

i was thinking if we all sent a letter to the same persons or representatives we could get some action in our favor.

right now they claim o2 is too expensive and inneffective for ch, and the optimask is a luxury... yea a luxury  >:(

O2 regulators are no problem..... http://www.wtfarley.com/ sells about anything you can think of. CGA 540 reg with a DISS is $55.00. There are of course other places to look such as Ebay, but if you want one right now they are a good option.

There are also adapters.....If you were to buy an E tank regulator, you can purchase an adapter to allow usage on a 540 outlet....or the other way around. Go here: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/mh-transfillers.htm to check that option out.

There are other ways to get high flow o2 other than demand valves....they just happen to be the best and one of the most costly. I love mine, but I get about the same results from a 40lpm reg and a clustermask.....it just uses slight more O2.

Not to challenge my respected colleague and friend: I must disagree with the standard position that "it just uses slightly more O2." 

That has been repeated so often that everyone accepts it.

I have been making this simple statement for over 9 years and have never had anyone show me where I was wrong:

If a user like me simply adjusts the regulator so that the bag never overflows, the O2  consumption is identical to a demand valve.

Yes, a demand valve eliminates the need to think about it. But, after more than 14 years of being chronic, when sucking O2 - there isn't much else on your mind - you DO focus on breathing O2.

High flow O2 at 35-45 LPM saved my life, using a welding O2 and a standard CGA-540 welding regulator........

Marc

If a user like me simply adjusts the regulator so that the bag never overflows, the O2  consumption is identical to a demand valve.

I agree with your statement 100%. However........the waste comes when one stops to cough....down some water to combat the dry throat or any other such pause and the bag fills to capacity and then vents. For myself I don't cut it back under those circumstances because I will be back to it shortly. Maybe I'm the odd one but during use I tend to worry about getting enough flow and not as much about overflow. So that's why I say slightly....it's not much but it's enough to notice when your anal like I am.  ;D

I do try to stress that a demand valve is the high end option. A welding reg or a 40lpm med unit will abort just as well and at a lower equipment cost. I have tanks set up in my home office, my bedroom and my truck....only one is a demand valve. I sure won't run past the other two to get to it...that should tell ya something.

If a user like me simply adjusts the regulator so that the bag never overflows, the O2consumption is identical to a demand valve. 

Yea thanks captain obvious, gee why didnt I think of that?

I have two collapsed hip joints and can barely walk... ill just stand by my tank for an hour at a time. thanks for your help!

If a user like me simply adjusts the regulator so that the bag never overflows, the O2consumption is identical to a demand valve. 

I have two collapsed hip joints and can barely walk... ill just stand by my tank for an hour at a time. thanks for your help!

Totally uncalled for! 

Play nice guys.

I agree with your statement 100%. However........the waste comes when one stops to cough....down some water to combat the dry throat or any other such pause and the bag fills to capacity and then vents. For myself I don't cut it back under those circumstances because I will be back to it shortly. Maybe I'm the odd one but during use I tend to worry about getting enough flow and not as much about overflow. So that's why I say slightly....it's not much but it's enough to notice when your anal like I am.  ;D

I do try to stress that a demand valve is the high end option. A welding reg or a 40lpm med unit will abort just as well and at a lower equipment cost. I have tanks set up in my home office, my bedroom and my truck....only one is a demand valve. I sure won't run past the other two to get to it...that should tell ya something.

I stand corrected, Sir.

I can suck in almost 3 liters in a breath, so I use a larger bag that floats around 1/2 full while in use, so it doesn't overflow when I need a swig of ice water. If I'm backing away for longer, I just close the main valve - leaving the regulator where it always sits.

Marc

Not sure why my post angered you, but people like you are a good example of why I don't bother posting here.

Marc

Anger goes with the territory sometimes, every now and then. And sometimes a dry, witty response can be misinterpeted. It's complicated! We share and come here for help. I don't post a lot these days, but I come here because I want to know how my friends are doing and I wonder where some went. I was happy to "hear" from AO and have thought of him many times.

I come here to learn and I am so impressed with this group that never stops amazing me with their knowledge and passion.

This just makes me sad.         Leslie

Anger goes with the territory sometimes, every now and then. And sometimes a dry, witty response can be misinterpeted. It's complicated! We share and come here for help. I don't post a lot these days, but I come here because I want to know how my friends are doing and I wonder where some went. I was happy to "hear" from AO and have thought of him many times.

I come here to learn and I am so impressed with this group that never stops amazing me with their knowledge and passion.

This just makes me sad.         Leslie

If you are saying that I misinterpreted a dry witty response, I will have to respectfully disagree with your opinion.

I do know a little about O2 for CH's and I've found that most people don't - so sometimes you have to explain it.

Marc

people like you are a good example of why I don't bother posting here.
  Well, if we stipulate that AO's response was a little rough, and we agree that Potter can sometimes be gruff (though I love AO and Potter is almost always right, gruff or not), I can't think of who the "people like you" are that you are referring to.  I'm here going on four years now, and I've read every single post during that time, and I can remember maybe two or three times when someone was seriously out of line.  I completely agree with Leslie:

I am so impressed with this group that never stops amazing me with their knowledge and passion.

And since it seems you have a lot to offer us, I also agree with her:

This just makes me sad.

I hope you'll stick around.