Update

didgens

Hi All ,, havn't been checking in on you all.  The update on my son is that there isn't one.  He has had 1 minor CH since having all 4 wisdom teeth removed. But the same thing happened last year at this time.  The test will come in June/July when he got the most in a row he's ever had.  So I will let you know if anything changes there. 

However the reason I havn't checked in is because my husband was just diagnosed with Lung Cancer.   Not looking for sympathy but there is something interesting here.  He has a very rare type of lung cancer called a Pancoast tumor.  He has been suffering almost a year with this and been mis-diagnosed by 7 doctors.  It wasn't until I googled his symptoms and found that they match a Pancoast tumor that we left our network of doctors and went to UCLA medical center and he was diagnosed.  What was the symptom that I caught and all the other doctors missed ????  Horner Syndrome .. yep .. you should all know that as a drooping eyelid, sweat on one side and not the other ,, and dialiated pupil.  (don't panic .. unless you have pain in your sholder blade that radiates down your ulnar nerve im sure you don't have a pancoast tumor).  However when I looked up Horner syndrome, besides a pancoast tumor another cause is Cluster headache.  Now my husbands horners is being caused by the tumor in the upper apex of his lung pushing on the sympathetic chain in the brachial plexus.   Just thought I would mention this as perhaps the problem isn't in the brain at all.  anyway ,, I just thought id mention as something to consider.   be well

Well, didg, you're not asking for sympathy, but you and your husband certainly have my best wishes.  I see that at least the prognosis is better for his kind of tumor than for many other forms of lung cancer.  Hoping that things will turn out well for him.

..my husband was just diagnosed with Lung Cancer...

Oh no.....trying not to say sympathy stuff here, but feeling sympathy stuff just the same....

I see that at least the prognosis is better for his kind of tumor than for many other forms of lung cancer.

Thank gosh for that aspect!

I just wonder if there isn't something lower on the sympathetic chain causing the CH's ?

I don't blame you for wondering that, considering what you've been learning lately. Best wishes for that pancoast tumor growth slowing to a halt - and then even reversing course.

Now for all I know, non-toxic CBD from our pal Mother Nature is just the next hoped for tumor killer that won't end up panning out, but in my little bit of recent looking around, there's definitely excitement out there regarding it.

Here's an abstract:

Cannabidiol as potential anticancer drug.

Massi P1, Solinas M, Cinquina V, Parolaro D.

Author information

1Department of Pharmacology, Chemotherapy and Toxicology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy.

Abstract

Over the past years, several lines of evidence support an antitumourigenic effect of cannabinoids including [ch916](9)-tetrahydrocannabinol ([ch916](9)-THC), synthetic agonists, endocannabinoids and endocannabinoid transport or degradation inhibitors. Indeed, cannabinoids possess anti-proliferative and pro-apoptotic effects and they are known to interfere with tumour neovascularization, cancer cell migration, adhesion, invasion and metastasization. However, the clinical use of [ch916](9)-THC and additional cannabinoid agonists is often limited by their unwanted psychoactive side effects, and for this reason interest in non-psychoactive cannabinoid compounds with structural affinity for [ch916](9)-THC, such as cannabidiol (CBD), has substantially increased in recent years. The present review will focus on the efficacy of CBD in the modulation of different steps of tumourigenesis in several types of cancer and highlights the importance of exploring CBD/CBD analogues as alternative therapeutic agents.

© 2012 The Authors. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology © 2012 The British Pharmacological Society.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22506672

thanks for the info jeebs.  My sister-in-law also had me look up something I had never heard of called Sun's Tea.  Its pretty expensive and has an extensive list of ingredients.  as far as the CBD maybe a little trip to Colorado is in order. 

as far as the CBD maybe a little trip to Colorado is in order.

That is exactly what what I was thinking too (for a high CBD medical marijuana strain such as Harlequin as a treatment for a relative's nerve pain), but upon further investigation it turns out high CBD hemp oil concentrate is legal in all 50 states, since it is non-psychoactive. It's about 21% CBD, 1% THC.

I've just updated my ongoing spiel on that subject in this thread here:

https://www.clusterheadaches.com/cb/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1391219173/0#19

• 2 weeks later...

thanks .. my best friends brother who Is battling Melanoma now also mentioned this to me as well. I will definitely take a look.

news from docs on Monday was grim.  Distant Mestastis, not operable, given a year although doc thinks my husband is in better shape than most so will probably live longer. Had to tell sons Saturday that their father wont survive this.  :( ,, 

I just wonder if there isn't something lower on the sympathetic chain causing the CH's ? 

Most likely it's just the opposite: CH overstymulates vagal system, causing Horner Syndrome or even syncopes and collapse (I for once, experienced them a couple of times).

This reminds me of an article I was reading the other day from Scientific American, about the so-called "second brain" that resides in our intestines (the "enteric nervous system").  The whole article is pretty interesting, but there were two points in it that I found possibly somehow relevant.

1. "The enteric nervous system uses more than 30 neurotransmitters, just like the brain, and in fact 95 percent of the body's serotonin is found in the bowels."  Reminded me of the suggestion made more than once by someone (Ricardo, I think) of using tryptamine suppositories.

2. "Scientists were shocked to learn that about 90 percent of the fibers in the primary visceral nerve, the vagus, carry information from the gut to the brain and not the other way around."  I was thinking about that gammaCore device that was previewed at the CB conference and tested by some folks, which works by affecting the vagus nerve. (I'm going to post something about that in another thread.)

Here's the Scientific American article: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/

Oh, didg, I am so, so sorry to read this.  People have surprised their doctors before, and we all know you're not the type to leave a stone unturned.  Wishing for the best.

Jerry

All I can think of is to echo Jerry's sentiments word for word, and I've come to think that "leave no stone unturned" is your middle name Didg!

Over the years I've seen a few impressive testimonials for new natural cancer "cures" that don't end up living up to their promise, so I hesitate to go all anecdotal while continuing to harp about CBD here, but FWIW here I go:

We talked to a friend of the family recently, and the way I remember it he'd been given a prognosis of a year for his case of lung cancer. That was 15 years ago, he's doing well, and he credits it to the CBD. I think he may have a Youtube video where he recounts his experience - I'm looking into getting the link for that.

Ditto on CHf and Jeebs sentiments didgens!!!

I wasn't aware of the use of CBD as a cancer treatment, however, I do know that Paul Stamets has had personal success with a regimen of Turkey Tail mushrooms!!  In one if his many lectures on YouTube video, he tells the story of his mom calling to tell him that she had been diagnosed with stage 4 metastasized breast cancer.....he then spoke about the regimen he put her on....and ended by having her walk up to the podium....cancer free!!!!  If I remember correctly, he has since been awarded research grants for clinical trials and I do know that he has Turkey Tail capsules available at his Fungi Perfecti site!!

DD

I'm a firm believer there is medicine in the plants all around us, but our "progress" and bogus laws to create profit industries have really hurt our expansion and understanding of how to use nature to our benefit (instead of plowing it over for shopping malls :(

My father was given marinol (synthetic marijuana) to help treat his brain cancer.  It helped reduce brain swelling, eased pain and increased his appetite.  I had never heard of it and a VERY interesting fact I didn't know before.  In Tennessee marijuana is illegal, but somehow the doctors can prescribe the synthetic marinol??  Hmmmm,  if all the laws are correct then there should be no medical use for marijuana, and yet there are contradictions all around us...  Even states that outlaw marijuana, CBD's etc, all allow the prescription of the synthetics.  (I guess as long as the drug companies can get a cut of the $) 

J

Reminded me of the suggestion made more than once by someone (Ricardo, I think) of using tryptamine suppositories

It's a bad idea. Rectal absorption is totally erratic and mostly local. Also the time required for the drug to reach the blood is way too long to help us with a cluster attack, wich need prompt treatment. That's why Imitrex is injected instead than taken orally.

I'm a firm believer there is medicine in the plants all around us, but our "progress" and bogus laws to create profit industries have really hurt our expansion and understanding of how to use nature to our benefit (instead of plowing it over for shopping malls 

That's sadly very true. There are around quite a bunch of very promising natural cancer treatments available, but the Big Pharmas keep them from being researched.

Because you cannot monopolize a natural resource, like a plant, and they will stop making the HUGE disgusting profits they make by selling chemoterapics.

Don't let me start this topic, I do work with these evil beasts every day in my hospital, and it's so unethical I almost hate myself.

Also the time required for the drug to reach the blood is way too long to help us with a cluster attack
Not talking about a suppository as an abortive, doc.  Not recommending it as anything.  Just saying that a couple of prominent folks here have discussed taking seeds as suppositories.  I googled for those quotes; here are a couple:

spiny: >>I know seeds can be taken via suppository<<

Ricardo: >>as funny as the "Hawaiian Baby Woodrose Seeds and LSA Suppositories" link is, it is also a serious article that has a real way of bypassing any sort of nausea or bad taste<<  This is the link Ricardo was referring to: http://www.neurosoup.com/hawaiian-baby-woodrose-seeds-and-lsa-suppositories/

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't aware of the use of CBD as a cancer treatment

is an eye opener. Getting to be quite a bit of info. on alternative treatments for various conditions, but need to do a lot of double checking. It is the internet after all, lots of BS available also.